Maximum power draw of 8.4W.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM SATA III
    A dual-platter drive released in 2010.
    Claimed seek time of 4.2 ms
    126mb/s internal transfer speed
    64mb of cache
    Maximum power draw of 6.8W.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-06-01 at 12:20 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightbliss View Post
    Theres no difference.
    /Thread

Not even SATAIII SSD's can blow SATAIII bandwith let alone mechanical hard drives.

Happy?
    There is as you can see in the link I posted.

Oh by the way, why were you bitching about motherboards? Nobody said anything about motherboards, we were talking about HDD prices, and suddenly you show up.

Not even SATAIII SSD's can blow SATAIII bandwith let alone mechanical hard drives.
    Wrong.

Latest SATA3 SSD's are doing already 550mbps transfer rates, which is very close to SATA3's maximum of 600mbps. I'm 100% sure every major SSD manufacturer could cap the 600mbps already if they wanted, but what's the point since there's no faster connection available.

That is why OCZ is working on the RevoDrive (plugs into 4x PCIe instead of slow SATA3).
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sata 3 for hard drives may slightly improve performance through burst, but usually what people would see is a newer technology drive difference.

Sata 3 only really benefits the latest ssd drives to any major degree.

So, for what its convenient to you, theres a reason to use SATAIII but for what it isn't, it isn't to use SATAII?
    Make your mind up and stop contradicting yourself for the sake of contradicting me.

The difference between SATAII and SATAIII performance on Hard Drives is irrelevant and meaningless as seen on that Benchmark from OC.
    The difference between SATAII And SATAIII on SSD's is noticeable if the SSD is SATAIII ready.
    However, my point still stands, SATAIII SSD's can't use all of SATAIII bandiwith independently of the reasons for such.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    That is why OCZ is working on the RevoDrive (plugs into 4x PCIe instead of slow SATA3).
    Current revodrives utilize very heavy amounts of RAID0 though. As far as I recall, the upcoming model will use 8 separate 'units'.

You can certainly blow past the SATAIII limits with ease though given sufficient money for the NAND chips.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So, for what its convenient to you, theres a reason to use SATAIII but for what it isn't, it isn't to use SATAII?
    Make your mind up and stop contradicting yourself for the sake of contradicting me.

The difference between SATAII and SATAIII performance on Hard Drives is irrelevant and meaningless as seen on that Benchmark from OC.
    The difference between SATAII And SATAIII on SSD's is noticeable if the SSD is SATAIII ready.
    However, my point still stands, SATAIII SSD's can't use all of SATAIII bandiwith independently of the reasons for such.
    Oh ffs, get off your high horse. Did you just wake up on the wrong side of the bed or have you not had your morning coffee? Go get some and stop ruining the calm nature of, what frankly is, my thread where I'm asking about some HDDs. Others have answered, you're in here with some unreasonably negative attitude practically attacking everyone. Just back off, quit while you're behind, you've been derailing this thread.
    Last edited by DeltrusDisc; 2011-06-01 at 12:46 PM.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    Current revodrives utilize very heavy amounts of RAID0 though. As far as I recall, the upcoming model will use 8 separate 'units'.
    All/most old bigger than 80GB SSDs used internally RAID0, that's why big discs were much faster than slower ones. Not entirely sure if they're still doing that, probably not, just heavily parallelized the RAM chips.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    You can certainly blow past the SATAIII limits with ease though given sufficient money for the NAND chips.
    Can see whole SATA standard dying soon unless they shape up and getting limited to the old mechanical discs like PATA is for some DVD drives today, it's way too slow for SSDs really.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Oh ffs, get off your high horse. Did you just wake up on the wrong side of the bed or have you not had your morning coffee? Go get some and stop ruining the calm nature of, what frankly is, my thread where I'm asking about some HDDs. Others have answered, you're in here with some unreasonably negative attitude practically attacking everyone. Just back off, quit while you're behind, else I will report your posts for derailment, as you did do that.
    For your information, threatening to report someone is against the forum rules so you can be penalised for threatening to report my posts.
    Still I dare you.

And by the way, chill down, you seem tense.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    For your information, threatening to report someone is against the forum rules so you can be penalised for threatening to report my posts.
    Still I dare you.

And by the way, chill down, you seem tense.
    Fair enough, either way, stop being so negative or stop posting in my thread, *please*.

Simple.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Oh my, so much hostility in this thread. Calm down now, stop the personal attacks and stay on-topic.

Deleted
    Not entirely sure if they're still doing that, probably not, just heavily parallelized the RAM chips.
    More NAND chips and therefore more NAND channels yes (4 for low capacity, 8 for high capacity is a common division), but the REVOdrive uses multiple controllers - and they in turn have multiple NAND channels

The most notable issue that crops up with the REVOdrive is that this layout renders it incompatible with TRIM, just like when running regular SSDs in RAID.
    Can see whole SATA standard dying soon unless they shape up and getting limited to the old mechanical discs like PATA is for some DVD drives today
    I would not say dying. Its a solid standard for more traditional drives. But it may actually be something that Thunderbolt/Lightpeak could pick up on.

SSDs themselves also aren't confined to any particular physical shapes; which makes them highly flexible (both for connectivity and mounting purposes). A couple of desktop motherboards with mSATA have popped up within the last month for this very reason.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-06-01 at 01:08 PM.

I just upgraded my entire build up to a Z68 motherboard with a WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA III hard drive and the speed difference is definitely noticeable over my old P45 board with a Samsung Spinpoint F3 SATA II 1TB hard drive.

Picture folders load instantly, there's almost no "stop and wait" with the drive whatsoever, burst extraction of archives is very quick (a 600mb TV show extracts in 2-3 seconds tops where it used to take considerably longer) if the file is under 1GB, and it generally feels like a definite upgrade compared to my old drive.

The Z68 board also has the ability to pair an SSD with a mechanical drive using Intel's Smart Response Technology to increase the access speed of commonly used files, so buying a mechanical drive is far from pointless as some people are insinuating. I haven't tried with an SSD yet (it's the next thing on my purchase list) but by all accounts it's pretty awesome.
    -Cazic, 85 Death Knight, Draenor-EU
    -Chaosweaver, 85 Warlock, Draenor-EU

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CW View Post
    so buying a mechanical drive is far from pointless as some people are insinuating.
    Don't think anyones been suggesting mechanical drives are pointless.

They're still far far cheaper per storage unit, available in lower (usable size) prices, and have greater maximum capacities in the consumer market.

SSDs are strong system drives, but are ill suited as storage drives; also because they have a much lower data retention rate than HDDs. (A sector of a SSD that isn't written to for a few years will eventually loose its data and reset)

Deleted
    I just upgraded my entire build up to a Z68 motherboard with a WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA III hard drive and the speed difference is definitely noticeable over my old P45 board with a Samsung Spinpoint F3 SATA II 1TB hard drive.

Picture folders load instantly, there's almost no "stop and wait" with the drive whatsoever, burst extraction of archives is very quick (a 600mb TV show extracts in 2-3 seconds tops where it used to take considerably longer) if the file is under 1GB, and it generally feels like a definite upgrade compared to my old drive.

The Z68 board also has the ability to pair an SSD with a mechanical drive using Intel's Smart Response Technology to increase the access speed of commonly used files, so buying a mechanical drive is far from pointless as some people are insinuating. I haven't tried with an SSD yet (it's the next thing on my purchase list) but by all accounts it's pretty awesome.
    Sure your speed has increased, but most of that is not due to upgrading to a SATA III drive.

You're talking 2 different CPU architectures and on top of that 2 different drives made by other brands.

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Now plug that WD Black into one of your SATA II ports and see if you notice a difference. It's unlikely you will.