Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What should you put on a SSD?

Besides the obvious OS, games you play a lot.
    Is there a point in adding your web browser (Firefox) for instance? Your Antivirus? Other little things that you download....

I have a 60gb so i cant add everything.
    Last edited by Darger; 2011-06-01 at 06:37 PM.

i put all my apps on my SSD and all data like music, pictures, videos on a storage drive.

I wouldn't waste that expensive space my filling it with pictures and music. There is no point of having them on SSD. All you need to move their is your OS and games .. that's it. Putting anti-virus in SSD won''t really make any difference. I would leave that space for future use.
    FPS News
    Latest First Person Shooter, First Person and FPS News .. Get daily updates!

Anything that starts up with my computer (antivirus, CoreTemp + other monitoring programs, etc) went on my SSD. WoW went on it, LoL, WoT, and Starcraft 2; everything else is on my HDD. I have a 120GiB drive though, so it's a bit roomier than yours.

For you, I'd recommend Windows, startup programs, and one (maybe two) programs that have hellish load times, like WoW with a ton of addons for instance. It's good to leave 10% or more free space on the drive so TRIM can work, by the way... don't fill it to the brim!
    Last edited by Nellah; 2011-06-01 at 08:24 PM.
    Super casual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Putting your web browser wouldn't make a difference, because you'd still have to get all your crap loaded from the servers anyway.
    I threw C4D and Photoshop on mine because I hate waiting for them to load, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by iron hide View Post
    I wouldn't waste that expensive space my filling it with pictures and music. There is no point of having them on SSD. All you need to move their is your OS and games .. that's it. Putting anti-virus in SSD won''t really make any difference. I would leave that space for future use.
    Just like Ironhide said your OS and high speed games would be what you would want to put on there. With WoW being so big now and your OS taking up a few gigs that doesn't leave much room left to play with besides another game or two.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Anything which thrashes I/O heavily, for us that would mostly be WoW and other obnoxiously large games.

OS if you're picky about a few seconds of boot time and haven't figured out how to sleep a computer yet. ^.^
    red panda red panda red panda!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    Putting your web browser wouldn't make a difference
    Yes but atleast the browser will startup in like 0.5 seconds instead of the usual ~3-5 secs it takes from HDD.

I have some stuff like Afterburner, Coretemp, etc startup with the PC and after a month of use I don't think the boot times have increased...at all. I can click on Firefox icon the moment my desktop shows and it starts instantly. I hope it stays like this forever
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

15+ Year Old Account
    Um..

Yes but atleast the browser will startup in like 0.5 seconds instead of the usual ~3-5 secs it takes from HDD.
    *clicks IE9 icon, which hasn't been opened since Saturday*

*loads instantly*

What?

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Is this like a 12 RPM HDD?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Um..

*loads instantly*

What?
    Wait, so reboot your machine and as soon as you see the desktop (don't wait for everything to load in system tray) double-click the IE9 icon. Does it really load instantly? And you're running an HDD? That would be interesting.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-06-02 at 01:51 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Um..

*loads instantly*

What?
    I prefer not having my HDD spin up if I don't need it to.

Wait, so reboot your machine and as soon as you see the desktop (don't wait for everything to load in system tray) double-click the IE9 icon. Does it really load the instantly? And you're running an HDD? That would be interesting.
    This right here. The sole fact that I can open a browser, AIM, My Computer and Steam at the same time, immediately after I log in after a fresh boot, that is before even explorer has fully initialized, and have them ALL load within 2 seconds is proof enough for me. You can't do that with a normal HDD, even my VelociRaptor has an issue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cows For Life View Post
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Cantii View Post
    This right here. The sole fact that I can open a browser, AIM, My Computer and Steam at the same time, immediately after I log in after a fresh boot, that is before even explorer has fully initialized, and have them ALL load within 2 seconds is proof enough for me. You can't do that with a normal HDD, even my VelociRaptor has an issue with that.

+1
    You can, just have the HDD save the state before you turn the computer off, Sure you get a file of maybe 5 gig (for me atleast) but that is hardly an issue with 1 TB of space.

Quote Originally Posted by jaksan View Post
    You can, just have the HDD save the state before you turn the computer off, Sure you get a file of maybe 5 gig (for me atleast) but that is hardly an issue with 1 TB of space.
    Or you can just use the SSD and boot it in a much faster time without needlessly fragmenting your HDD...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantii View Post
    Or you can just use the SSD and boot it in a much faster time without needlessly fragmenting your HDD...
    Hibernate won't cause fragmentation, as the space needed to save the RAM to disk is normally 100% reserved, and done so during OS installation. It simply overwrites the existing reserved sectors.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wait, so reboot your machine and as soon as you see the desktop (don't wait for everything to load in system tray) double-click the IE9 icon. Does it really load instantly? And you're running an HDD? That would be interesting.
    Why would I reboot my machine when I don't have to? :P

Also, yes, it's on a 640GB WD Caviar Black. Do you want me to take a video of it loading instantly? because I can.

And before you start with the "OH WELL U HAVNT USED AN SSD TO KNOW LOL", I had Win7 installed on my Vertex2 before, and the difference between that and my Cav Black is nil.

I heard there's a power option to turn off disk spindown.

Deleted
    Why would I reboot my machine when I don't have to? :P

Also, yes, it's on a 640GB WD Caviar Black. Do you want me to take a video of it loading instantly? because I can.

And before you start with the "OH WELL U HAVNT USED AN SSD TO KNOW LOL", I had Win7 installed on my Vertex2 before, and the difference between that and my Cav Black is nil.

I heard there's a power option to turn off disk spindown.
    Some people don't know how to optimize and keep their PC healthy, so they overkill to get the same performance you can get with a HDD.

Maybe im wierd, but I will NEVER put my OS on a SSD again.

120GB vertex 2, 4 months later BOOM no BOOTMGR message, SSD blew up.

Decided to try short striping my 2x 1TB WD black with 64MB cache.

Its sad really, the short stripe is moving 240MB/s with an 8ms response time(peaks at 270MB/s)

The SSD moves 250MB/s, with a 1ms response time (peaks at 285MB/s)

I got the drive replaced and still haven't loaded anything onto it. Yeah the response time is alot better, but with the short lifespan my first drive had im afraid of it dying again. The only game that im looking to load on it right now is BF3 when it comes out. That game is going to be AMAZING.

I wish i had waited for vertex 3 8(. Sata 3+ those speeds would have been worth the money. I feel i got very little bang for my buck with the vertex 2.
    Last edited by Elgand; 2011-06-02 at 01:40 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elgand View Post
    120GB vertex 2,
    You got an SSD from a brand well known for having failure rate almost Ten Times that of the most reliable brand, Intel.

I'm also guessing that you've never used more than a few mechanical hard drives before. I've said this before and I'll say this again; last year I had to replace six mechanical hard drives. Have gone error free the entire current year so far, but I am growing a bit suspicious on one of my WD Scorpio Black drives.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-06-02 at 01:47 PM.