Exclamation FPS shooter games single minded POV (Point Of View)

We have seen many FPS shooter games come and go but they all have one thing in common and that is they all feels biased. For an

instance all WW 2 games that has been made over the years how many of those has been from both Axis and Allied POV? Personally Im

longing after a game in the genre which partly dosen't feel like propaganda and you can make up your own assumption on the specfic event.

What do you guys think?

Comment and please stay constructive.

China just released a game where you play as Chinese soldiers and are taking down American soldiers.

Will it be released in eu/us? :P

I'm sure some of it has to do with the fact that a game where you play from the view of Nazi Germany would probably a) not sell very well, and b) because the news would destroy a game where you could play as nazis.

History have always been written from the PoV of the winners. Gaming is no different in this matter.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Games aren't as fun if you lose in the end.
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think its easier to make a game where 'most' people in your targeted demographic will consider the enemy as overall bad guys. It also like cherb said, would pretty much create less of a political / media shit storm.

This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives and we die, his truth becomes written-and ours is lost. 'Cause all you need to change the world is one good lie and a river of blood.
    Last edited by Syatek92; 2011-06-01 at 08:24 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, the side that wins the battle writes the history. Everything we know of every major war is completely biased. Sure it would be interesting somewhat to see both sides of a conflict, but it isn't exactly relative for most people. Sweet in this level we get to sweep villages in Germany for Jews and commit horrible atrocities upon them. Boy that sure does sound exciting!

There was a shooter that was coming out a while back about the war in Iraq that allowed you to play as an actual terrorist group and use actual terrorist tactics to kill NATO or US forces. That didn't go over so well and the game either got canned or was completely re-made into terribleness (I think it was Six Days in Fallujah).

Personally, I would rather keep that stuff behind the veil. It is one thing to learn how the other side thinks in order to beat them. It is a completely different affair to fight for that side. Maybe it would work for a shooter based in the future. In no way would it work for past events as everyone is completely biased about them and a video game isn't going to change that.

---------- Post added 2011-06-01 at 04:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by slaise1 View Post
    Will it be released in eu/us? :P
    I've never heard of it, but it is extremely doubtful. And besides that isn't giving any sort of insight into the other side of a conflict as any conflict portrayed in that game is completely fake.

Bloodsail Admiral WaitingforSWTOR's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cherb View Post
    I'm sure some of it has to do with the fact that a game where you play from the view of Nazi Germany would probably a) not sell very well, and b) because the news would destroy a game where you could play as nazis.
    Day of Defeat
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomChickn View Post
    The reason the smart people are miserable because their head hurts so much from facepalming at all the stupid people, its so simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    I was more thinking like you could play as germans from 1939-1942/1943 and then you start to play as an allied soldier :P

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent disagrees with you.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

I think it would be cool, but as others have stated there are many things blocking it.

Here's an example: Say you beat Medal of Honor on hard mode or w/e, and this unlocks a German PoV. Maybe it let you fight the battle they lost (Dieppe Beach), or maybe it let you fight in some of that battles they actually won. That way the game could still sell on the premise it is "all-american heroes" but once someone actually beats it they'll be like oh cool this is different. But then that's when people would start raging.

It is a sad world we live in when people are afraid of a fictional story, or even factual history. But who knows, for example, how many people out there joined the military because of movies and video games, whether they are aware of it or not. People are afraid that their children might coincidentally play the nazi side in said video game, and unconsciously become a facist.