Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

Need a few pointers to put me back inline....(Prot)

Basically i have come back to my paladin, to do some tanking.

I was a main tank back in ICC, but we all know most of that was faceroll and gear didnt have to be necessarily organised to get the correct stats for the raids.

Atm as you can see i have gone abit mad at some point with my reforging, so basically what i am asking is, for a bit of guidance and healp on what i should be capping, and what the cap figures are.

Thanks in advance.

p.s ignore the relic, forgot to change it over when i logged.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...em/tosu/simple
    Last edited by Tosu; 2011-06-01 at 10:48 PM. Reason: armoury link diuh....

Still one of the best debates in wow. My personal strategy is to stack mastery more or less, until 102.4% with a few rules.

1. Using the JC stam gems
    2. On magicish type fights I'll run 2x stam trinkets.

Just stack tons of mastery, and equal dodge/parry RATING secondly

General guidelines:

- Mastery is the best stat to stack until you reach the 102.4% (dodge + parry + block + miss) cap. It doesn't suffer from DR like dodge and parry do. Try to get as many pieces with mastery as possible.
    - Dodge and parry rating DR mechanics are identical now, so you want the ratings to be as close as possible.
    - Hit and Expertise are virtually worthless due to the absurd threat you generate from Vengeance, so try to avoid pieces with these stats on them. ALWAYS reforge these stats away to mastery or avoidance, regardless of what the other stat is.

Reforging guildelines:

Hit/Expertise --> Mastery (provided the piece is not Mastery + Hit/Expertise).
    Hit/Expertise --> Dodge or Parry (if the piece is Mastery + Hit/Expertise)
    Dodge --> Parry or vice-versa (this is only if you need to get the ratings closer, if not then just leave the piece as is)
    Dodge or Parry --> Mastery (if the piece is Dodge + Parry, pretty uncommon).

Never reforge mastery into anything else, unless you hit the 102.4% cap, which is not a concern in your current gear.
    Never reforge into a dps stats (haste/crit, I saw one of your pieces you reforged dodge --> haste, either reforge parry if it brings the ratings closer or just leave it alone)

Gemming guidelines:

Red sockets: Parry/Stam or Parry/Mastery
    Yellow sockets: Straight mastery or Mastery/stam
    Blue sockets: Mastery/stam

Basically, ditch the dodge gems and go for as much mastery as possible, while getting an appropriate amount stam for your current gear/content.

Here's how you should gear:
    1) Look for items with mastery/dodge (do not reforge them)
    2) Look for items with mastery/parry (reforge parry -> dodge)
    3) Look for items with mastery/ hit or expertise (reforge hit/expertise -> dodge)
    4) Look for items with dodge/parry (reforge the larger one -> mastery)
    5) Look for items with dodge or parry/ hit or expertise (reforge hit/expertise -> mastery)

Parry and dodge have diminishing returns at almost identical speeds. They also do the exact same thing now, as parry haste has been removed from the game. Therefore you should reforge as much of the higher into the lower, (for you, reforge parry -> dodge) while following the above rules.

Gemming:
    blue: mastery/stam
    yellow: pure mastery
    red: mastery/parry

Personal recommendations:
    1) Change tabards... NOW. For rep, you should prioritize Guardians of Hyjal as Wrap of the Great Turtle is our BiS tanking cloak (ignoring H-Maloriak/Sinestra)
    For rep you should go Earthen Ring to revered (unless you have another toon who's already revered) (also, as soon as you hit revered, move on to the next one) -> Guardians of Hyjal to exalted -> Wild Hammer to exalted (for the boots, but skip this step if you get the tanking boots off Magmaw) -> Ramakhan till exalted (unless you get the tanking bracers off Halfus)

2) Do BH dailies for Mirror of Broken Images, this is... hands down our best tanking trinket for all fights except Chimaeron.

3) If you simply refuse or are too lazy to get Mirror, stop using Throngus' finger. It's terrible. Look for H-Porcelain Crab or either version of Tia's Grace.

4) Fix your reforging/chanting: Follow the rules above... and never reforge into haste like on Felsen's Ring.

5) Pick your valor gear: You should get the tier chest, tier gloves, and tanking relic. Those are the 3 most important.

6) Get more BoE gear: You can buy a better tanking bracer that drops from za/zg. You can get a better tanking belt that is equivalent to one that drops from omnitron/conclave.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks alot people will make picking up my prot pally a bit smoother for me ), appreciate it!