Poll: Dwarf

Page 47 of 128 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    What is this dedication.
    I've read through The Hobbit maybe 10 times, lord of the rings twice, and the movies... oh god.. maybe even 30 times by now. Also read through some of the Silmarillion, and the entirety of the illustrated encyclopedia. Tolkein's world is simply too vast and interesting to not completely immerse myself in it.

Fantastic opening movie. People have to remember that this movie was more of a warm up act. The second movie is going to be what us fans really want to see and what they're after. It can only get even better from here. The only thing I don't really like is how much filler there is and is going to be moving forward. But I suppose for a book with only 300 pages and Jackson stretching it into 3 movies, filler was bound to happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's always a good sign when the credits roll and you don't think it's even been 3 hours since you sat down to watch it. Was of course a little slow early, but boy does it pick up. So many good scenes and little details everywhere that stick with you, like Galadriel's dress and how it seems to stay frozen while she turns to face Gandalf. I loved it.

The music is wonderful(bought the Loney Mountain full song )) and I admit I got a little tightening in the chest when Thorin hugged Bilbo at the end there. I think they wanted to play off the youth of some of the dwarves by minimizing the beards which is understandable. Big beards adds age to a character's look. Some of them are supposed to be barely adults(in dwarf culture that is) and then there's the veterans in the group.

Oh and I gotta say...

Rabbit sleigh is best sleigh.

I enjoyed the movie and do not care what others care to comment on the matter on their own personal opinion. My wife thought it was alright, my friend thought it was Peter Jackson trash, I thought it was a great precursor to an already well done series and cannot wait to see the next two installments, even if I have to go it alone.

"No one is right in matter of opinion, the only time it's wrong is when you push your view on someone else." - Me, 12/15/2012. Love it.

Radagast the Brown was pretty good. Thought it was a bit too much with the crusted bird shit running down the one side of his face. Loved the part with the chase, when he said what kind of rabbits they were (forget the name) and he would like to see the wargs try to keep up with him. Speaking of the wargs, REALLY wish they would have a different look to them.

I read the book as a kid, and I'm pondering if I should go see it in the cinema, because I really don't see how he can drag 3 movies over a single book without it them being drawn out.

Quote Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
    Fantastic opening movie. People have to remember that this movie was more of a warm up act. The second movie is going to be what us fans really want to see and what they're after. It can only get even better from here. The only thing I don't really like is how much filler there is and is going to be moving forward. But I suppose for a book with only 300 pages and Jackson stretching it into 3 movies, filler was bound to happen.
    I think so too, I like the middle part of the book the most. I am really excited to see the parts in Mirkwood with the spiders and elves. I am just so curious what the third movie is going to be. I can't see Smaug dying in the 2nd one. Also I remember hearing somewhere that part of the hobbit was going to be all about Aragorn. Can someone confirm this?
    Last edited by worprz; 2012-12-16 at 03:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by worprz View Post
    I think so too, I like the middle part of the book the most. I am really excited to see the parts in Mirkwood with the spiders and elves. I am just so curious what the third movie is going to be. I can't see Smaug dying in the 2nd one. Also I remember hearing somewhere that part of the hobbit was going to be all about Aragorn. Can someone confirm this?
    I don't think it is.

And man I hope they don't kill smaug that fast, he is such a great character and really is the symbol of Greed which posses nearly everybody within the novel of the Hobbit. (You see it throughout the Hobbit, and the especially the ending with Thorin dying like his father because of his greed of the Arkenstone, and Bilbo ending up being the hero because he conquered what nobody else did, greed.

I actually would like it if the second movie ended with them getting out of Mirkwood, especially since there is a lot to cover over that period, and a lot of time stretches out during that. Yet due to the title, 'The Desolation of Smaug', unless they change it, we are bound to see at least one of the smaug scenes in the desolation of smaug, unless they introduce Bard while the Dwarves are captured in Mirkwood and it pulls a meanwhile with him (that would be pretty cool).

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't read through most of the comments here to avoid tempting myself from reading the spoilers, but I just came back from watching the movie and I must say...I'm a bit disappointed. A couple of things bothered me. First off, the 48 fps thing..was pretty annoying for me honestly. But that's a personal thing, I hate it even on the HD TVs. Second, the CGI and how the orcs looked. They didn't look menacing, ugly or evil at all. The fact that they talked a lot more and had "normalish" voices instead of gritty, orcish sounding voices caught me off guard. All in all the movie was too light hearted, with all the jokes and the sillyness...even the battles were filled with sillyness and had a light hearted feeling to it. The battles didn't have that "oh shit this is epic" feel to it. The sense of urgency to complete the quest is also missing, unlike Frodo's quest in the other movies. These are all things that made me fall in love with the lotr trilogy. I honestly don't know too much of the story in the hobbit so I won't say too much on that. But concerning the movie, it didn't catch my interest much and I even caught myself dosing off a few times.

10+ Year Old Account
    In my opinion, it would be nice to end film 2 with them escaping in the barrels, as it would also make a nice intro to the third film, and there's so much going on from meeting Beorn to encountering Smaug... I just can't see how they'd make it all fit. But that damn second movie title.

About what you said in the spoiler tag, worprz, I really doubt it. That person is not involved with either Bilbo's or Gandalf's quest at this time. Unless they somehow include the hunt for Gollum. But focusing on that would ruin the flow of the movie, and the trilogy as a whole. Unless they make it as a bridge between The Hobbit and LotR and only show it at the very end.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post

Don't know anything about that spoiler part. Smaubg..now he attacks Dale after Bilbo meets him in the cave. In a way it would make sense to kill im at the end of Film 2 as an epic conclusion. In Film three you have the battle of the 5 armies. What else could be the climax of Film 2?
    I too believe almost without a doubt that Smaug will die in the second movie. The Desolation of Smaug refers to the area around the Lonely Mountain, so I will bet you that they won't end it at the barrels.

Some might say the Necromancer, but since he doesn't die and will be at The Battle of the Five Armies, that'd be a pretty bad climax.
    "But Azog didn't die either!" Well, Azog will probably not be in the second movie very much. Probably just in the end, meeting up with the Necromancer, and they agree to attack Erebor.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2012-12-16 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asseymcgee View Post
    I haven't read through most of the comments here to avoid tempting myself from reading the spoilers, but I just came back from watching the movie and I must say...I'm a bit disappointed. A couple of things bothered me. First off, the 48 fps thing..was pretty annoying for me honestly. But that's a personal thing, I hate it even on the HD TVs. Second, the CGI and how the orcs looked. They didn't look menacing, ugly or evil at all. The fact that they talked a lot more and had "normalish" voices instead of gritty, orcish sounding voices caught me off guard. All in all the movie was too light hearted, with all the jokes and the sillyness...even the battles were filled with sillyness and had a light hearted feeling to it. The battles didn't have that "oh shit this is epic" feel to it. The sense of urgency to complete the quest is also missing, unlike Frodo's quest in the other movies. These are all things that made me fall in love with the lotr trilogy. I honestly don't know too much of the story in the hobbit so I won't say too much on that. But concerning the movie, it didn't catch my interest much and I even caught myself dosing off a few times.
    The orcs you are talking about are Goblins, not actually orcs. The only orcs are what they added with Azog and the chase scene. There were no real orcs in the Hobbit book. That's why they didn't look menacing, ugly or evil, and had normal-sounding voices instead of what the orcs did in the LotR movies. And if I remember right, the story of the Hobbit isn't dark and gritty like what you describe the LotR movies being. Tolkien wrote it to be light hearted and more kid friendly, and only after writing the 3 LotR books did he go back and change the Gollum scene to be darker than the rest.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Only things that off hand I remember being heavily altered of the actual book (Not the appendix stuff taken from the end of Return of the King) were following:

Orc chase after troll encounter which was stupid, I admit that. Stone giants not playing football, which was a good change, Radagast stuff and then having Azog at the end tree scene over just the Goblin Town goblins.
    And that's all pretty big things honestly. I'm not saying I didn't like it - hell I loved it - but still, it wasn't in the book. And as for the "Return" appendix, again - wasn't in the actual The Hobbit - still loved it though.

---------- Post added 2012-12-16 at 03:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    The orcs you are talking about are Goblins, not actually orcs. The only orcs are what they added with Azog and the chase scene. There were no real orcs in the Hobbit book. That's why they didn't look menacing, ugly or evil, and had normal-sounding voices instead of what the orcs did in the LotR movies. And if I remember right, the story of the Hobbit isn't dark and gritty like what you describe the LotR movies being. Tolkien wrote it to be light hearted and more kid friendly, and only after writing the 3 LotR books did he go back and change the Gollum scene to be darker than the rest.
    Thing is though, that one of the first lines in "Fellowship of the Ring" is that "Goblin" is the Hobbit word for "Orc". And Azog is from Gundabad, so he's big and nasty even for a standard LotR orc.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post

Thing is though, that one of the first lines in "Fellowship of the Ring" is that "Goblin" is the Hobbit word for "Orc". And Azog is from Gundabad, so he's big and nasty even for a standard LotR orc.
    Pale orcs are best orcs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    Like someone else mentioned, Goblin is another term for Orc. And second, in LotR the "goblins" in Moria were menacing, ugly looking and didn't talk much or have normal-sounding voices. But yeah if the story in the Hobbit is supposed to be more light hearted then I guess that's that. My other points still stand, though. I personally felt disappointed by what I mentioned.
    Last edited by Beefsquatch; 2012-12-16 at 03:42 PM.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Asseymcgee View Post
    Like someone else mentioned, Goblin is another term for Orc. And second, in LotR the "goblins" in Moria were menacing, ugly looking and didn't talk much or have normal-sounding voices. But yeah if the story in the Hobbit is supposed to be more light hearted then I guess that's that. My other points still stand, though. I personally felt disappointed by what I mentioned.
    Yeah, like humans - goblins/orcs come in different varieties. Some are small and menacing like the Moria ones, others are tall and imposing like Azog and others are... Well fat and british apparently heh.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted
    What was the name of teh bunnies? Read that they aren't from the books, but made up for the film.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are there two versions: 24fps and 48fps, of this film? I went to see it in 2D Friday night and I felt like it was running 24fps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    Are there two versions: 24fps and 48fps, of this film? I went to see it in 2D Friday night and I felt like it was running 24fps.
    Yep. From what people have gathered 48 FPS is 3D only.

Wonder if it will be the same for the DVD. Don't know why they would limit it to 3D only.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Summerdrake View Post
    What was the name of teh bunnies? Read that they aren't from the books, but made up for the film.

[IMG]https://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/12/9/20/I2a61u6LWEOW-HZR6GRfDw2.gif[IMG]
    I honestly can't remember, something beginning with "ra" D:
    Cave Cave Deus Videt