1 0.63%
  • Oin

0 0%
  • Ori

2 1.27%
Page 36 of 110 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    Sympathetic failures? I do wish to have that explained.
    He meant that critics are often people who would have liked to be artists themselves, but since they don't have the talent to do it, they criticize the works of others. Hence, failures. However, they have their use and they usually like artists too in general, so they are sympathetic. At least that's how I understand the lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    He meant that critics are often people who would have liked to be artists themselves, but since they don't have the talent to do it, they criticize the works of others. Hence, failures. However, they have their use and they usually like artists too in general, so they are sympathetic. At least that's how I understand the lyrics.
    I guess becoming a reviewer is easier than becoming a director.
    Belief can become reality!

Hearing mixed reviews about it. I'm sure I'll like it though.

I also can't wait for this movie. But i heard that there will be 3 parts of the movie? Isn't this true?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Everyone is entitled to his opinion. No need to get almost religious about a movie. No need to feel threatened by small writings. Maybe they do not understand the "magic" of Middle-Earth. Still they have a right to dislike the movie and write about it. It is no blaspheme against Tolkien. I can't count the number of movies I liked that were flamed by the critics. Like Robert Charlebois, a singer where I live, sang : "I don't care much about critics. They are sympathetic failures." (J'me fous pas mal de la critique. Ce sont des ratés sympathiques.)

You make a good point of course, but mine has been only that these people - don't. I might have seemed a bit overzealous there, but I just can't stand this huge dislike of change that is embedded deep in our society. It happens all the time, in every aspect of our lives, until the hate gradually fades into oblivion and the new stuff completely replaces the old. Guess I'm just tired of that backward way of experiencing life. Especially when I see it happening to something that has been a huge part of my childhood and has partly made me the person I am today.

Still waters run deep.

Quote Originally Posted by kitt View Post
    I also can't wait for this movie. But i heard that there will be 3 parts of the movie? Isn't this true?
    Yes. The critics, seeing a small book and a trilogy of movies, and seeing how the movie is really long without constant action, doesn't like it. However, it should be noted that a bunch of things are added, both a lot of lore, The Necromancer, and Battle of the Five Armies (I doubt it will be cut short in the movie by Bilbo getting knocked out like in the book). Add to the fact Fellowship of the Ring was given the same critic, it's kinda meh criticism. Plus, one of them giving it a bad rating said it was better for extended version, and being a guy that would never watch LOTR in none-extended version, I'm happy I don't have to wait for extended version to get the whole thing (at least not missing a huge amount.)

EDIT: A guy over at the IMDb forums has seen a pre-screening of the movie:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0903624/...&p=1#207894517

Skrew the critics, this movie is going to be amazing.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2012-12-06 at 05:45 PM.

Sir Ian McKellen is going live with a chat Q&A on twitter in a few minutes, thought I'd leave a link here in case someone was interested.

http://twitter.com/TheHobbitMovie/with_replies
    Black sunglasses with skinny jeans, that's me
    With groovy steps, skinny red, that's me
    All my people on the web (click me)
    All my people on sites (click me)
    singin' lalalalalalala

Ugh, critics really do grind my gears. I don't know why people pay heed to them. Films are such a subjective thing IMO, either take opinions from friends who have seen it or just go and make your own mind up if its a title that interests you, critics should never be taken seriously.

Can someone explain to me the 48fps thing?
    i've read that it 48 image per min? or something , correct me if im wrong but how is it suppose to be bad? more image sound just much better ;O

Quote Originally Posted by Forfax View Post
    i've read that it 48 image per min? or something , correct me if im wrong but how is it suppose to be bad? more image sound just much better ;O
    usually movies are filmed in 24 frames per second or fps, this one is in 48, its not bad, its better but old movie critics are complaining

Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    Ugh, critics really do grind my gears. I don't know why people pay heed to them. Films are such a subjective thing IMO, either take opinions from friends who have seen it or just go and make your own mind up if its a title that interests you, critics should never be taken seriously.
    Don't you know, every movie has to be an Oscar, Golden Globe winning masterpiece with such wonderful movies like Life of Pi, Anna Kenadahrah (or whatever) and whatever dumb artsy movie people poop out.

/sarcasm over

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    Don't you know, every movie has to be an Oscar, Golden Globe winning masterpiece with such wonderful movies like Life of Pi, Anna Kenadahrah (or whatever) and whatever dumb artsy movie people poop out.

/sarcasm over
    Calling them dumb artsy and then say /sarcasm over makes me think you DON'T think they're dumb and artsy.

Quote Originally Posted by Forfax View Post
    Gamdwelf already explained what it is, but what is causing people the most outrage is that it just looks different than what you are used to. Since you are on this site I imagine you play or have played WoW. Imagine running the game on a mediocre graphics card getting only 24 fps giving you a slightly choppy game experience, but over time you are used to it and you grow used to that. Then one day you install a newer card and that FPS doubles and suddenly the game looks much more vibrant and smooth. It is basically the same experience between the 48 FPS he shot this in and the traditional 24 FPS. We are so used to watching movies at a certain quality that such a dramatic bump makes it tough to adjust at first. Everything looks more hyper-realistic and less of a traditional movie style. That seems to be the biggest hang up for so many negative reviews. I hope my theater is showing it in 48 FPS on the 3d and 24 FPS on the 2d so I can see both firsthand and see if the reported differences are really that noticeable.

Apparently the end credits run for SIXTEEN minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Gamdwelf already explained what it is, but what is causing people the most outrage is that it just looks different than what you are used to. Since you are on this site I imagine you play or have played WoW. Imagine running the game on a mediocre graphics card getting only 24 fps giving you a slightly choppy game experience, but over time you are used to it and you grow used to that. Then one day you install a newer card and that FPS doubles and suddenly the game looks much more vibrant and smooth. It is basically the same experience between the 48 FPS he shot this in and the traditional 24 FPS. We are so used to watching movies at a certain quality that such a dramatic bump makes it tough to adjust at first. Everything looks more hyper-realistic and less of a traditional movie style. That seems to be the biggest hang up for so many negative reviews. I hope my theater is showing it in 48 FPS on the 3d and 24 FPS on the 2d so I can see both firsthand and see if the reported differences are really that noticeable.

Apparently the end credits run for SIXTEEN minutes.
    I'll watch ALL the credits.
    ALL of them.

Also, this is pretty cool:

Seeing this, those reviewers must have a heart of stone or a very big pet peeve with 48fps and/or the three movie thing, how can you not be excited for this ^^
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2012-12-06 at 09:05 PM.

Seeing this, those reviewers must have a heart of stone or a very big pet peeve with 48fps and/or the three movie thing, how can you not be excited for this ^^
    The WETA miniature at the start of that video is incredible. I will never stop being stupid jealous of their creativity and artistic ability.

I'll watch ALL the credits.
    ALL of them.

Also, this is pretty cool:

I hadn't seen that video. That was phenomenal. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    I hadn't seen that video. That was phenomenal. Thank you.
    NGGGGHHH ... Thanks Arrow ... That was INCREDIBLE and just reaffirmed myself that no matter what the morons on Rotten Tomatoes say ... This movie (and the trilogy in general) is going to be fucking spectacular.

Lord of the Ring is absolutely a classic. I really hope that Hobbit will keep this level.

Hobbit in Imax

Hi,
    I have a question regarding the screen resolution of the upcoming Hobbit movie.

youtube.com/watch?v=nTeXIoQWUu4
    0:30 you can read "in real 3D, HFR 3 and IMax 3D".

As far as I know, the movie wasn't shot with Imax cameras (they used red epics) so the resolution might not be as good as an Imax documentary. Perhaps they are showing the movie only half as big as the actual Imax screen so that I am in the cinema and 3/4 of the screen is just black

Does anyone know whether they show the movie full screen in Imax or should I go into a smaller cinema.

Yours sincerely from snowy Switzerland