Poll: Dwarf

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmmm....

I don't remember the Wood Elf King offering to help the dwarves. He imprisoned them. Unsure of what to think about this.
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

Quote Originally Posted by Rendia View Post
    Hmmm....

I don't remember the Wood Elf King offering to help the dwarves. He imprisoned them. Unsure of what to think about this.
    They're filling in stuff to make the movies carry more weight, which is fine in my opinion, because while The Hobbit is fairly lightweight a book, we know from LOTR that the universe is anything but. The Hobbit is pretty light on it's feet anyway, making time jumps and never going into much detail. Heck, the Battle of the Five Armies was cut instantly short by Bilbo taking a hit in the head very early on.

It's really just adapting it to a film trilogy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    They're filling in stuff to make the movies carry more weight, which is fine in my opinion, because while The Hobbit is fairly lightweight a book, we know from LOTR that the universe is anything but. The Hobbit is pretty light on it's feet anyway, making time jumps and never going into much detail. Heck, the Battle of the Five Armies was cut instantly short by Bilbo taking a hit in the head very early on.

It's really just adapting it to a film trilogy.
    Yes, they are making the story longer, but most of it so far has really been stuff that actually happened, just not in the book. The events happened during the events of the book, but this thing with the elf king is just a blatant changing of the lore. Guess they couldn't show the elves as the bad guys.
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

Deleted
    Guess they couldn't show the elves as the bad guys.
    The Elf King looks dodgy in the clip - I am sure he will do some kind of backstab and the dwarves will still have to escape as in the books; the flight in the barrels is too characterful to needlessly cut. I don't think the elves will be bad guys per se, but at least not team players - more like the Steward of Gondor in RotK.

Yes, they are making the story longer, but most of it so far has really been stuff that actually happened, just not in the book. The events happened during the events of the book, but this thing with the elf king is just a blatant changing of the lore. Guess they couldn't show the elves as the bad guys.
    You think the elves were shown as good? Nay.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    The Elf King looks dodgy in the clip - I am sure he will do some kind of backstab and the dwarves will still have to escape as in the books; the flight in the barrels is too characterful to needlessly cut. I don't think the elves will be bad guys per se, but at least not team players - more like the Steward of Gondor in RotK.
    They're also part of the Battle of the Five Armies, which is kind of gray morale-wise, since the dwarves are kind of greedy there and the humans at Laketown does have a fair reason for wanting a share of the gold.

This trailer was definately better one than the first one filled with awfulness. Still, looks like hamfisted utterly pointless love sub-plot is being shoved in ugh. <.>
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    I still don't like that they're showing off Smaug's face/voice before the movie. They tried so hard to show his attack on Erebor without really showing him, and then end the movie teasing with showing his eye. Then they go off and spoil everything about his appearance in trailers. FFS.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    This trailer was definately better one than the first one filled with awfulness. Still, looks like hamfisted utterly pointless love sub-plot is being shoved in ugh. <.>
    It's not pointless or a subplot. Why does everybody forget The Battle of the Five Armies?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Badhairday View Post
    I still don't like that they're showing off Smaug's face/voice before the movie. They tried so hard to show his attack on Erebor without really showing him, and then end the movie teasing with showing his eye. Then they go off and spoil everything about his appearance in trailers. FFS.
    No they don't? We have only seen his face in shadow and a bit of dialogue.

10+ Year Old Account
    No they don't? We have only seen his face in shadow and a bit of dialogue.
    You see it clearly enough. Why show his face at all in a trailer if you choose to hide it in the first movie? They could've just showed his eye again, or maybe just a claw or something. It won't have *that* much of an impact (for me) when he's fully revealed in the movie.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

You see it clearly enough. Why show his face at all in a trailer if you choose to hide it in the first movie? They could've just showed his eye again, or maybe just a claw or something. It won't have *that* much of an impact (for me) when he's fully revealed in the movie.
    Then you shouldn't have watched the trailer. You watch trailers to either get a tease or to see if the movie is worth watching. We all know The Hobbit, so it's just a tease for us. People really wanted a dragon tease, they got a dragon tease. You don't want dragon teases, you don't watch teases.

There was a thread about the previous trailer, people went wild for the Dragon-in-shadow tease.

Proven fact: Want people to watch your movie? Tease dragon and win.

The first part was also just a tease because he wasn't in that movie at all besides those glimpses, where this is the Smaug movie. It will look good when you watch them back to back too.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2013-10-02 at 04:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seeing his entire face, even if it's shadowed, is more than a tease in my mind. And I really didn't expect them to show him off given my previous statement about what they did in the first movie.

- - - Updated - - -

If it wouldn't have been for their barely showing anything about him in the first movie I wouldn't have cared about his face in the trailer.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Seeing his entire face, even if it's shadowed, is more than a tease in my mind. And I really didn't expect them to show him off given my previous statement about what they did in the first movie.

- - - Updated - - -

If it wouldn't have been for their barely showing anything about him in the first movie I wouldn't have cared about his face in the trailer.
    He wasn't in the first film, so they teased him in the end to tease the next film, the trailer must tease more, since it is, after all, clips from the movie where he actually is in, likely the only of the three movies his really in. We might get a corpse in the third film, but that's a toss up.

So... love story is in afterall?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    I don't mind a love sub-plot. My problem is that this love story seems to mirror Aragorn-Arwen's story (at least the one shown in the movie). Hero(in) loves the King's daughter/son but the father disagrees. It's different than I thought though. I thought Tauriel would be Bard's lover. Now that would have mirrored Aragorn and Arwen! Even more when you think that Bard's story already mirrors Aragorn's (the return of the King).

- - - Updated - - -

You think the elves were shown as good? Nay.

- - - Updated - - -

They're also part of the Battle of the Five Armies, which is kind of gray morale-wise, since the dwarves are kind of greedy there and the humans at Laketown does have a fair reason for wanting a share of the gold.
    Dwarves, Men, Elves : they are all greedy during the siege of Erebor. That changes when the Goblins and Wargs attack.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    So... love story is in afterall?
    I assume she dies during the battle and the way she dies will somehow tie in with how he is in LOTR compared to how he will be in The Hobbit.

Gotta say, Smaug's voice sounds amaaaazing in that new trailer.

New trailer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbOEk...ature=youtu.be
    Can really hear that it's Benedict Cumberbatch that voices Smaug when it's less growly :3
    I had forgotten that Legolas was in Bilbo. I havn't read it in ages though.
    This looks good, but so did the first one and I was a little bit disappointed by that one. It was kind of a 3/5 for me the first time. Hoping for the best.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Deleted
    Can't wait to go and see this in the cinema, when I went to see the first one I basically had an entire cinema to myself, was me and three other people on the biggest screen we have here, was awesome! Obviously not many Tolkien fans in my town :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    I had forgotten that Legolas was in Bilbo. I havn't read it in ages though.
    This looks good, but so did the first one and I was a little bit disappointed by that one. It was kind of a 3/5 for me the first time. Hoping for the best.
    He wasn't. However, since LotR, we know that Legolas is the Elven King's son. So it is not a bad idea to include him in the movie.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

It's not pointless or a subplot. Why does everybody forget The Battle of the Five Armies?
    I don't see how sub-plot that never existed in the books by characters that were not present in them (One of which doesn't even exist) has anything to do with Battle of the Five Armies, sorry.

Unless of course you think there would be oh-so-very-not-predictable emotionally engaging™ death scene.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    He wasn't. However, since LotR, we know that Legolas is the Elven King's son. So it is not a bad idea to include him in the movie.
    A cameo of him is nice, I just fear he will overstay his welcome.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988