Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

AMD Speed problems with the new Bulldozer/Zambezi cpus

looks like we wont be seeing the new AMD cpu line before q3-q4 or even before 2012

they are having big problems with uptaining bigger speeds then 3,5Ghz, where Intels cpus can go up to 5Ghz on the sandy bridge and the old i5/i7

source
    AMD Needs to Boost Clock-Speed of FX 'Bulldozer' Chips
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

I really hope that AMD could produce some fast CPUs so that the competition won't completely die.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ouch. =/ Was kind of hoping to see some fun competition coming back into the fray.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    I hope AMD finally recovers and crushes SB into the ground, that's about when I'll upgrade my Phenom.

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    looks like we wont be seeing the new AMD cpu line before q3-q4 or even before 2012

they are having big problems with uptaining bigger speeds then 3,5Ghz, where Intels cpus can go up to 5Ghz on the sandy bridge and the old i5/i7

source
    AMD Needs to Boost Clock-Speed of FX 'Bulldozer' Chips
    Phenom II CPU's can go higher than 3.5Ghz, my 955BE does 4.2Ghz at 1.45V.
    Intel SB i5/i7 need "unbearable" voltage to reach 5Ghz or above, we're talking about 1.5/1.6V which is considerably higher than the specifications.
    Intel's vanilla i5/i7 are similar. They can reach 4Ghz/4.5Ghz but after that, you need to considerably bump voltage in order to attain such Overclocks, again, well above specifications.

So, yes, your post is misleading when you say AMD is having issues getting their CPUs above 3.5Ghz while Intel can keep going at 5Ghz whereas this isn't totally true due to what I explained above. If we're talking about Extreme OC's with LN2 and VMODs on the Bios then it is a different story.

He is talking about Zambezi (Bulldozer), not Deneb/Thuban (Phenom II).

Deleted
    Nightbliss.. hes talking about the new bulldozer cpu's. not AMD in general

I know but he mentioned the LGA 1336 and LGA 1156 CPU's I felt the need to let him know about the AMD counterpart equivalents.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightbliss View Post
    Phenom II CPU's can go higher than 3.5Ghz, my 955BE does 4.2Ghz at 1.45V.
    Intel SB i5/i7 need "unbearable" voltage to reach 5Ghz or above, we're talking about 1.5/1.6V which is considerably higher than the specifications.
    Intel's vanilla i5/i7 are similar. They can reach 4Ghz/4.5Ghz but after that, you need to considerably bump voltage in order to attain such Overclocks, again, well above specifications.

So, yes, your post is misleading when you say AMD is having issues getting their CPUs above 3.5Ghz while Intel can keep going at 5Ghz whereas this isn't totally true due to what I explained above. If we're talking about Extreme OC's with LN2 and VMODs on the Bios then it is a different story.
    misleading how??????

we are talking about the new AMD line of cpus, that can`t reach more then 3,5Ghz on OC........ how is that misleading to my post? im not Talking about Phenom 2 cpus

ofcause you have to tweak the voltage on the cpu when you OC. you have to do that on both Intel and AMD. the BIG problem for AMD is that there BRAND NEW LINE OF CPUS can`t OC to more then 3,5Ghz, wheres Intels line of cpus can go to 5Ghz
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    misleading how??????

we are talking about the new AMD line of cpus, that can`t reach more then 3,5Ghz on OC........ how is that misleading to my post? im not Talking about Phenom 2 cpus

ofcause you have to tweak the voltage on the cpu when you OC. you have to do that on both Intel and AMD. the BIG problem for AMD is that there BRAND NEW LINE OF CPUS can`t OC to more then 3,5Ghz, wheres Intels line of cpus can go to 5Ghz
    They haven't been released yet so it doesn't matter what they can or not do.
    Or do you think that all the batches/revisions of SB can clock 5Ghz?

When they come out you can start comparing them to their counterparts, until then, it doesn't matter if they explode have any other problem.

Deleted
    so it doesn't matter what they can or not do.
    Yes it does! Cause if they cannot reach more than 3.5ghz it means that the release is being delayed because AMD wants their CPU to be faster so that they COULD BE COMPARED (SB and Bulldz.)

Quote Originally Posted by Reguilea View Post
    Yes it does! Cause if they cannot reach more than 3.5ghz it means that the release is being delayed because AMD wants their CPU to be faster so that they COULD BE COMPARED (SB and Bulldz.)
    They haven't been released for this reason therefor they are engineering samples and mean nothing.
    I preffer to wait more than to see the same mistake that was done with Phenom I CPU's so I don't mind waiting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nightbliss I think you're missing the point of the thread.

He says they can't hit 3.5 right now and therefore we wont see the bulldozer until later than they thought, possible Q3-Q4 -2012.

Re-Read OP

So the reason this does matter now is because it delays their timeline.

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Motherboard manufacturers were leaking this info a couple weeks ago. We have no idea what the issue is, and they may luck out and easily correct it. Still way to early to speculate anything. But it could be big and take some time to correct.

So let's all cross our fingers that it's sooner than later, to keep the market vibrant.

Quote Originally Posted by AnheroNAO View Post
    Nightbliss I think you're missing the point of the thread.

He says they can't hit 3.5 right now and therefore we wont see the bulldozer until later than they thought, possible Q3-Q4 -2012.

Re-Read OP

So the reason this does matter now is because it delays their timeline.
    I know...
    But what does it matter when you have already waited 1 year for them?
    Bulldozer was initially announced to be launched in 2010, later delayed to 2011 and now this, which is still undetermined (September most likely).
    I would rather wait for something proper to come out than to speed up releasing and have screwed up chips like Phenom I.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightbliss View Post
    They haven't been released yet so it doesn't matter what they can or not do.
    Or do you think that all the batches/revisions of SB can clock 5Ghz?

When they come out you can start comparing them to their counterparts, until then, it doesn't matter if they explode have any other problem.
    i think you have missed the whole point of my post.

The Bulldozer line was set to be released in june and the motherboards for the cpus are ready, BUT doo to the low OC of the Bulldozer cpus, the release is now postponed to q3-q4 or maybe 2012

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reguilea View Post
    They were already compared. A 4GHz clocked 2600k got beaten by a 3.5GHz Bulldozer chip.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    They were already compared. A 4GHz clocked 2600k got beaten by a 3.5GHz Bulldozer chip.
    Give me your source so I can debunk it into oblivion.

That sounds really shoddy, Prixie. Nevermind that you missed the point; a single comparison (which is what it sounds like without more information) is hardly representative of any damned thing. Benchmarks, man, benchmarks.

8-core Bulldozer beat 4-core 2600K in multithreaded math. What's the big deal? Problem is that 99.999% of the planet don't give a fuck about multithreaded math and for them Bulldozers suck.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.