Poll: F2P: Lotro or Aoc?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: Lotro or AoC?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Lotro or AoC?

I am finally burnt out with WoW and I have decided to play a F2P MMO until SWTOR is released. I have narrowed it down to a choice between Lotro and AoC, but I cannot make up my mind which one. I will consider going VIP in whichever one I choose in the end.

If you had to choose between the 2 which one would you go for? If you are willing to give reasons, that will be hugely appreciated...

Bloodsail Admiral WaitingforSWTOR's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lotro is a nice game afaik, its just a PVE game anyways

Heard about D&D being the best FTP mmo
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomChickn View Post
    The reason the smart people are miserable because their head hurts so much from facepalming at all the stupid people, its so simple.

10+ Year Old Account
    Neither are particularly good imo but I would go with Lotro if I had to. But seriously you don't have to play another MMO just because you quit WoW. Maybe invest in some quality single player RPG's like The Witcher 2.

Deleted
    Wasnt aware AoC was now F2P? if you're in it for PvE however id go with LOTRO I used to play it really enjoyed it.

AOC goes F2P sometime this summer. I would at least play the first 20 levels or so in AOC, It's is one of the best beginning zones in any MMO I have ever played. Great voice overs and really great graphics. Just need a pretty powerful system even now to still play it. But thats if you want more bells and whistles in the visual dept.
    Orks, Space Marines, Rift (<---- Links for pics BTW)

AoC runs pretty well on a medium system now. My computer is crap but yet runs AoC fairly well with decent settings.

If you want a traditional fantasy game then LotRO might be more up your alley. If you want a darker and grittier world then give AoC a go.

both are really, really bad in comparison. start out slow, and take a while to get into. if you're burnt out of warcraft, make a new character on a new realm and change the faction.

Lord of the Rings. Mainly because I love the lore over Age of Conan.. I never knew about Conan until the game came out.. I've known about LOTR since I read the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozles View Post
    both are really, really bad in comparison. start out slow, and take a while to get into. if you're burnt out of warcraft, make a new character on a new realm and change the faction.
    What's so bad about them?

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    What's so bad about them?
    they're really slow. i've tried a couple times to get back into them thinking i was having an offday or maybe i was playing at offhours, something like that. the quests in the beginning are kinda dry and boring, and the pace of the entire game seems to be off. i think that's the main thing that people see when they pick up a new mmo - the leveling stage is boring as shit and why play something like that when you have warcraft available which has a pretty polished (all things considered) leveling process.

aoc especially - it's just super slow and super boring even at max level. it's not my kind of game, but if the dude wants my opinion on which to get? lotro is the lesser of the two evils.

I actually played Lotro for 2 years before playing WoW. I only play wow because RL friends play and I wanted to raid with them. Lotro IMO is a much better game in many respects. Questline/storyline are actually interesting and give you a sense of adventure, way better graphics, and more interesting class structure. Buffers/debuffers/dps/tanks/healers/CC real support classes as opposed to dps/tank/healer with some CC or mangle.

Conversely lotro doesn't have the subscriber base so content is around for quite a while. Then again the end game content on there is a bit harder than it seems in this game. (no addons, way more communication necessary). And the PvP is kinda terrible. It is fun but not very exciting.

Honestly if you play F2P you wont get much out of it. If you are an avid mmo gamer you will outgrow the free content in about 6 hours.

You will definitely miss having big stupid looking weapons and sparks and fire shooting off of everything. But I think it is a better game overall.

Certainly your opinion. Leveling to max level in AoC is faster than it is in WoW.

The biggest issue is the low population. At max level there are plenty of people but for leveling it makes for a solo experience. A shame since AoC has some of the best low level dungeons of any game.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Certainly your opinion. Leveling to max level in AoC is faster than it is in WoW.

The biggest issue is the low population. At max level there are plenty of people but for leveling it makes for a solo experience. A shame since AoC has some of the best low level dungeons of any game.
    oh, yep forsure. to each their own i guess, but it makes a mmo kind of hard to play if you don't like the combat-style either, haha.

oh, yep forsure. to each their own i guess, but it makes a mmo kind of hard to play if you don't like the combat-style either, haha.
    That's definitely true. I love AoC's combat but if you don't like it then it can certainly damper any enthusiasm for the game.
    Last edited by Valeron; 2011-06-02 at 07:29 PM.

I haven't played AoC since a few months after launch, and I've been told that the game has changed a lot since then. I do plan on trying it again now that it is going f2p.

However, LoTRO is a damn good f2p MMO. Much better than other games I could name. I can't comment too much on endgame though. Didn't really make it that far. But for the 2 months I putzed around I did enjoy myself a great deal.

I say try both.

I played LotRO up until around the end of MoM. I really enjoyed it a a lot. Gameplay wise it is very similar to WoW with Traits and Talents being similar, but I still enjoyed playing it. I don't know if the OP is a LotR fan, but it was very satisfying to go to many of the places mentioned in the books and see little hints and clues that the Fellowship was there. I haven't played since it went F2P, so I don't know how it has changed. I also played D&DO back when it first came out. I enjoyed the combat more than a game like WoW, but I didn't get too far into it and I did play a long time ago, so I can't say how it is nowadays. Hope this helped!

10+ Year Old Account
    played lotro when you had to pay for it still. was a great game just felt empty. not a ton of players so it got boring by myself

Thanks to Scythen for the sig

Do not play anything from Turbine. They use CentOS on their servers, it's unacceptable.

Opinion aside. Lotro is actually pretty good as far as games go. Far better than a "fresh start" in a game you're burnt out on.

AoC has PvP, Lotro doesn't really.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.