Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    When you have enough spirit, and raid buffs, keeping judgement on cd, using your divine plea when it seems right, enough resto shamans, and mana replenishing trinkets.. You just wont go oom anymore, that's why theyre increasing the mana cost of our healing abilties, cause when other people we're oom, Holy Paladins still sat on 40% mana, just spamming Divine Light

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonian View Post
    Yes, I agree with a lot of whats being said. Especially, after spamming it, knowing when to step away from it in certain parts of the fight to not go ooom. Plus, having gear with mostly Intel & Spirit/Haste (as secondary stats) helps a lot.
    In 25 mans, my top spells are (sometimes in different orders):
    1) Beacon of Light
    2) Light of Dawn
    3) Divine Light
    4) Holy Shock
    5) Holy Radiance
    I am one of those healers Parasite talked about that loves to build up holy power and spam LoD as much as possible to heal up raid in 25 man, but inbetween do a lot of Divine Light casts. I will use HL on sitatuations of just doing midigation healing and FoL for emergenicy fast heals. I always judge too
    If that is your top healing spells, then there is a problem. Holy Radiance should definitely not be below Holy Shock or Light of Dawn, since HR is a much stronger AE heal. Divine Light should also be your top heal at this point, with Beacon of Light clocking in at a close second.

I have a question though, why is Ret Aura useless (I noticed someone say that)???
    It's basically the equivalent of putting thorns on everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by perasite View Post
    There really isn't a "wrong" way to play as a Holy Pally. We run our 25 man's with 3 Holy Pallies. We are 9/13 HM as of last night's Nef kill (finally.) Each of us pallies has a very different style of play:

One pally uses Crusader Strike constantly and uses AoE heals at every possible opportunity, he casts Holy Lights between AoE's and almost never uses Divine Light. He judges just once per minute. He typically has the highest HPS of the three of us, and almost always has the most mana. He does a ton of raid healing, but I'm not sure how much tank healing he does.

The second pally uses Crusader Strike frequently and uses AoE heals pretty frequently, casting Divine Light between his AoE's. This player uses a lot of AoE heals and a lot of Divine Lights. He judges fairly frequently, probably every 20 seconds or so. His mana is typically pretty low as compared to the first pally, but never so low as to be oom. He typically is assigned as a tank healer and does a very good job at it.

I almost never (OK, never) use Crusader Strike, use AoE heals only during AoE damage, and cast Divine Light non-stop. I am the type of player you are asking about. I use almost exclusively Divine Light, casting Holy Shock on cooldown and using LoD when I am grouped or WoG if I can't hit 6 targets with LoD. I rarely use Holy Light. I use mana CD's on every cooldown, and I use a Potion of Concentration on almost every progression attempt. I churn through the mana. I'm almost always on the verge of oom, but I know how to manage my mana well, and regenerate it at a constant enough pace to make sure that I can always still cast. I have the 4 piece T11, so casting Holy Shock on CD is important as it helps keep my mana regen up. I also judge almost on cooldown. If someone needs a heal, that takes priority, but if I have a choice between casting a maintenance heal on a raid member or judging, I'll typically judge and let the raid healers heal the raid.

Nothing wrong with any of those playstyles, I just think it's interesting that we each play so differently when using the same class. Totally different than Wrath, where if you weren't spamming Holy Light till the cows came home, you were doing it wrong.
    This post is a pretty big thing to recognize, the main play styles and in betweens. When your guild has many holy paladins this needs to happens, three is alot, but works well as long as ur all not doing one playstyle. Note, the ale style will usually be the top ups in regulars no matter what, coupled with flash of light on and off it is easily the highest play style for hps. But when it comes to tank healing we can easily do that so just do what ur guild needs.
    Last edited by lifteez; 2011-06-03 at 03:58 PM. Reason: my english is bad, please forgive if i have double negatives or things

I am not sure if you are talking about a 10 man or 25 man raid environment although I am not sure if it even changes much. I raid 25 mans and have 13/13 HM experience. The reason you see Divine Light #1 on the meters is because the goal of Divine Light is to have as little overheal as possible. Duh? I know that sounds stupid but people dont really understand how some "top guild paladins" heal.

My Divine Lights heal for about 28k noncrit i think. My holy light heals for about 11k noncrit. I have to cast 3 Holy Lights to add up to the amount my Divine Light just healed for. So if I know when my Divine Lights will get the full (or close to full) heal it will quickly climb the ranks for my Top Healing done ability. When damage is low I pretty much just spam Holy Light (holy shock and judgement on cooldown) to regen some mana for heavy periods of damage. When the heavy periods are coming up I will have the mana to cast Divine Lights as needed.

Don't be thinking paladins just chaincast Divine Light and have no issues at all. Even in my 372 gear with shard of woe that really isnt sustainable for long. Spamming Divine light has its place but only when you feel if you don't chain cast it the tank is in danger of dying.

Other random shit----> judging on cooldown (or pretty damn close) is extremely important to managing mana. Judging gives about 3.5k mana each time and while it doesnt seem like that much it really keeps your mana stable until you need to start cranking out expensive heals like Holy Radiance and Divine light. Using Divine Plea at safe times is also huge.

I hope this helps. good luck

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eviljoe View Post
    [Ret Aura] It's basically the equivalent of putting thorns on everyone.
    Ret aura does ~120 dmg per tick, Thorns does several thousand.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenGage View Post
    Thorns also has a cooldown and has to be reapplied consistently. 0/10.

The damage done by Ret Aura is still completely insignificant and will never ever be the difference between a kill and a wipe, while thorns do at least have some use in giving the tank some bonus threat.
    0/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Nillo View Post
    The damage done by Ret Aura is still completely insignificant and will never ever be the difference between a kill and a wipe, while thorns do at least have some use in giving the tank some bonus threat.
    0/10.
    If you are honestly trying to argue the importance of Thorns you're retarded, the 1-2k damage per tick will not make any significant difference in threat at all.

If you are honestly trying to argue the importance of Thorns you're retarded, the 1-2k damage per tick will not make any significant difference in threat at all.
    Clearly you're having some comprehension issues. He's saying Ret Aura is worse than Thorns (since you said it was the same). He definitely did not say that either was good. You, on the other hand, seem to be humping Ret Aura for some reason.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firecrest View Post
    Clearly you're having some comprehension issues. He's saying Ret Aura is worse than Thorns (since you said it was the same). He definitely did not say that either was good. You, on the other hand, seem to be humping Ret Aura for some reason.
    Watch out bro, he's in the US 11th guild.
    Hi

Not at all. I was simply saying that both of the spells are virtually worthless, maybe it's you that has comprehension issues, sir.

Divine Light x 2 Holy Shock. -> WoG / LOD

Or Holy Shock, Divine Light x2 - > WoG / LOD

Pop Divine Favour and Holy Radiance when you can hit at least 4-5 people with it, more if your in a 25m. At least 2-3 when your in a 5 man.

Spam Judge, Melee when you can, Divine Plea when boss abilities are on cooldown (DBM will give you timers)

Deleted
    Not at all. I was simply saying that both of the spells are virtually worthless, maybe it's you that has comprehension issues, sir.
    That's not what you said at all. You said, and I quote word for word: "the equivalent of putting thorns on everyone". If everyone had thorns on them all fight long like the way Ret Aura works then that would add up to quite a bit of damage. Of course I'm not trying to argue that thorns is a good spell either, but they're not the same. There's about a 500% difference in their damage after you factor in the CD, 1000+% during the Thorns duration. In some cases, like when whelps are attacking a tank Thorns can actually be useful, Ret aura still sucks.

That's not what you said at all. You said, and I quote word for word: "the equivalent of putting thorns on everyone". If everyone had thorns on them all fight long like the way Ret Aura works then that would add up to quite a bit of damage. Of course I'm not trying to argue that thorns is a good spell either, but they're not the same. There's about a 500% difference in their damage after you factor in the CD, 1000+% during the Thorns duration. In some cases, like when whelps are attacking a tank Thorns can actually be useful, Ret aura still sucks.
    How would thorns be useful for the whelp tank on Halfus? Minor threat generation? At this point, the whelp tank should have no trouble gaining threat and maintaining aggro, and if he does then there are bigger problems at hand which thorns would not fix. Also, the damage that thorns would do would be quite insignificant as well. The GCD spent just isn't worth it. If you are not trying to argue that Thorns is a good spell then why even start this argument and derail this thread to such an extent? Both Thorns and Ret Aura are bad spells and hardly make a difference in any encounter, get over it.

why even start this argument and derail this thread to such an extent?
    ROFL - You're the one who made this an argument. How are your communication and comprehension skills this freaking bad?
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>

ROFL - You're the one who made this an argument. How are your communication and comprehension skills this freaking bad?
    You're an idiot. I RESPONDED TO MY OWN STATEMENT COMPARING RET AURA TO THORNS RIGHT GUYS?

Deleted
    How would thorns be useful for the whelp tank on Halfus? Minor threat generation? At this point, the whelp tank should have no trouble gaining threat and maintaining aggro, and if he does then there are bigger problems at hand which thorns would not fix. Also, the damage that thorns would do would be quite insignificant as well. The GCD spent just isn't worth it. If you are not trying to argue that Thorns is a good spell then why even start this argument and derail this thread to such an extent? Both Thorns and Ret Aura are bad spells and hardly make a difference in any encounter, get over it.
    I didn't start anything, you made a wrong statement and I corrected you. I had nothing against you, but they are a 1000% dmg difference between them and that's something worth knowing imo. I've seen Resto druids actually use Thorns once in a while to give a little nudge to the DPS. Nobody even said that Thorns was good, I simply posted the numbers on what they hit for. Then you came out with your "0/10" crap and made an issue of it. Again, neither is a particularly good spell, but they are not the same.

PS: Go do the math, that one GCD used in an AoE situation (Halfus, Maloriak, Trash, Sinestra? etc.) would do well over 100k damage, also usable by a healer.
    Last edited by mmocf1640b68b7; 2011-06-05 at 12:46 AM.

You're an idiot. I RESPONDED TO MY OWN STATEMENT COMPARING RET AURA TO THORNS RIGHT GUYS?
    You brought up Thorns. You've twisted every post you've responded into something it's not (although I get the feeling this has less to do with maliciousness and more to do with a complete inability to comprehend what you read).

And as far as starting things, you responded to a true statement:

With an argument.

And besides just cramming your foot in your mouth, you had to gloat about it at the end of your post as well.

It's time to be quiet now.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>

You brought up Thorns. You've twisted every post you've responded into something it's not (although I get the feeling this has less to do with maliciousness and more to do with a complete inability to comprehend what you read).
    K

And besides just cramming your foot in your mouth, you had to gloat about it at the end of your post as well.

It's time to be quiet now.
    wasn't gloating per se, I felt as if the post being made was malicious in a sense (almost trolling) so I responded. Also, maybe I DID exaggerate to a certain extent about thorns on everybody being equivalent to Ret Aura, but do you understand my point or not? It would not necessarily be beneficial to consistently reapply Thorns in an encounter, as it's significance is extremely low, and the damage from Ret Aura is also extremely insignificant and does relatively low damage. Bringing up the fact that Thorns does more damage is extremely irrelevant considering it's damage is fairly low as well throughout the course of an encounter.

JUST GONNA CONTINUE HUMPING RET AURA, CYA GUYS YOU SHITTERS KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE PALADIN CLASS RET AURA 4 LYFE.