Thread: Power supply?

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Power supply?

Not asking for a recommendation, but can a power supply that is over the watts you need actually cause your computer to freeze? For example if i run a gtx 580/i5-2500k(not the computer in my sig) on 850 watt power supply. /www_newegg_com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817553006&Tpk=cougar%20850 here is the power supply in question.

Doubt it. Depends on what kind of freezing you're experiencing, problem is most likely overheating graphics card.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm thinking its a display issue or a ram issue. The screen freezes but sound still plays and you can move the mouse around. I switched the ram from my computer to the freezing computer to see what happens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDocWood View Post
    I'm thinking its a display issue or a ram issue. The screen freezes but sound still plays and you can move the mouse around. I switched the ram from my computer to the freezing computer to see what happens.
    Definitely not your PSU. I had this problem when I built my last pc. Are you overclocking at all? because I think that was my problem.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    No oc yet. Still trying to iron this problem out before we go a head with that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDocWood View Post
    No oc yet. Still trying to iron this problem out before we go a head with that.
    Weird.. Do you have all updated drivers for your video card? What kind of things are you doing when it freezes?
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Highly unlikely that it's your PSU, and based on your description, I doubt it's your ram as well.. More likely, it's what Vess suggested, or possibly an issue with drivers. It could also be DX related. When does the freezing occur?

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    All the drivers are updated, re-installed windows about 3 times, it usually freezes about an hour after it being on.

Is it occurring during a specific task such as gaming, or just approx within 1 hour of the system being turned on?
    As Vess mentioned, it could be heat related. Have you monitored your GPU temps?
    Have you installed all of your Motherboard related Drivers after your Win install?
    Are you using the newest Nvidia Drivers? You could try using an older driver. Remember to use Driver Sweeper in safemode to uninstall any current graphics drivers first before installing a different version.

The power of your PSU is only the maximum watts it can deliver when requested by components. You could have a 1500 watts power supply (which is roughly the highest PSUs will ever go unless they don't plug into a regular 15A electrical outlet) and it still wouldn't matter, since the components are the ones requesting how much power they need to work. If your computer needs 650 watts total, your PSU will only supply that amount. I'm a fully licensed electrician, you can trust me on this one.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Its an hour of the computer just being on. Doesn't matter if it has any sort of load on it or not. Trying driver sweeper suggestion now. Thanks a lot for all the responses!

Something timed crashes? Or not exact hour?
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Log/Monitor those GPU temps as well. Google and Grab the latest version of GPU-Z from techpowerup. You can use it to create a log file for your GPU should the freezing continue to occur. That should help you determine if it's an overheating issue.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    loaded up GPU-z, cleaned the drivers/installed new ones we're stress testing it right now. Also, its not exactly one hour when it crashes, but between 1 hour - 2 hours. once we we're able to keep it up for 4 hours.

---------- Post added 2011-06-02 at 08:59 PM ----------

Computer froze again, GPU Temp at time of crash was 48C

With only 48C at crash, it's obviously not an overheating issue. If its a viable option, I would still test the card in another system though.

If this is the system in your sig, I suspect it may be one of the ASUS P67 motherboard issues, which actually might be RAM related. /Bonk self. It's not that your RAM is bad, although you should test it with Memtest. Have you tried running with your memory at 1333MHz. Have you tried disabling c3 and c6? Also, if you're OCing, make sure you turn off the power saving features in windows.

Also, make sure you have the latest firmware and driver updates for your motherboard.

Deleted
    No "The message you have entered is too short."