1. #7881
    The Patient Pilobolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterstrife View Post
    Finally done with Skyrim + Dawnguard/Dragonborn DLC after 505 hours of gameplay (yeah its pretty long, I took my time alright).
    Have to say pretty awesome game, beautiful graphics, well thought out storyline & several quests/npcs really do stir your emotions.

    But why does the game have to have so much hair pulling bugs?
    If it wasn't for console commands I would have to save at almost every step or worst restart my game but even so some bugs still went through, I didn't get my Oblivion Walker achievement even after obtaining 15 Daedric artifacts
    Was that with or without some of the patches you can add to the game?


    Also, has anyone tried a playthrough on Legendary difficulty? Seemed like any enemy that dealt any sort of elemental/poison damage would drop you in a heartbeat if they got close enough. Resistance potions seemed to have a negligible effect =/ Granted, I am also playing a dual wielding, sneaky type character which is hard enough early on. It's also entirely possible that I am terrible at this game since I haven't played it in what seems like forever.

  2. #7882
    The Lightbringer inboundpaper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Close to San Fransisco, CA
    Posts
    3,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilobolus View Post
    Was that with or without some of the patches you can add to the game?


    Also, has anyone tried a playthrough on Legendary difficulty? Seemed like any enemy that dealt any sort of elemental/poison damage would drop you in a heartbeat if they got close enough. Resistance potions seemed to have a negligible effect =/ Granted, I am also playing a dual wielding, sneaky type character which is hard enough early on. It's also entirely possible that I am terrible at this game since I haven't played it in what seems like forever.
    As a rule, I don't play Bethesda games on hard, they don't balance too well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    Sadly, with those actors... the "XXX Adaptation" should really be called 50 shades of watch a different porno.
    Muh main
    Destiny

  3. #7883
    The Insane Orange Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    001100010010011110100001101101110011
    Posts
    15,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterstrife View Post
    Finally done with Skyrim + Dawnguard/Dragonborn DLC after 505 hours of gameplay (yeah its pretty long, I took my time alright).
    Have to say pretty awesome game, beautiful graphics, well thought out storyline & several quests/npcs really do stir your emotions.

    But why does the game have to have so much hair pulling bugs?
    If it wasn't for console commands I would have to save at almost every step or worst restart my game but even so some bugs still went through, I didn't get my Oblivion Walker achievement even after obtaining 15 Daedric artifacts

    are you using any mods?

  4. #7884
    Kountervibe




    Kinematic

  5. #7885

    New to Skyrim Mods, need advice/help

    I played Skyrim for a while when it was released but haven't really touched it since and I experienced very little of the story. With TESO on the horizon and recently watching the new Hobbit movie, I have a new kindled desire to pick up this game once more and actually beat it before April.

    I've never used mods before, and I only have the original Skyrim (not the dragonborn or dawnguard or any other expansion they have).

    I get a cluster fuck of results when I search for good mods on google and I feel a bit overwhelmed. Could any of you recommend 10-15 basic mods that you feel are must-haves? Things I'm looking for is realism/graphics, a better user interface, more unique items/people/places/quests, a broader range of game-play music (I still like the celtic/norsk style of music that fits the theme of the game), optimizations that help smooth out animations, voice acting, and enable the game to run with a little less glitches. I literally have no starting point or experience so any tips would be awesome, thanks!

    Any tips on how to actually install them would be sweet also, although I can probably youtube that stuff when the time comes.
    Last edited by Uncle Julian; 2013-12-19 at 04:24 PM.

  6. #7886
    www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/30450 - Realistic Lightning Overhaul ( if you set the lightning to be almost pitch black inside caves/buildings and at night torches and the likes actually gains a real use.)
    www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/1111 - Pure waters
    www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/8655 - Static mesh improvement
    www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/60 - Enhanced Blood Textures
    www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/607 - Real HD textures if you have the PC to support the vram increase.
    www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/836 - Realistic smoke and embers mod
    www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/17802 - Climate Overhaul
    www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/30936 - RealVision ENB ( what enb to use is a bit more personal but i think this one goes well with the other mods )
    www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/3863 - SkyUI, overhauls the UI system to fit keyboard play better.

    There's also a few gameplay changing mods i can recommend but dunno if your interested in that but i would start with these. Most of them can be installed with the mod manager with the exception of the ENB package.
    Last edited by zealo; 2013-12-19 at 04:52 PM.

  7. #7887
    Awesome links! Many thanks Zealo. I use a i5-3750k at stock speeds, and a 670 factory overclocked with 8gb of 1600mhz ram. I'm going to assume thats plenty for these mods @1080p

  8. #7888
    Scarab Lord Hellravager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Posts
    4,855
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Julian View Post
    I played Skyrim for a while when it was released but haven't really touched it since and I experienced very little of the story. With TESO on the horizon and recently watching the new Hobbit movie, I have a new kindled desire to pick up this game once more and actually beat it before April.

    I've never used mods before, and I only have the original Skyrim (not the dragonborn or dawnguard or any other expansion they have).

    I get a cluster fuck of results when I search for good mods on google and I feel a bit overwhelmed. Could any of you recommend 10-15 basic mods that you feel are must-haves? Things I'm looking for is realism/graphics, a better user interface, more unique items/people/places/quests, a broader range of game-play music (I still like the celtic/norsk style of music that fits the theme of the game), optimizations that help smooth out animations, voice acting, and enable the game to run with a little less glitches. I literally have no starting point or experience so any tips would be awesome, thanks!

    Any tips on how to actually install them would be sweet also, although I can probably youtube that stuff when the time comes.
    First thing you want to do is get Dawnguard AT LEAST if you can get both so you can get all the mods Sky RE requires Dragonborn for all the recent updates/changes

    - - - Updated - - -

    Forgot to mention this also if you have the HD texture packs installed from Bethesda get rid of them they cause lagg that shouldnt be there lagg as in fps drops that are random as hell
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

  9. #7889
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/30450 - Realistic Lightning Overhaul ( if you set the lightning to be almost pitch black inside caves/buildings and at night torches and the likes actually gains a real use.)
    www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/1111 - Pure waters
    www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/8655 - Static mesh improvement
    www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/60 - Enhanced Blood Textures
    www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/607 - Real HD textures if you have the PC to support the vram increase.
    www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/836 - Realistic smoke and embers mod
    www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/17802 - Climate Overhaul
    www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/30936 - RealVision ENB ( what enb to use is a bit more personal but i think this one goes well with the other mods )
    www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/3863 - SkyUI, overhauls the UI system to fit keyboard play better.

    There's also a few gameplay changing mods i can recommend but dunno if your interested in that but i would start with these. Most of them can be installed with the mod manager with the exception of the ENB package.
    - Realistic Lighting Overhaul or Enhanced Lights and FX. My personal favorite is Enhanced Lights and FX
    - I recommend Realistic Water Two
    - Static Mesh Improvement mod is amazing
    - Enhanced Blood textures or Crimson tide, i prefer enhanced blood
    - Skyrim 2k is very good overall, but it doesn't cover all
    - Realistic Smoke and Embers is quite alright
    - I don't recommend using Climates of Tamriel
    - Realvision enb is very overrated, there are much better enb's out there. Kinematic enb, Kountervibe enb, Project enb, Saraan Suum ENB to mention a few. Kinematic enb is my personal favorite, it's just a step over all other enb's when it comes to effects and realism.
    - SkyUI is awesome, but you'll need SKSE as well.

    ALso, all unofficial patches are must-haves

  10. #7890
    Pit Lord Lora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Some random weird place
    Posts
    2,276
    The first time I ever played through it was on master and I didn't realize until the end of the game. I thought it was rather easy. It's been bloody fun.

    Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Damajin View Post
    Yes but then again I believe in both the rational and irrational, and definitely think there's more to existence than just this life. People don't have to like it or agree and I don't have to care.

  11. #7891
    The Lightbringer WarpedAcorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    3,248
    So I have gotten re-addicted to Skyrim over the past month and have been delving down the twisting nethers of modding (something I had not looked into until recently), and that's turned Skyrim into a completely new game.

    Anyways, I'm running into the same issue now that I did 2 years ago when last I played it...and that is the infamous "Power Creep". This happened about the same level as before, and its usually by this point that my Sneak is maxed, I have 2 devastating offense trees (3 in my current case), and have Enchanting/Smithing at 100. What are some ways that the community has dealt with becoming "too badass"? I love the hell out of the game, but when I can charge through a cave hacking away with a sword and never have to worry about chugging potions...the excitement lessens.

  12. #7892
    The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bear Taco, Left Hand of Death
    Posts
    20,612
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    So I have gotten re-addicted to Skyrim over the past month and have been delving down the twisting nethers of modding (something I had not looked into until recently), and that's turned Skyrim into a completely new game.

    Anyways, I'm running into the same issue now that I did 2 years ago when last I played it...and that is the infamous "Power Creep". This happened about the same level as before, and its usually by this point that my Sneak is maxed, I have 2 devastating offense trees (3 in my current case), and have Enchanting/Smithing at 100. What are some ways that the community has dealt with becoming "too badass"? I love the hell out of the game, but when I can charge through a cave hacking away with a sword and never have to worry about chugging potions...the excitement lessens.
    So I think there are a few mods that completely overhaul the skill system. You may want to check those out. There are a lot of people that wanted it to stay challenging so those mods reduce sneak effectiveness, etc.

    Really just start looking at gameplay overhaul mods. It will change the game up like crazy. If you wanted to play archer, there are addons that make more realistic arrow physics plus allowing you to modify crit chance on specific body segments. For me, I wanted to play a super stealth archer class and didn't like that when I shoot someone in the head they don't die. I realize it makes the game easier (if I'm clever) but it's how I wanted to play the first go. You can use the same program to make archery super hard and also allow headshots to kill your player character.

    Check out this thread for some mods http://steamcommunity.com/app/72850/...9057053483229/ SkyRE is the skill overhaul mod I was talking about and then deadly dragons + deadly monsters seems to allow you to tailor mob difficulty if you don't want to change gameplay. Lots of options really.

    PS I'm with you on going nuts for Skyrim. Every time I take a break and then log back on it, I stare at wonder and think I should never stop playing this game.
    Last edited by Kelimbror; 2013-12-24 at 02:51 PM.
    BAD WOLF

  13. #7893
    The Lightbringer WarpedAcorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    3,248
    Thanks Kel. The only gameplay mod I DL'd that affects skills is the Mighty Magick Mod, simply because I was initially planning on focusing my current character as a SpellThief archetype. The only skills I see are really gamebreaking are the Enchanting and Smithing, but I also see them as a bit of a necessity (especially Smithing when considering the plethora of custom armor). I'm not quite sure how to proceed. I'll check the Nexus and see what's up with the SkyRE you mentioned.

  14. #7894
    Blademaster Luks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Alsace, France
    Posts
    44
    I concur, SkyRE is a really great mod, couldn't picture playing the game without it now.

  15. #7895
    The Lightbringer WarpedAcorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    3,248
    Just looked it up, and SkyRe sounds really interesting. It also fits in pretty well with my trend of finding these awesome mods as I play. Now I want to start over...again. >_>;;

  16. #7896
    The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bear Taco, Left Hand of Death
    Posts
    20,612
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    Just looked it up, and SkyRe sounds really interesting. It also fits in pretty well with my trend of finding these awesome mods as I play. Now I want to start over...again. >_>;;
    There's an 'app' for that: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/9557
    BAD WOLF

  17. #7897
    so like, i've been messing around with skyrim again and reading ALL teh books and trying to get all of the shouts and stuff. but while i was looking for shout locations on the wiki, i noticed a lot of the word walls mention a decree of the "hoar father". so, anyone who is more versed in the elder scrolls lore know anything about this dude? i've seen "hoar" before in this thing about kyne, but i can't remember what that was.

    is it just some atmoran belief or something? the world walls are old as the hills and written in draconic, so it's obvious they're made during and shortly after the first defeat of alduin.

  18. #7898
    Played Skyrim when it came out, finished it and then never picked it up (because of other games, i loved skyrim don't get me wrong.) Now, im getting all DLC and was wondering which mods do you recommend? Im interested in every type, immersion, weather, texture etc.

  19. #7899
    Quote Originally Posted by Exroyal View Post
    Played Skyrim when it came out, finished it and then never picked it up (because of other games, i loved skyrim don't get me wrong.) Now, im getting all DLC and was wondering which mods do you recommend? Im interested in every type, immersion, weather, texture etc.
    http://wiki.step-project.com/Main_Page

    I know, it can look intimidating, it did for me. But it was worth it.
    To declare that a personal, inner experience gives certainty about the workings of the universe is to assign far too much value to one’s subjective sense of conviction.
    I’m not that arrogant.

    The brain, marvelous instrument though it is, isn’t infallible. It can misfire, seize or hallucinate, and it can do so in a way that’s utterly indistinguishable from reality to the person experiencing it.

  20. #7900
    Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    2,880
    So, like many others, I've restarted Skyrim. I decided to do it because I'm going to find myself with out internet for possibly many weeks so I'm trying to get as many mods up and running as I can before my internet goes bye bye. This time, I've decided to focus on my Alchemy skill to rely on for potions (mainly for healing) and poisons (for extra goodies on my blades and arrows). There are many, MANY alchemy mods out there but I can't seem to find exactly one that does what I want. Does an alchemy mod exist where it'll tell you what you can make based on the current ingredients you have in your bag?
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •