Page 1 of 2
LastLast

TV as computer monitor

Would this increase my FPS in games? just wondering cause i need a new computer but dont have the money for it right now

10+ Year Old Account
    No.
    (This post is too short.)
    Beat ispano again. x3

No, it won't.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Deleted
    Why would it even?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey111 View Post
    Would this increase my FPS in games? just wondering cause i need a new computer but dont have the money for it right now
    It depends, what resolution is your current monitor at, and what will it be on the TV?

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    Why would it even?
    Resolution can effect FPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    Murder can be justified and to a certain extent I believe genocide can be justified aswell.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a 42" LG 1080p LCD 120Hz TV as my monitor. No, it doesn't matter whether you have a monitor or TV, the fps will be the same depending on what the screens resolution is. 1080p is 1920x1080 resolution which is the best bang for your buck, unless you have a lot of money to get a 2560x1600 which is a lot more pricey.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

No..but if you get a big enough monitor it makes a great HDMI TV!

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    I have a 42" LG 1080p LCD 120Hz TV as my monitor. No, it doesn't matter whether you have a monitor or TV, the fps will be the same depending on what the screens resolution is. 1080p is 1920x1080 resolution which is the best bang for your buck, unless you have a lot of money to get a 2560x1600 which is a lot more pricey.
    And if his TV supports only 720p, there's a good chance he'll gain FPS.
    Murder can be justified and to a certain extent I believe genocide can be justified aswell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindark View Post
    And if his TV supports only 720p, there's a good chance he'll gain FPS.
    And enjoy shit quality, massive pixels, and an awful response rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    And? It's an accurate answer of the OP's question.

edit: Also, it can be a 20" TV at 720p, it wouldn't look too awful. And what does resolution have to do with response rate?

10+ Year Old Account
    no........

10+ Year Old Account
    And? It's an accurate answer of the OP's question.
    Thank you captain <snip to avoid ban>
    I can use my tablet pc as an extensible monitor and get near infinite framerates. Does that mean this is a better alternative? (Probably not.)

Deleted
    I hear the OP didn't ask about this.

Thank you captain smartass.
    I can use my tablet pc as an extensible monitor and get near infinite framerates. Does that mean this is a better alternative? (Probably not.)
    He wasn't asking what the better alternative was though. He was asking if it would effect his framerate. You're just flaming a choice of hardware to use.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, he says he needs a new computer.
    No, it's not going to increase his FPS.
    Here's why:
    At this point, it's not a matter of his monitor, it's a matter of his hardware. Even if his TV was 20 inches, it still wouldn't effect his framerate.
    I realize it's also resolution. Don't bother informing me that I'm wrong here. However...
    Let's say his monitor is 1024 x 768. We're going to assume his TV is widescreen.
    However, let's take a moment of pause.
    Why would he think his TV would increase FPS..unless it was smaller.
    1920 x 1080 widescreen 27 inch monitor it is.
    Assuming his TV is smaller, lets look at the average 24 inch tv's resolution:
    (1920 x 1200)
    So no, in fact, it won't.
    But let's be decisive.
    What size TV do you have?
    What size is your monitor?
    What's your graphics card?
    Last edited by Fuzzykins; 2011-06-03 at 07:52 AM.

Also, he says he needs a new computer.
    No, it's not going to increase his FPS.
    Here's why:
    At this point, it's not a matter of his monitor, it's a matter of his hardware. Even if his TV was 20 inches, it still wouldn't effect his framerate.

So let's try this:
    What size TV do you have?
    What size is your monitor?
    What's your graphics card?
    None of those questions matters. It's just a matter of if his resolution is increasing, decreasing, or staying the same when moving from his monitor to his TV.

10+ Year Old Account
    None of those questions matters. It's just a matter of if his resolution is increasing, decreasing, or staying the same when moving from his monitor to his TV.
    How is this anywhere near relevant if it looks like shit?
    I'm trying to inform him that it's not going to look great. Maybe you're new to the computer forums, but if you take a look around, you'll notice we tend to have more decisive answers than: "Yes, lower resolution, therefor, more fps."

How is this anywhere near relevant if it looks like shit?
    I'm trying to inform him that it's not going to look great. Maybe you're new to the computer forums, but if you take a look around, you'll notice we tend to have more decisive answers than: "Yes, lower resolution, therefor, more fps."
    How is it relevant? Because the question was "Would this increase my FPS in games?"

10+ Year Old Account
    How is it relevant? Because the question was "Would this increase my FPS in games?"
    Can't tell if trolling.
    I'm going to link you a few quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by obscurede View Post
    Better to wait for Nokia's new line of W7 phones. IDK how the things work in the US but imo, since nokia has gained special rights for moding w7, its something to look forward to, and besides after their fall in the smart-phone market, its planning to turn to over a new leaf and well, something to look forward to is the next iPhone. There is a good chance that they may let in 3rd party apps even before JBing with the implementation of the new iPhone.

I m pretty sure that by the end of the year, W7, Android & iOS will be neck to neck. Each has a unique UI (I like w7 ui, infinite screen). Only sad thing is that w7 doesnt have much apps atm, but thts just a matter of time. For short, W7 is good.!
    In a thread titled "Windows 7 Phone, is it good?" At any point does he say yes or no? No. Is his answer acceptable? Sure.

These are intellectual discussions. People looking for decisive answers should Google them instead, as the purpose of the forums is to provide COMMUNITY input.

Can't tell if trolling.
    I'm going to link you a few quotes.

In a thread titled "Windows 7 Phone, is it good?" At any point does he say yes or no? No. Is his answer acceptable? Sure.

These are intellectual discussions. People looking for decisive answers should Google them instead, as the purpose of the forums is to provide COMMUNITY input.
    If the question is "is it good?", that's a completely subjective question, where that answer fits. If he asked "should I use a TV instead of my monitor", then including more than resolution would be a better answer. Community input is one thing, but spreading misinformation is something else altogether.

edit: completed a thought. oops.