Page 1 of 3
LastLast

New mouse time, any suggestions?

My 5 year old Logitech MX518 is starting to weird out on me (cursor shoots up and to the left or right randomly, not that often, but very annoying when it does it, and the scroll wheel will sometimes do a "two steps forward, one step back" kind of thing where it will scroll down, then jump up a click from time to time) so I'm thinking of picking up a replacement.

I have loved this mouse for the last 5 years I've been using it, and will most likely get another one, but I was wondering if there was anything else out there I should look at? I play WoW (barely, only reason I haven't cancelled my account is because I raid w/my friends 2 nights a week when I can... other than that I'm never online), and an assortment of action/shooter games (Crysis 2, BFBC2, etc). I wouldn't be opposed to wireless, but I prefer wired (no "crap, my mouse's battery died!" mid boss/gun fight)

I really like the button layout of the MX518, and would like to stick to it (i.e. no Razer Naga/other mouse with a billion buttons on the side, I only need two side buttons, a scroll wheel w/middle click, and sensitivity adjustment buttons are must) I don't really have "a budget" but cheaper is always better.

(what about the G500, that any good?)

Deleted
    inb4 Naga

I like the Logitech g500 and razer Mamba

Mamaba is wireless but you can plug it and it become wired

both mice go upto 5600 DPI

My go-to mouse whenever someone asks about a gaming mouse is the Razer Deathadder. Its a great mouse for its price and only has two side buttons.

Another mouse that's a tad excessive, but awesomely so is the RATZ 7. Its an extremely customizable mouse where you can change things like weight, height, width, etc.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adappy View Post
    I really like the button layout of the MX518, and would like to stick to it (i.e. no Razer Naga/other mouse with a billion buttons on the side, I only need two side buttons, a scroll wheel w/middle click, and sensitivity adjustment buttons are must) I don't really have "a budget" but cheaper is always better.

(what about the G500, that any good?)
    I just got a new mouse recently. I was given the Steelseries WoW Cataclysm mouse (or whatever it was), and didn't like it. Too many buttons, didn't fit my hand. I bind things to my mouse wheel and stuff but I don't need 100 buttons.

I ended up just getting a Logitech M705 wireless. The box says 3 year battery life, but that seems a little ridiculous to me.
    http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl...qi=g3&aql=&oq=
    Anyway, I like it. It's got two on the side, left and right, and a toggle for free-wheel or click-wheel, which I really like. Was pretty cheap too, like $30 or something?

I'd say just go to Best Buy or Micro Center or whatever computer store you have near you with displays so you can touch them and see what you like. It sounds like you don't want some ridiculous mouse, so just get something simple. You don't need OMG Razer stuff.

And if you like your MX518... why don't you just get another MX518?

Quote Originally Posted by Porcell View Post
    And if you like your MX518... why don't you just get another MX518?
    That's probably what I'll end up doing, just checking what other options there are out there

Quote Originally Posted by Krytz View Post
    inb4 Naga

I like the Logitech g500 and razer Mamba

Mamaba is wireless but you can plug it and it become wired

both mice go upto 5600 DPI
    G500 would have the same layout as the 518. Has a third thumb button however. You could also look at the G700, it's wireless, but works wired when you have it plugged in via the charging cable.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

i <3 the naga, my suggestion

was in same boat as you. had a mx518 for like 4 years.

bought a razer naga, HATED it, RMA'd it.

bought a razer death adder, it's ok.

in the end, i bought another mx518 along with the death adder, just in case.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Naga....>_>
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Logitech G700 - amazing mouse with great contour & added buttons for functionality.

My Razor Naga (and actually all other Razor products I've owned - headsets, mice, etc) have been garbage. I've returned at least 3 Razor products in the past 2 years, and I strongly recommend against them. Anyone who screams "Razor Naga!!!" clearly has never used a quality mouse before, because that certainly isn't it. It feels cheap, because..well...it is cheap. It's a kids mouse, and although it works, it's overpriced considering the build quality.

If you're looking for something quality, and you've got $75 to spend, look into the Logitech G700. For a mouse, especially one that's purpose built for MMO gaming, it's amazing.

PS - It's wired AND wireless. Probably my favorite feature.

PPS - I just skimmed over your post. If you're really on a budget, yes, the G500 is a quality mouse.
    Last edited by handledofstormreaverus; 2011-06-04 at 04:27 AM.

Logitech G700 without a doubt, bunch of keys and great feel for the hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennydabull View Post
    bought a razer naga, HATED it, RMA'd it.
    Why did you hate it? I was planning on getting one but I really have to think this one before I spend 120 bucks in a mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by ardipithecus11 View Post
    Why did you hate it? I was planning on getting one but I really have to think this one before I spend 120 bucks in a mouse.
    There's even prudes in mice-land. I've never had a Razer product break on me (yet), and I love my Naga. Yea, it isn't god's gift to mice, but it does it's job well enough for most people. Granted, the G700 is a badass mouse with tons of features, so it's probably a good recommendation if you don't feel the 'need' for a dozen buttons on the side. And the Naga does have shitty index finger buttons on the front left side.

Love my Naga, took a week or so to get use to the buttons on the side though. :]

Not a fan of Razor mice, i have had 3 of them and all of them have broken within 6 months, I prefer my Logitech G9 had for years now

I've had my Deathadder for close to 2 1/2 years now and I have yet to have an issue with it o.o

I used an MX518 for many years. When mine finally died I went with a Cyborg Rat 7. It feels awesome, and I have big hands so being able to customize the shape to fit me is really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by ardipithecus11 View Post
    I've heard a couple things about them dying after extended use, but other than that I think the only reason I would ever get rid of mine was because it feels like it's built for what seems to be smaller than average hands. Pretty easy to get used to but I still wish the body was a tiny bit larger from time to time.

Mine replaced my Logitech MX517.

10+ Year Old Account
    If your looking for a really similiar layout check out this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-003-_-Product

Mionix Naos 3200, they also have a 5000 with a laser instead of led and weight system and more LED and LED colors, Great mouse I love mine especially if you have big hands. Itll save you $30 over the Naga too.

Oh and you can also change your DPI on the fly with the middle buttons that are also programmable.

10+ Year Old Account
    As unoriginal as it is, i'd suggest the razer naga if you're planning on getting serious into the game (serious as in gladiator, not no noob crap like doing 25 H Raid, pve requires no skill). If you're planning on just being casual, then get a logitech 40 dollar mouse.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.