Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    This makes me very embarrassed about being a Dane. Will someone pls end his sufferings already.......

Worst part is that this "portrait" is piss poor journalism.

Quote Originally Posted by Danishgirl View Post
    This makes me very embarrassed about being a Dane. Will someone pls end his sufferings already.......

Worst part is that this "portrait" is piss poor journalism.
    This. Surely its something from DK4 ? Or local "speciel" TV.

Deleted
    It's Lorry or w/e it's called in Jylland. Soooo fail......

/facepalm

Ps. Not all Danes are that ugly

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raeli View Post
    You might go "oh noes, he makes us all look like lamer noobs" but I seriously doubt the people that this report is aimed at are going "zomg lol, what a noob, backpeddalling like that, U SO BAD!"
    That's not what I meant at all, lol. I meant that the non-WoW players would see it and think "Oh my god, people that play World of Warcraft are awful, I bet none of them have jobs or girlfriends/boyfriends and they're all locked away 24/7." I really don't care if non-WoW players think "Oh my god, all WoW players are awful, they keyboard turn!" xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing new, that is how the media portrays things that people who arent into something - wont likely understand much of at all. So they stereotype it ALOT, and it is mostly negative.

Almost every time I see something about WoW, or another wellknown game in the news - it's been negative, and had so much stereotypes that it's just been facepalm worthy to read about.

10+ Year Old Account
    hahahaha.. I don't even know

Deleted
    I stopped watching when he translated the place to "Livets vugge", come on!!
    This is quite pathetic, and that someone didn't raise their hand when this came up during a meeting and said "Hey guys, this thing we're going to do about WoW, yeah, fuck that!" is beyond me.
    Urgh. I'm more embarrassed on this guy's ways though, such a label to get on national TV, poor guy.

Deleted
    I can say something...
    WHY ALWAYS THEY MAKE US LOOK LIKE RETARDS WEIRDOS OR (even more) FREAKS?!

Deleted
    If you understand that shit in Danish it's even more embarassing for that kid than the English translation. Damn I feel all embarassed now, I don't know why :s

DUDE! WoW gave this kid a stronger sense of justice !!!

---------- Post added 2011-06-04 at 06:35 PM ----------

also, I've always wondered what the alliance looked like IRL.

10+ Year Old Account
    Atleast the villages in WoW are safe!

Wait, what ?

If you understand that shit in Danish it's even more embarassing for that kid than the English translation. Damn I feel all embarassed now, I don't know why :s
    I'm not 100% on the danish, but I got most of it. And yeah, it's even worse than the translation...

That kid is going to regret this interview for the rest of he's life, just wait till it gets widely known at he's school and wahtnot. Everyone will be /facepalming so hard

Forever alone I guess?!

Nothing new. It's what happens to everything thats considered a subculture.

Because apparently according to an local Austrian TV Station Goths are Vampires and will eat your babies... Sounds about right, no ?

The thing is, most modern Journalists dont care wether they actually distribute actual facts, or complete rubbish that will sate the crowd longing for sensationalism.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    I watched 50 seconds of it, then couldn't stomach any more.

It is hard to simplify a rather complex game to the general Danish population in 4 minutes. Ever tried explaining what this game is about to your girlfriend's parents? Not like you ever hear the: "Oh, yes - now I see...."

Anyone else had problems watching that video? I had to give up after 2 minutes.

Too painful to watch..

Deleted
    Compared to most other news about WoW made by news reporters this one at least shows some good sides of it.

I don't know Danish so I only read the translation. I don't care she said Dalaran is a village, for people who have no clue about these stuff it may look like one. Still, the fact that they did talk about the sense of justice and the english improvement does show that people in general are starting to understand gaming more and not just see the part where we sit in front of the computer for hours.

The kid they picked wasn't best choice though. And that line that behind the door strange things happen and when he opened it we could see the bed, that was just lol, makes my think of something else xD

Deleted
    See this is why WoW is such a social stigma - there is no fucking way you can ever explain this game to anyone who doesn't play it, in a way that actually makes any sense / makes you not look like a nerd-burglar.

I don't really understand how or why people try, i'd much rather not mention I play this game to people, purely because I know for a fact I won't able to justify myself doing so in a rational way.

Why are you people acting like this is so bad or embarrassing? If you get embarrassed by some random report on WoW like this, you have issues.

This quote has it right on:

Quote Originally Posted by Raeli View Post
    I think you're wrong really. If you look at this, it's not biased like most reports - most talk about how alone the person is, how they spend so much time locked away. They even say in this report that his parents say he has a stronger sense of justice because of WoW - how is this a negative thing? It's EXTREMELY dumbed down, but it has to be compared to what people who actually play WoW would expect - it's a general report most likely aimed at people that know nothing about it, or gaming even in general, but think that they are this evil bad thing.

This report shows that WoW isn't harming people and has a lot of positive impact in people's lives. It has helped him speak and read English far better for instance - he even said he was the best in his class. Any parent would see that as a positive thing.

You might go "oh noes, he makes us all look like lamer noobs" but I seriously doubt the people that this report is aimed at are going "zomg lol, what a noob, backpeddalling like that, U SO BAD!"

I haven't seen many reports about WoW, but most of them are extremely negative and focus on statistics of how often people are just sitting there infront of a computer locking themselves away, this doesn't do that though. It shines a good light on WoW for non-gamers that know very little about it other than what they have already heard.

Edit: It doesn't matter, factually, if he was actually in Violet Hold, not saving some village, or if the Succubus is actually a tank, or if he is a terrible player, people that don't play wow aren't going to know the difference, or even care. They will take on board the things that were said though that I have already been over.

Quote Originally Posted by Farahawnee View Post
    Not having an authenticator on your account is like not locking your windows because your front door is locked, and then wondering how a burglar got in.

I'm almost too afraid of admitting i'm Danish now

While it IS the first WoW news i've ever seen that says anything remotely good about WoW, I feel abit sorry for the poor guy. Translating The Craddle of Life into Danish made me /facepalm.

It's great that news have started to look at the good side of gaming though. And I can confirm the better at English part. I've always been good at English, but my English has just gotten alot better wehn i joined a guild and started raiding and having random chats on Teamspeak.

Edit:
    As some other posters above me has said, explaining what WoW is about to a non-gamer (hell, even a gamer who has never played WoW before) is extremely hard. WoW is a really complex game, and not just your ordinary 'shoot the enemy before he shoots you' game, which is why most fail to understand it.
    Last edited by Mestofiles; 2011-06-04 at 04:04 PM.

It was a bit painful to watch, but oh well... he's 11 years old, and it's hard to relay what WoW is about in 4+ mins, since the basics usually take longer to explain, so it's dumbed down with short cuts on the facts like Violet Hold being a town. I doubt that many people watched that segment either, since it's made by a provincial tv station in Denmark, and not many people watch them... and Denmark is small on top of that.