10+ Year Old Account

Advice on building a Watercooling Loop.

Hey everyone, I'm brand new to watercooling and its something I would really like to get into. I have a flexible budget of about $400, need a CPU block, pump, radiator and reservoir. I live in Canada so I need to buy from somewhere that ships here. I have two big cases, CM Storm Sniper Black and Silverstone RV-02 so room isn't an issue, and I currently use an i7-930. I'm looking for a setup that will be good enough to eventually add in chipset and videocard cooling to the loop.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

10+ Year Old Account
    IMHO, getting an H70, a nice motherboard, and an i5 2500k would be more worth it. You'll get higher clocks...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    IMHO, getting an H70, a nice motherboard, and an i5 2500k would be more worth it. You'll get higher clocks...
    This. I always think of watercooling as something for enthousiasts really. Air cooling is not only cheap but does the job for 99% anyway. Besides, the maintenance on the loops would drive me crazy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    I want to get the watercooling system now, because I know it will last me through a few builds. I'm planning on upgrading my CPU when the Socket 2011s come out in Q4
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    I want to get the watercooling system now, because I know it will last me through a few builds. I'm planning on upgrading my CPU when the Socket 2011s come out in Q4
    Ah, in that case, I'd listen to Synthaxx, I'm pretty sure he used to have a nice watercooling setup.

Can I ask why you are wanting to water cool? Not to criticize or anything but what are the advantages to water cooling over air cooling?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Docphil View Post
    Can I ask why you are wanting to water cool? Not to criticize or anything but what are the advantages to water cooling over air cooling?
    Silence, efficiency, and e-peen.
    1.) It's vastly more effective than a solid air cooler at cooling a CPU block.
    2.) You can have a theoretically infinite radiator size. This means upgrades are easier, should you decide to clock higher. (as opposed to buying a new cooler, or hitting the roof of the air coolers.)
    3.) Provided you have good fans, water cooling can be virtually silent. Air coolers don't have this blessing.
    4.) E-peen. Water cooling loops are more difficult than a simple air cooled cpu block and an excellent display of skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    This. I always think of watercooling as something for enthousiasts really. Air cooling is not only cheap but does the job for 99% anyway. Besides, the maintenance on the loops would drive me crazy.
    This is correct. You don't go water just because it's better than air. It involves planning, maintenance(~6 month flushes and 1 year teardowns) and the like. It's something you do because you want to do it, and are willing to deal with it all. You take it slow, plan it out, put it together, leak test with the system OFF, bleed it, etc.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Good to know. It does look very nice when done well I will say that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    I do have to question that since gas particles are able to move much more freely, whether with the correct equipment and a high pressure loop whether pumping it around would be better for cooling it than liquid. It's not something i'll ever try, but it got me wondering. Obviously, without the pressure and containment it would be the same as current air cooling we have. Pressurised Pneumatic cooling essentially.
    Sounds a little like phase change. :S