15+ Year Old Account

How do i use a Mouseover Macro?

Im not very savvy with these macros and have tried a few different mouseovers but i seem to not get the jist of how to use them. I see lots that seem great and i know i should be using them but none seem to work as ive never heard of them until i started playing WoW.

I was under the impression for example i would make this web macro...

#showtooltip Web
    /cast [@mouseover,harm,exists]Web
    /cast Web

bind it to lets say E , then keep my finger on E and click the mob i want to use it on. Anyway it doesnt work, ive done searches on google but none seem to give me a clue on how to use them? This is not the first ive tried either.

Could anyone please give me and idiots step by step guide to getting that macro to work and the correct process to use it.

Thanks in advance.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm... I only use them for healing. Mine go:

#showtooltip Heal
    /cast [target=mouseover,help,exists] [target=player] Heal

Then I just mouseover the nameplate and push the keybind to heal. Or, if I'm not moused over anything, it heals me. I would imagine for harmful spells, you could just replace "help" with "harm" and it should work. Not sure though.

15+ Year Old Account
    So am i do it correctly by keeping my finger on the binded key and just clicking over the target?

You have to have your mouse over the target, and then press it. Not first press it and then target it.

This can be done either on the actual character, or on some party/raid frames.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    It is mouseover, whatever your mouse is hovering over is what the spell will be cast on. Obviously heals cant be cast on enemy toons though.

Deleted
    How do I cast Web?

It will be cast over whatever play your mouse is hovering over, whether its on raid frames or their actual character or their portrait. I personally prefer using clique, because I'd have no need to hover over an actual player.

Quote Originally Posted by Meatgrinder View Post
    How do I cast Web? ...
    I c wut u did thar.

Anyways, what meat said. Mouseover is just that. It casts on whatever your mouse is hovering over, be it raid frame, 3d world, or any other reference to a target.

15+ Year Old Account
    Got the hang of it, thx guys