344 40.00%
  • No, he's still just a little kid.

242 28.14%
  • Undecided, know too little to judge.

274 31.86%
Page 1 of 29
... LastLast
    Deleted

12-year old boy beats his little brother to death. Lifetime in prison, yes or no?

Here's a story, it made me really sad.

http://www.dreamindemon.com/2011/06/...ther-to-death/

My question to you all is, do you think that someone this young should be sentanced for entire life spent in prison?

My person opinion is no because prison will only make him 10 times worse, and how the conditions in which he was raised were among the worst one person could think of, but I wanna hear your opinions.
    Last edited by mmoc98b28eb1ac; 2011-06-07 at 05:58 PM.

What kind of 12 year old would do that to his little Brother? Is this kid Save-able? I don't know but at the age of 12 I never wanted to kill anyone least of all my Brother, So why would this kid? I think this guy needs help and if it doesn't work then yes, in my Opinion the Sentence is fine

Deleted
    This part is the one that really got me.

Susana would later find a man who would end up abusing Fernandez physically, mentally and sexually. Police got involved after Fernandez showed up to school sporting an eye injury and officials called them to report their concerns. When police arrived at the stepfather’s residence to arrest him, he pulled out a gun and blew his brains out in front of the other siblings.

That's...a...delicate situation. How can you sentence a 12 year old to life in prison?

I've got alot of opinions about our legal system, but situations like this stump me.

Deleted
    These things are very difficult. It's more than just a simple "yes or no" situation, there is far more that needs to be taken into account than the facts that are given. I (and i suspect most people on this topic) do not have the expertise or the experience in justice, child psychology or other areas to determine what the best solution would be.

Jesus Christ. I may of fought with my little brother growing up from time to time. But always felt like shit if I seriously hurt him. Sucks he had a shitty life growing up, but that does not justify that kind of behavior to a 2 yr old. Maybe prison is not right for him yet, but get him the help he needs. He's on a one way track to the lethal injection table.
    Last edited by Nazdreg; 2011-06-07 at 06:27 PM.
    Orks, Space Marines, Rift (<---- Links for pics BTW)

I'm sorry but i have to go with no here for the reason that not only is the kid 12, but when you read the story and see what the kid has been through you have to put hope in the fact with help he could get past this.

Now, to clarify I don's disagree the boy has committed a horrible crime and needs some form of justice, however I think the kid would be better suited to a mental home rather than a prison cell.

For those that did not read the story here is some of the things this child was subjected to since being born to his incapable 12 year old mother.

"Susana gave birth to him when she was just 12-years-old. When he was a toddler, Fernandez was found naked and dirty wandering in a hotel parking lot. Susana was only 14 at the time, so when the mother and son’s guardian was arrested on charges of neglect and possession of drugs, both Fernandez and Susana were placed in foster care.

Susana would later find a man who would end up abusing Fernandez physically, mentally and sexually. Police got involved after Fernandez showed up to school sporting an eye injury and officials called them to report their concerns. When police arrived at the stepfather’s residence to arrest him, he pulled out a gun and blew his brains out in front of the other siblings. It was after this incident that Susana moved to Jacksonville."

This kid could have been saved from this tragedy and the life he is now condemned to, instead social services/the authorities failed him along with his inept mother. Despite his physical/sexual abuse and neglect throughout life he has been offered no support and no therapy.

oww man i thought this was going to be reserved only for neogaf , lol i wont read everything again here but i just can tell,
    i am so sorry for both of the children, its really sad

Deleted
    Definately not a prison. It would only make him worse. (how long is life for a 12yo or in general in the US?)
    He's 12. He's been abused his whole life and never had a proper family. What he needs is therapy and a STRONG family with two parents who have the time to look after him.

Jail is not rehab.

This young man needs professional help. He can be saved.

He's most likely a lost cause. Institutionalize him for life.
    children dont have any fault at how is the world they are brought into. hes not a lost cause, just people with comments like this and monsters dont even wanna give a chance to someone who never had a chance to experience what is a family.

besides, if we look deeply. the child who died could have been saved if it wasnt by the stupid mothers negligence. yes there was violence but in this case, fear killed the boy really.

Deleted
    Definitely not prison, that would only make it worse.

Well, first of all, classic Jacksonville.

OT: I'm with Gawwad on this one. A life sentence is unreasonable for a 12 year old who has had a tough childhood. He needs a full-time family and some therapy before he grows up and falls in with other people like this.

Rathalir Emberlight of the Crystal Desert realm

10+ Year Old Account
    Still plenty of time to fix him up and make him a functional member of society.

better than putting him on the taxpayer dime for the next 80 years.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    I say death penalty whenn kids start off like this its yust gonna grow up to be worse

His childhood has ruined him mentally for all future, he can get all the help he wants, he will never truly change(people don't change).
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

There is hugely better situations than prison. He needs new life to even have a chance to change.

if this kid ends up in a regular jail on his age. i swear in 15 years there's gonna be a movie about this kid getting released and tearing shit up. Good help might save him. Putting him in jail now will destroy him.

I say death penalty whenn kids start off like this its yust gonna grow up to be worse
    finish your school first, then you may be able to understand this situation and then eventually be able to post constructive info on forums :3

Mod Warning: Post more constructively.
    Last edited by mmoc0fc091fcb6; 2011-06-08 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda1337 View Post
    His childhood has ruined him mentally for all future, he can get all the help he wants, he will never truly change(people don't change).

I think that it's incredibly difficult to change an adult.

Kids.. can/will change. I have seen it with my own eyes, working with youth in a rough community setting. I'm talking about kids from all walks of life. Some have older brothers who run the blocks surrounding the center. I am literally in there schooling these kids about life while their siblings are across the street slanging crack.

Kids can change. Shame on you for not realizing the potential of a young mind.