Thread: Final Fantasy

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I remember Suikoden (beat em all) and I remember buying FF for the SNES the day it came out. I played all the FFs that came out stateside through FF XII, including anthologies. FF III (SNES) Was by far the most well-fleshed out story line imo. I played and loved all of them up to FF X-2, that one blew chunks! Tbh though...I want my materia back!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomasmgp View Post
    There was never a 6....2,3,7,8,9,X,X-2,12,13
    Must...be...trollin....

Just in case, 6 = 3. 2,3 and 5 weren't originally released in the us, so 4 and 6 became 2 and in the US, then when 7 came out, they stopped doing that.

6 and 12 are standouts, gameplay wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiraiyah View Post
    Must...be...trollin....

Just in case, 6 = 3. 2,3 and 5 weren't originally released in the us, so 4 and 6 became 2 and in the US, then when 7 came out, they stopped doing that.

6 and 12 are standouts, gameplay wise.
    what? 6=3, but 6 and 4 = 2? 0.o
    I dont know how they released FF in america, but this weird

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    The US did not get all of the games until they started releasing the compilations.

4 was actually 2 for the US
    6 was actually 3 for the US
    5 was not released in the US until Anthologies, when they re-released 6
    3 was never released in the US until a remake of it for the DS was done in 2006
    I love you forever and ever and then some times two

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    JP 1 = NA 1
    JP 2, 3, 5 = not originally released in NA
    JP 4 = NA 2
    JP 6 = NA 3
    JP 7 = NA 7
    JP 8 = NA 8
    Last edited by Delia; 2011-06-08 at 06:54 PM.

Deleted
    I like Golden Sun more. (please don't kill me D

Quote Originally Posted by Thomasmgp View Post
    There was never a 6....2,3,7,8,9,X,X-2,12,13
    in japan they were released in order, however 2,3, and 5 were rather lackluster. so in american markets, 4 became 2, 6 became 3, and 7 was allowed to remain as 7 mostly due to it being on a different system.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can blame this on the fact that a lot of the people that made Final Fantasy what it was back in the day have moved on to other companies and the Japanese gaming industry in general. For the sake of discussion, I agree with your opinion about FF13. It just is not fun and was directed in a terrible way ; the lead director admitted it was a hack job.

God, I miss Sakaguchi

Edit: Shouldn't this be in the video game section?
    Last edited by Nahte; 2011-06-08 at 06:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayirasi View Post
    You're right. Blizzard shouldn't have temporarily banned you. They should have sent a couple employees to your residence to Jay and Silent Bob you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokvr1 View Post
    I saved a man's life today by performing brain surgery and removing a tumor the size of a quarter from his frontal lobes. God damnit I wish I wasn't ignorant though, cause I have no idea what an LSAT is. I don't know the radius of the Moon either.
    I took part in the LSAT/Cataclysm release date thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Angyles View Post
    The US did not get all of the games until they started releasing the compilations.

4 was actually 2 for the US
    6 was actually 3 for the US
    5 was not released in the US until Anthologies, when they re-released 6
    3 was never released in the US until a remake of it for the DS was done in 2006

Just adding to this.

FF1 was in Amerca and Japan for NES
    FF2 was and still is Japan only also NES
    FF3 started Japan only but PSP and DS have it now.
    FF Mystic Quest released on SNES in America only. (Game is retarded easy and was designed as a learner rpg. FF1 was not a big seller in US so this was to grab our attention)
    FF4 Was released in US as FF2 since this was out second in the numerical series. Japan had it as 4
    FF5 Jap only till Final Fantasy Anathology and Chronicles.
    FF6 Was FF3 in America for same reason as FF4 later Anathalogy and Chronicles.
    FF7 They gave up the screwy number system and just counted. Thats why us went 1 2 3 7.
    FF8 9 10 10-2 12 13 Normal
    FF11 - mmo

Also everyone knows 8 is the best. The draw magic and junction abilities where amazing and not instant win they cost some grinding.
    Last edited by Keilith; 2011-06-08 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keilith View Post
    FF5 Jap only till Final Fantasy Anathology and Chronicles.
    Off topic, but you should really use JP to abbreviate Japan or Japanese, as they consider Jap to be a racial slur (I learned this from playing FFXI with Japanese players)
    Last edited by Delia; 2011-06-08 at 07:08 PM.

I really just need to say that Final Fantasy 12 is my least favorite game of all time, bar none. No I am not over-exaggerating. I played through and loved all FF2, FF4, FF7, FF9 and FFX. I had been hearing that FFXII had been getting a bad rap, but I figure,d come on, even though it's no longer square enix, squaresoft can't screw up a classic that badly can they?

Oh.

My.

God.

FFXII felt like a gaming apocalypse to me. The end of an entire age of good games. I hated it from the start, but I played a good 14 hours into it JUST to see if it got better. It got worse. The whole random chests, random drops, LITERALLY NON-EXISTANT CURRENCY outside if you grinded for hours and hours and hours, the best weapon in game unlocked if you didn't open 7 nothing-special-about-them-whatsoever chests in game (worst idea in any game I've ever heard, honestly, 100% reuires a guide) and no middleground between absurdly easy and insanely hard fights. You'd come from 2-3 hours of complete joke encounters and then fight a boss/mob that would wipe your group in seconds if you didn't have a guide.

In my opinion, if you like FXII, you don't like the Final Fantasy series.

Edit: Oh and FFXI buying weapons and armor? Lol. FFXIII? The series has let me down far too much to even considering trying to play it. FFX is and will remain the final Final Fantasy.
    If a shaman tells you that he can't tank, he's just not doing it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    I like Golden Sun more. (please don't kill me D
    Golden Sun was awsome as well, just not so popular. =)

Quote Originally Posted by herpecin View Post
    in japan they were released in order, however 2,3, and 5 were rather lackluster. so in american markets, 4 became 2, 6 became 3, and 7 was allowed to remain as 7 mostly due to it being on a different system.
    In fairness, 5 was actually a pretty decent game

They should simply rename final fantasy into something else. like this, i wont have any problem with "not so good" final fantasy games anymore.
    ill give XIII-2 a try, and XV. if they dont rule, i wont buy a single FF game anymore

Just recently played FFX again on my lovely PSCX*COUGH COUGH*Playstation 2.

When comparing it and XIII, there are a few important differences:
    a) XIII has no side-games. Blitzball was just the best thing to do outside of regular stuff in the history of Final Fantasy. [Cardgame in VIII on a close second place.]
    b) XIII has far more action than X. It's faster and plays more fluently. Whether this is a good thing or not is for each themself to decide. [I mean, c'mon, there are even people saying that text-games, typing "go north" and stuff like that, are the crème-de-la-crème.]
    c) XIII does away with many of the old stats. For example, no mana. This lowers the complexity quite a bit, again your decision on whether that's good or bad. Do you like having to watch how much mana you have left, or is it just one of the things you are more often than not frustrated by, running oom/having to use a pot, but somehow miss when it's suddenly gone?
    d) XIII does not force you to heal outside of battles. Makes it less of an annoyance to always try and steal mana/health right at the end of the battle, just so you can be prepared for what comes next. [I remember using Lancet every single battle in FFX... -.-']
    e) XIII, for the first time, let's you pick your battles effectively and makes pre-emptive strikes skill-dependant. Big upside, imo.
    f) XIII is extremely linear in the first two dozen hours. Definitely a down-side to the game. Although it can make for good story-telling, it's not really all that necessary. [Also sucked that you, most of the time, only had 1-2 available characters.]
    g) Takes slightly too long to unlock grids, summons and the like.
    h) Summons in XIII are not strong enough all in all.
    i) No Malboro in XIII.
    j) XIII automatically lets you scan enemies without needing to use any abilities for it. [Often takes more than one kill to know all vulnerabilities and stats, though. Happens faster on bosses, though.]
    k) XIII is, generally, more skillbased than most of it's predecessors. Now, mind you, that's still a really small amount of skill needed, but simply more than just knowing which ability to use when one of your characters was damaged.

In the end, XIII tried to do two things at once:
    1) Return to the quality of the old games of the series.
    2) Step into the future of RPGs, which contains much more action elements then e.g. FFX.

If they hadn't done the second one, they'd have made no progress but instead created the Final Fantasy that all the old fans would have wanted.
    Instead, they created a new Final Fantasy, hoping for the old fans to realise that there's something new and shiny, aswell as for possible new customers to get interested in the new direction of this well-known series.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xombo View Post
    Stuff
    Can't help but agree. The writing and characters were all that kept me playing 12. It felt like like a horifically unbalanced Baldurs Gate.

On the topic of 13: I returned it within the week.
    You're right. Blizzard shouldn't have temporarily banned you. They should have sent a couple employees to your residence to Jay and Silent Bob you.
    I saved a man's life today by performing brain surgery and removing a tumor the size of a quarter from his frontal lobes. God damnit I wish I wasn't ignorant though, cause I have no idea what an LSAT is. I don't know the radius of the Moon either.

BTW: I was extremely surprised when I saw that "Final Fantasy - The Spirits within" was indeed made by Square and it's affiliates... WHY?!?!?
    Had nothing at all to do with any of the franchises, why create something like that? Ugh...

Quote Originally Posted by Xombo View Post
    I really just need to say that Final Fantasy 12 is my least favorite game of all time, bar none. No I am not over-exaggerating. I played through and loved all FF2, FF4, FF7, FF9 and FFX. I had been hearing that FFXII had been getting a bad rap, but I figure,d come on, even though it's no longer square enix, squaresoft can't screw up a classic that badly can they?

Oh.

My.

God.

FFXII felt like a gaming apocalypse to me. The end of an entire age of good games. I hated it from the start, but I played a good 14 hours into it JUST to see if it got better. It got worse. The whole random chests, random drops, LITERALLY NON-EXISTANT CURRENCY outside if you grinded for hours and hours and hours, the best weapon in game unlocked if you didn't open 7 nothing-special-about-them-whatsoever chests in game (worst idea in any game I've ever heard, honestly, 100% reuires a guide) and no middleground between absurdly easy and insanely hard fights. You'd come from 2-3 hours of complete joke encounters and then fight a boss/mob that would wipe your group in seconds if you didn't have a guide.

In my opinion, if you like FXII, you don't like the Final Fantasy series.

Edit: Oh and FFXI buying weapons and armor? Lol. FFXIII? The series has let me down far too much to even considering trying to play it. FFX is and will remain the final Final Fantasy.
    Had a similar reaction the first time I played FFXII, but it does get better. Much, much better. And it has the best replayability of the entire series. I've been a huge FF fan since the beginning and trust me when I tell you it's by far one of the best.

I'd highly recommend you try it again but put it on the fastest setting and without having it wait while you're going through the menu. It adds a ton to the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voij View Post
    BTW: I was extremely surprised when I saw that "Final Fantasy - The Spirits within" was indeed made by Square and it's affiliates... WHY?!?!?
    Had nothing at all to do with any of the franchises, why create something like that? Ugh...
    Square was always known for it's cinematic focus in their games. It was sort of natural, as much as I'd hate to admit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Voij View Post
    There are a lot of "final fantasy"s which i would not consider "final fantasy". not becuase of the quality or whatever, but because they just didnt have anything to do with final fantasy... such as tactics http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_F...actics_Advance