Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Square Enix working on a new MMO?

Apparently Square Enix CEO Yoichi Wada said that they were currently developing a new MMO, IP unknown, and he says that it might be out within the year.

Link: http://ca.kotaku.com/5805355/final-f...-besides-ffxiv

I can't be the only one that sees this as a bad idea. We all know how successfull FF14 was. What do you guys think?

OT: Sorry if this has been posted before. I searched and found nothing, but I thought this was a big deal and expected to see it here already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayirasi View Post
    You're right. Blizzard shouldn't have temporarily banned you. They should have sent a couple employees to your residence to Jay and Silent Bob you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokvr1 View Post
    I saved a man's life today by performing brain surgery and removing a tumor the size of a quarter from his frontal lobes. God damnit I wish I wasn't ignorant though, cause I have no idea what an LSAT is. I don't know the radius of the Moon either.
    I took part in the LSAT/Cataclysm release date thread.

Deleted
    another crap mmo on the train on fail. /shrug

10+ Year Old Account
    They are like the octomom... its not about quality for them, its the quantity!

Yeah, they want to have 3 running at once (FFXI/FFXIV/New one) and they said they might announce it during E3 (so, by tomorrow) but that's all we know about it. Interesting move after the FFXIV debacle (the game is getting much better now with Yoshi P running things) but there is good money to be made in the MMO market (and they know it from FFXI) and they could use a nice cash influx (or...they could...REMAKE FFVII FOR PS3).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by frag971 View Post
    another crap mmo on the train on fail. /shrug
    You know what it looks like? Got your hands on it?

Did you even read the article or just see 'square' 'mmo' and 'year'

Does not say what you said it says at all. Fucking hell, I know the site is about Japanese news, but it is not in Japanese! "May reveal it by the end of the year" we all know that he meant it say will be released by then!

Quote Originally Posted by Nahte View Post
    Apparently Square Enix CEO Yoichi Wada said that they were currently developing a new MMO, IP unknown, and he says that it might be out within the year.

Link: http://ca.kotaku.com/5805355/final-f...-besides-ffxiv

I can't be the only one that sees this as a bad idea. We all know how successfull FF14 was. What do you guys think?

OT: Sorry if this has been posted before. I searched and found nothing, but I thought this was a big deal and expected to see it here already.
    Okay I'm going to make an assumption here that this new "MMO" hasn't been in development for several years and has gone completely unnoticed/unannounced. It's possible, but unlikely. What that means is there are going to attempt to use one of their existing engines to throw together a game in "under a year" like they did with FFXIV.

Anyone who played through Alpha/Beta of FFXIV saw that they essentially developed the gameplay aspects in a few months at most. All the work for the previous years was on the graphics engine and the FMV cinematics which were pretty, but can't sustain an MMO.

This has the same signature written all over it. I hate to say it, but I think the reign of the Japanese has come to end as the premier innovators of games and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by COOLFACE View Post
    You know what it looks like? Got your hands on it?
    Naw, but it's super cool to generalize. Squeenix has had some bad games recently, but they've had far more great games compared to their recent failures.

15+ Year Old Account
    Square should stop trying to make mmo's it's just not working. All it does is tarnish their image and make their good games seem like distant memories. Hell the last square game I really enjoyed was FFX and that wasn't yesterday.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Naw, but it's super cool to generalize. Squeenix has had some bad games recently, but they've had far more great games compared to their recent failures.
    Past performance is obviously no indicator of future gains...

FFXIV was singly a huge enough of failure in my mind to lose absolutely ALL in the credibility of Square-Enix. They are not the developer they once were...It's a sad day, but true. I won't go as far as to say that I won't buy a game from them ever, but I'm not going to roll the dice on them anymore. If the game isn't pretty obviously getting good reviews I'm not even going to bother.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, they want to have 3 running at once (FFXI/FFXIV/New one) and they said they might announce it during E3 (so, by tomorrow) but that's all we know about it. Interesting move after the FFXIV debacle (the game is getting much better now with Yoshi P running things) but there is good money to be made in the MMO market (and they know it from FFXI) and they could use a nice cash influx (or...they could...REMAKE FFVII FOR PS3).
    Having multiple running MMO's would be a good source of income for a company, but only if they are geared for completely different audiences. FF11 and FF14, quality aside, are targeted towards similar costumers. You are right about FF11 being a cash cow, but FF14 should actually be in a state that the fans would consider acceptable before they do this.

I just see a lot of mad mojo in all of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayirasi View Post
    You're right. Blizzard shouldn't have temporarily banned you. They should have sent a couple employees to your residence to Jay and Silent Bob you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokvr1 View Post
    I saved a man's life today by performing brain surgery and removing a tumor the size of a quarter from his frontal lobes. God damnit I wish I wasn't ignorant though, cause I have no idea what an LSAT is. I don't know the radius of the Moon either.
    I took part in the LSAT/Cataclysm release date thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Nahte View Post
    Having multiple running MMO's would be a good source of income for a company, but only if they are geared for completely different audiences. FF11 and FF14, quality aside, are targeted towards similar costumers. You are right about FF11 being a cash cow, but FF14 should actually be in a state that the fans would consider acceptable before they do this.

I just see a lot of mad mojo in all of this.
    Yeah, while I'm leaving it open for whatever they are working on to come out great, I don't have really high hopes (I don't think it will fail as hard as FFXIV though). It's kind of a crazy idea. I really think the head guys are trying to adapt but are too firmly rooted in what "used" to work, and are more or less failing all around because they're not sticking to what worked, nor are they moving forward in a way that keeps their games interesting and relevant. They're stuck halfway in between.

since were on the subject of fail mmo's is FFXIIII still free to the people that bought it.
    you know a MMO is total crap when they are patching in things like auto attack

Quote Originally Posted by jimlow View Post
    since were on the subject of fail mmo's is FFXIIII still free to the people that bought it.
    you know a MMO is total crap when they are patching in things like auto attack
    In a way, yes. They tried to do something radically different and failed. Not having autoattack isn't what caused the game to fail, it was the game mechanics/system as a whole. Vindictus doesn't have autoattack in the game, yet it does quite well.

Games try to change the generally accepted norms, sometimes they succeed, sometimes they fail. FFXIV succeeded in some areas (I played it during beta and loved the storytelling in it as well as the flexibility within the game to play it how YOU wanted), but failed miserably in other areas (combat in particular).

7 years of xi + 2 weeks of xiv = i'm waiting for a trial before i spend anymore money...

i do miss my mithra though...

In a way, yes. They tried to do something radically different and failed. Not having autoattack isn't what caused the game to fail, it was the game mechanics/system as a whole. Vindictus doesn't have autoattack in the game, yet it does quite well.

Games try to change the generally accepted norms, sometimes they succeed, sometimes they fail. FFXIV succeeded in some areas (I played it during beta and loved the storytelling in it as well as the flexibility within the game to play it how YOU wanted), but failed miserably in other areas (combat in particular).
    Well yes, but in the case of FFXIV what they were trying to do different was release a mostly empty engine and expected people to pay for it through all of development. This is from someone who went through Alpha/Beta and has a collector's edition on my shelf, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaerin View Post
    Well yes, but in the case of FFXIV what they were trying to do different was release a mostly empty engine and expected people to pay for it through all of development. This is from someone who went through Alpha/Beta and has a collector's edition on my shelf, unfortunately.
    I agree with you. The game launched more or less like Vanguard (Vanguard had more polished systems, but was much, much buggier than FFXIV) and tanked because of it. It's going to be hard to recover and I'd be surprised if it ever gets anywhere near as successful as FFXI. I had such high hopes for the game too and was genuinely excited about it

SE is not currently making money off of FF14. Subscriptions are currently free due to the recognized failure on the developers part. Basically, if you have the game you can play it. But it has almost zero content. They are also still developing for FF11, I presume until they fix 14.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimeir View Post
    SE is not currently making money off of FF14. Subscriptions are currently free due to the recognized failure on the developers part. Basically, if you have the game you can play it. But it has almost zero content. They are also still developing for FF11, I presume until they fix 14.
    If you define content as raids, then yes. If you define it as different things to do, then it has plenty.

And as far as I've read/heard, both will be developed simultaneously. They have different teams working on each game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like FFXI, it has some very nice touch and many interesting raids in it. There are some issue though, raids doesn't come out often enough, world boss is more down to speed of tagging instead of ability to kill, but raid wise it has some very interesting ones I wish they would inplement similar ones in WoW, like the 100 floor random generated tower climb, and raid that remove all your gear and disabled all your abilities and you have to unlock them as you progress.

FFXIV on the other hand.....

Just hope they take the model from FFXI and improve that one instead of looking at FFXIV and try improve that one...