Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

what's with the CoD hate?

Its mindboggling to see how wide this has spread on the internet and I'd like some insight as to why exactly is this happening. It seems that on any online media (Youtube coments, forums for just about every videogame, tweets and facebooks) the mere mention of Call of Duty sparks a wave of rage among the one who mentions it, but not just that, it seems that they seem to demonize anyone who happens to play Call of Duty.

To the point that CoD players are automatically and irrevocably 12 year olds (as if that was the only age range where someone can be inmature) gays/faggots (as if homosexuals were more ignorant or disgusting than the average joe) or plain simply stupids (as if playing a single videogame could degrade brain activity.

Why is this? I mean, its imposible to say watch a trailer for Mass Effect 3 without seeing comments like "CoD gays go away" or "dont compare this game to CoD, that's a piece of shit" I'm not from the US and in my country this sheer hatred for CoD doesn't exist so I'm quite confused as to why is this saga hated so much.

I mean, I've played every single CoD game out there, but not on multiplayer, only the campaings and thats about it (loved the campaign in black ops, it had a plot twist that I honestly did NOT saw coming) and while I'll admit its too unrealistic (regenerative health, absurd amounts of ammo, imposibly acurate weapons, and other factors) the game itself is simply fun. Its not a striking piece of art, nor the best First Person Shooter in the market (I can name of the top of my head 4 FPS that are much better) but its not so bad as to be hated so much, or be treated like THE SCOURGE OF HUMAN CIVILIZATION.

so...... any insights as to why is it so hated? is it a multiplayer thing? or something else?

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

Deleted
    I'm not a fan of the game, but I am not a hater.
    Personally I just think it is a game that's hugely over rated. Most people play it to play online and the campaign mode itself gets completely ignored, which is good because the campaign modes tend to be pretty poor and very short, compared to things like (as you mentioned) Mass Effect etc.

Deleted
    Naahh... I loved the first one, back then the single player was epic.
    The hate I see starting only when someone says CoD was better than BF.

i dont hate it or flame people for liking it...i just dont think its a good as its hyped up to be.

good fps....rinse & repeat 4 more times

and that about the last 5 CoD games =\
    Originally Posted by statlerthegreat
    I don't play a real world simulator. I play World of Warcraft. Where I am a Goblin, named after an explosive, that hurls balls of arcane "fuck you up" at internet dragons/ogres/whateverthehellmaloriakis.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because true shooters died years ago.
    ill probably be infracted for this post

10+ Year Old Account
    I went off Cod during MWF2, after a lot of frustrating online matches. I can see how the direction they're taking is popular; I just don't like it

I think most haters are actually hating on Cod players rather than the game itself

Quote Originally Posted by Desminn View Post
    i dont hate it or flame people for liking it...i just dont think its a good as its hyped up to be.

this is prety much my opinion of th game too. Its a fun FPS, but nothing super impresive. Doom, Half-life, FEAR, Crysis are much more impresive games. I agree the CoD franchise is overhyped, but what I dont get is why such a big hate for it, and most importantly their players.

Example: say something bad about a game (any game) and imidietly there's a lot of folk saying "go back to playing CoD nub" or stuff like that

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

Deleted
    I have to say its more of people dont want a game to be 100% focused on multiplayer like most modern shooters are today i for one aint touching the new cod games with a stick as i hate shooters in multiplayer apart from Natural Selection and Renegade when i buy a game i want it to have a good singleplayer aswell ofc this doesent count for mmo games.

Just look how c&c4 turned out 14 missions for both factions and the story was awfull so bad that the creators actuly recieved death threats and fans all around the world want this game to be removed from the storyline however the multiplayer part is fun as the game is made for multiplayer only or it was befor they where ordered to make it c&c4...

I hope that explained my pov for this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post
    this is prety much my opinion of th game too. Its a fun FPS, but nothing super impresive. Doom, Half-life, FEAR, Crysis are much more impresive games. I agree the CoD franchise is overhyped, but what I dont get is why such a big hate for it, and most importantly their players.

Example: say something bad about a game (any game) and imidietly there's a lot of folk saying "go back to playing CoD nub" or stuff like that
    The problem with CoD is they stick to the same formula. CoD is good just repeated with new story each game.

CoD is dope as hell, screw the haters imo

It's the same as everything else. People hating on other sports teams (to the point where a fight breaks out). People saying people who play wow are basement dwellers (or almost any MMORPG). It's the internet and people will say whatever they please because they don't fear a backlash. Also if someone finds something fun to do and someone else doesn't like it or is jealous they go on the offensive trashing the other person and we see that every day(almost every thread) while playing wow.

Now some of it may blend in with all that hate and be a genuine friendly competition comment. Like me and a friend always used to get into arguments with this guy at work on break over Halo v MW/BF. We went at eachothers throats over the matter but once break was over we just laugh it off and make jokes and continue on with our days. It comes down to people just take things too far.

Oh almost forgot... Obligatory GO BATTLEFIELD 3

People hate COD because it is the Madden of FPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Vayjir View Post
    I have to say its more of people dont want a game to be 100% focused on multiplayer like most modern shooters are today i for one aint touching the new cod games with a stick as i hate shooters in multiplayer apart from Natural Selection and Renegade when i buy a game i want it to have a good singleplayer aswell ofc this doesent count for mmo games.

Just look how c&c4 turned out 14 missions for both factions and the story was awfull so bad that the creators actuly recieved death threats and fans all around the world want this game to be removed from the storyline however the multiplayer part is fun as the game is made for multiplayer only or it was befor they where ordered to make it c&c4...

I hope that explained my pov for this matter.
    I would say the modern warfare games are about 70% multiplayer. It's a lot and if you don't want that a rent is definitely warranted because (in my opinion) the single player in both games was pretty good especially in 2 and that is my main reason for looking forward to 3. I agree that it will probably be regurgitated MW2 but if people buy it that's great afterall what a lot of people forget is they are a company and they are there to make money and people ARE still buying it so why would they change it I just don't see why people get so bent out of shape over that.

Deleted
    I certainly don't hate it. But I simply don't see the CoD franchise having brought much if anything new to the table in the past 10 or so years. Feels like a polished version of Counter Strike to me, with better graphics, more weapons and smoother gunplay.

Quote Originally Posted by vanin View Post
    I certainly don't hate it. But I simply don't see the CoD franchise having brought much if anything new to the table in the past 10 or so years. Feels like a polished version of Counter Strike to me, with better graphics, more weapons and smoother gunplay.
    Woah...you didn't just compare CoD to CS. CS 1.5 (and even 1.6) is the pinnacle of a spectacular, competitive FPS.

I don't hate CoD itself. It's the price tag of 60e that it presents itself with on launch and the pitiful 4 hours of single player gameplay it offers. I'm not interested in CoD's multiplayer one bit and the length of SP doesn't warrant such cost. (Nor does the MP either really, since it's unimaginative and done thousand times over, and not that well either.)
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post
    I mean, I've played every single CoD game out there, but not on multiplayer, only the campaings and thats about it
    Right there, that's why you don't understand. The multiplayer, and multiplayer community, is BEYOND awful for the most part.

10+ Year Old Account
    People love to hate things that are popular. It makes them seem edgy and stuff.

I'm not a huge fan of CoD, but I don't hate it either. It's pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Desminn View Post

What and BF is any different? Only new thing i see in the BF games has been destructible enviroments.