Thread: 8800gt died

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

8800gt died

My wife's 8800gt died, and I'm looking for a replacement that is about the same caliber. I don't want to go all out on it considering I don't have much money to spend right now, and I'm going to be building us new computers next year anyway so it would be a waste to get something expensive now and put it into a brand new rig.

I was looking for the most cost effective solution that was comparable in performance to the 8800gt and I came up with
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102855

Is that about right or is there something out there that's cheaper and will do the trick? She doesn't raid seriously anymore, just casual 10s and 25s and some farming, and other than that just light internet.

Thanks in advance

10+ Year Old Account
    Think you can get a 5670 (link) for about the same price. Model linked has GDDR5 memory even. Fine for low resolution and not-ultra settings. With that you get DX11 support and maybe a little higher framerate in WoW because of it.
    Last edited by Wries; 2011-06-08 at 10:08 PM.

Or else the 5570.
    Cheaper and better than the 4670.

Deleted
    You can always try the oven trick hihihi

It's a known issue with that serie, i dont know the specifics of the trick itself, but there is plenty to google about

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post

It's a known issue with that serie, i dont know the specifics of the trick itself, but there is plenty to google about
    Temp fix at best, done it with my 8800 and it lasted a couple of weeks, Basicly involves stripping the HSF off and putting the Circuit board in a oven for a few mins to remelt the solder joints.

would suggest you look at a radeon 5770 which is what I replaced my 8800 with, slight more expensive than your chosen card, however it is a cracking budget card.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post

If it's already toast, it doesn't hurt to try! It actually works in some cases (But obviously not all, as a gpu can fail in any number of ways).

---------- Post added 2011-06-09 at 12:16 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    would suggest you look at a radeon 5770 which is what I replaced my 8800 with, slight more expensive than your chosen card, however it is a cracking budget card.
    Sure, but, he didn't want to buy an expensive one now, when he rebuilds both computers next year. I'd go with the previously mentioned ones.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nice. I hadn't seen the 5670. It's right around where I need. Think I'll go with the Asus one, even though they say it's a little loud, it's cheaper.

Thanks for the suggestions all.

Your old 8800 is way better than this 4xxx Radeon. Look for a Radeon HD 5770 (~90EUR) or Radeon HD 6850 (~120EUR) ...anything cheaper is not really better than your old card.

Quote Originally Posted by HadleyX View Post
    Your old 8800 is way better than this 4xxx Radeon. Look for a Radeon HD 5770 (~90EUR) or Radeon HD 6850 (~120EUR) ...anything cheaper is not really better than your old card.
    Anything is better than his wifes non-functioning GT 8800. And he doesn't want a good card, he wants a card to get her through for ~6months.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailthas View Post
    Nice. I hadn't seen the 5670. It's right around where I need. Think I'll go with the Asus one, even though they say it's a little loud, it's cheaper.

Thanks for the suggestions all.
    Though keep in mind a 512MB GDDR5 model is likely to perform noticably better than the 1GB DDR3 model. Faster memory > amount memory. If the difference is like $5 I'd go a GDDR5 version. But to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    Or else the 5570.
    Cheaper and better than the 4670.
    Incorrect.
    The 4670 is way better than the 5570.

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    Though keep in mind a 512MB GDDR5 model is likely to perform noticably better than the 1GB DDR3 model. Faster memory > amount memory. If the difference is like $5 I'd go a GDDR5 version. But to each his own.
    Very true.
    I would pick the GDDR5 over the DDR3 one even if it had less memory.
    Its atleast twice as fast.