Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why isn't there LAN for SC2?

Really thought about buying this game when I get my paycheque at the end of this month. But just read their is no LAN, which was going to one of the main reasons I was going to buy this; other friends have expressed interest in the game. So can anybody in the know explain why there isn't a LAN and why blizzard aren't implementing it?
    1/3 GM of Valar Morghulis Horde Torrent Mill EU

Afaik you don't need lan because you can choose your opponents. = invite your friends and play with them online

i dont understand this as well. i often go to lan parties of my friends - however internet there is incredibly slow ... we were always playing per LAN. simply annoying. also the latency is in the range of 500-800 ms. not so problematic for RTSG, but a killer for FPS

LAN makes it much easier to have cracked unofficial versions.
    Who is Chris Metzen? He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Zarhym tell it, anybody could have worked for Metzen. You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that... poof! He's gone.

Why do you think? Anti-piracy of course...

Also: Zwergel, internet is only slow if you have slow internet, the internet itself is pure speed (5 ms here)
    Originally Posted by Bashiok (Blue Tracker)
    Psshhh. Like I would actually bother reading a thread.

I don't have SC 2 so I don't know the answer to this but maybe someone does. Some games that require you to log into an online service to actually set up a game will then actually run the game in a lan mode assuming everyone playing is on the lan together, in order to improve performance. Just wondering if SC 2 works this way.

Why you need LAN when you can invite your friends and play with them or against them?

It would be a useless feature.

Blizz said on the blizzcom (when they announced the game) that you would NEED internet to play the game because the of the all battle net thing. SO if you need internet to play it and be loged on to battle net you will be connected to everyone.

And the plus from this is you can't play with others if the game isn't original.

Dreamhack?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elween View Post
    Why you need LAN when you can invite your friends and play with them or against them?

It would be a useless feature.

Blizz said on the blizzcom (when they announced the game) that you would NEED internet to play the game because the of the all battle net thing. SO if you need internet to play it and be loged on to battle net you will be connected to everyone.

And the plus from this is you can't play with others if the game isn't original.
    What about tournaments and stuff? If anybody else recalls MW2 was dropped by MLG because it didn't have proper LAN. wouldn't that be the same for SC too?
    1/3 GM of Valar Morghulis Horde Torrent Mill EU

Piracy.

There, just answered the thread.

And MLG dropping SC2 will not happen in a long time, it's by far their biggest game right now.

love the avatar, Xacez
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Deleted
    What about tournaments and stuff? If anybody else recalls MW2 was dropped by MLG because it didn't have proper LAN. wouldn't that be the same for SC too?
    I see great difference between class of Progaming on StarCraft platform and Modern Warfare.

Removing LAN were good decision from the side of Blizzard. And don't have any perturbations about tournaments, because of Tournament-only version, that I heard, exist in Korea.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptoos View Post
    And don't have any perturbations about tournaments, because of Tournament-only version, that I heard, exist in Korea.
    Why would they only have it in Korea when they're trying to improve the progaming aspect of it here?

The Tournament Only version doesn't exist yet sadly.

Because Blizzards only wants MONEY, MONEY AND MORE MONEY!

Quote Originally Posted by SpacedOut View Post
    LAN makes it much easier to have cracked unofficial versions.
    Pretty much this, But Lan is very nice becuase say you go to a lan party, you dont need to hook every single person in the lan up to the internet just to play with ur homies, you can actually Lan, I cant tell you the amount of times when i was in the army where we just lanned SC1. Removing it was stupid, What they did to Hosting custom maps was stupid and IMO killed most of the custom map community for SC2.

Deleted
    The one thing I miss with LAN-option is to play with a friend who dont own the game. Back in the WC2 days you could play 3 people with 1 cd and so on up to 8 players with 3 cds. Now if I wanna pwn my homies in SC2 they have to buy it first, and I liked the WC2 way better. Then I could LAN and introduce the game to friends which would later buy the game because they liked it.

There is, Dreamhack, Blizzard Invitational and Blizzcon.

iSeries in the UK
    MLG and WCG (Could be wrong)

Thats a fair few LAN's the game is played at.

EDIT: OH nevermind i thought you meant actual LAN tournaments.

Hmm use Hamachi, or something like that and you can "LAN" it.

Quote Originally Posted by rzy View Post
    There is, Dreamhack, Blizzard Invitational and Blizzcon.

iSeries in the UK
    MLG and WCG (Could be wrong)

Thats a fair few LAN's the game is played at.

EDIT: OH nevermind i thought you meant actual LAN tournaments.

Hmm use Hamachi, or something like that and you can "LAN" it.
    You cant. No one successfully emulated the new battle.net yet, so people pretty much screwed if they dont have accessible Internet connection.

On the game performance ground, however, if you are physically LAN-ed your game will be quite smooth. Its because connection between players in SC2 are direct p2p, hence the separated regions in the first place.

Deleted
    Lan will probably be included in the last expansion when blizzard has fully milked this cow all the way

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Romulan1993 View Post
    Really thought about buying this game when I get my paycheque at the end of this month. But just read their is no LAN, which was going to one of the main reasons I was going to buy this; other friends have expressed interest in the game. So can anybody in the know explain why there isn't a LAN and why blizzard aren't implementing it?
    Copy-protection, mostly. Putting a need on being connected to battle.net ensures you don't actually need any copy protection. You can still choose who you play with, you just need to be connected to the internet to do so. And a LAN without internet is a rubbish LAN.