The Witcher 2's combat.

Hey guys, does anyone have any tips for combat in the Witcher 2? I can max out the graphics in this game, it looks amazing, and I really want to play and enjoy it. But the combat is shit (or so it seems). I flail about randomly like a fucking retard while five enemies surround me and cut me down. Recovery from ridiculous over reaching attacks takes far too long. I can semi aim at the person I want to attack with a quick nudge of a direction key but I still get surrounded, end up attacking the wrong guy as my enemies manoeuvre about me and generally just have a very hard time of it.

The problems are mostly facing multiple enemies, three is tricky, but four or more is a complete ball ache. I've not even finished the starter missions (where you recount things in the dungeon) its just so frustrating. Any tips?

I roll... a lot. A ton. I roll a ton. Before really ramping up your skills, get used to a quick smack, then a roll. Quen, smack, roll. Only heavy attack if you have nobody right on you, and if they don't have a shield. Then roll and smack again.

15+ Year Old Account
    All I can say is... Quen is a gift from the gods, as is Yrden.

Spec into improved Quen as early on as you can, reflects damage, lasts ages.

And also, bosses, dodge and click once, dodge and click once.

If you can't get past the first part on normal, I suggest putting the game on easy, where they don't parry, or dodge, you can just chain stunlock them with sword attacks.

Deleted
    Funny enough the prologue chapter was probably the hardest (combat wise).

However as said above, you have to roll a lot and NEVER get into the middle of a group as you die quite fast. Use your Signs, use your bombs etc. and you should be fine. Quen is almost overpowered, especially when you put talents in it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just use the shield sign(can't remember what it's called) and you can just kill each enemy one by one while ignoring the others.

The combat in the Prologue was awesome, even as low as on normal. I was disappoint after that. :|
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    The combat in the Prologue was awesome, even as low as on normal. I was disappoint after that. :|
    such as the case of many games now a days, the demo level is the most worked on.
    really could use a tutorial level, spending 30min+ reading, rereading , re-rereading the journal is as about at fun as doing taxes, and just as critical.
    never thought I'd say this, but i miss GoW's tutorial level.
    Last edited by mordale; 2011-06-09 at 07:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah when I picked up this game, I got DESTROYED over and over. The key is to not get frustrated, and at the very worst, combat will be very easy for you by Act 2. Like others have said, Quen and rolling are your best friends, and the Yrden can be quite helpful as well. Get that T1 sword talent that increases your rolling distance... you will be very pleased with the results.

While I'm sure others may disagree with me, don't use parry. If you are using rolls to the best of their potential, you'll have no need to waste a vigor just so you can block an attack you could have avoided.

Use power attacks on heavily armored enemies and quick attacks on the lighter ones. Use roll for more than just defensive purposes... use it to get behind an enemy; you'll be able to get in at least an extra attack that would have otherwise been parried if you were standing in front of the enemy.

You won't need them after the first Act, but don't be afraid to use pussy tactics and throw bombs and run away to kill off a pack. A couple of the hardest fights in the game are a large pack of drowners and an exceptionally massive pack of neckers. Bombs do a lot of damage and (at least the ones you can make from the start of the game) stun.

All that said, a typical fight for me starts with me turning on Quen and rolling towards my first target. Always take out the squishiest and weakest enemies first. They may do bad damage, but if you get swarmed, you won't be able to roll away and will get backstabbed by something potentially a lot worse than that bandit with a short sword. If you want to be safe, just run away when your Quen drops and kite until you have 2 or 3 vigor back up and recast it. I prefer to let my vigor recharge to max before I reapply a Quen as long as I know it's safe to wait. A lot of people forget about potions, or just don't use them because they take a long time to apply. I say use them if you have a big fight coming up. And whetstones... they give either 20 or 30% increased sword damage for 10 mins. Use these things, the difficulty of some fights is easily lifted if you are properly buffed up first.

I rarely used Quen to be honest, I hated the fact my vigor regen stopped while using it.

Rolling is great, and you'll do this a lot.
    Yrden to trap things is also amazing whether to hit things or to avoid the hits.
    Aard is just full of win and gets better once you have the AoE version. Knock back => roll towards them and if you're lucky or good at timing you can 1 shot them.

Don't forget to use bombs if you got some on you, stuns or damaging moves are always a great asset versus multiple targets.
    It's the internet. You never know if people are either sarcastic or just bad.

anybody enjoys the combat in the game ?? i'm not talking about how hard / easy it is... do you like it ?

I've played through the intro and i'm a little sceptical about if i want to continue, combat seems a bit clunky imo... maybe it's just not my kinda game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Highangel View Post
    anybody enjoys the combat in the game ?? i'm not talking about how hard / easy it is... do you like it ?

I've played through the intro and i'm a little sceptical about if i want to continue, combat seems a bit clunky imo... maybe it's just not my kinda game.
    You'll get over it the more you play. When I started I was just thinking to myself, "Wow, I paid 40 bucks for this? The enemies are so cheap and annoying to fight!" The more I played, the less I thought this. Now I think the combat is very smooth and entertaining, now that I'm not trying to go all Assassins Creed in every pack of mobs.

Deleted
    the big issue with the witcher 2 for most players is that you can't just run into a bunch and swing wildly, because you WILL die.

that being said, go for the sign tree and pick up improved aard and improved quen and you should be able to aoe-stun and have a really nice shield on you ontop of that. just use big attacks when they're all stunned

Firstly, the prologue SUCKS. I think Geralt and Triss partied half the night, got drunk, got high on X, then fucked for the second half of the night. Which is why Geralt in prologue is made of PAPER and hits like a little girl. He's probably hung over. Save the part with the dragon for last, because it's the hardest point in the prologue, and other parts give you a chance to practice combat and movement.

Secondly of all, make sure that you are getting good (not just "decent") framerate. I set my settings to "Ultra" on my first playthrough, and the framerate sucked "just a little bit". I thought to myself, whatever, I can deal. But it impacts the combat quite badly. I turned off Ubersampling, and combat instantly became manageable.

Thirdly, learn to duck and roll. You'll notice that most guys you face in combat are armored slow dudes. They plod towards you and hit you HARD. You are a guy in leather armor, of course if you get hit, it'll hurt. So don't get hit. You need to roll a lot because unlike blocking, it's free. Every block costs 1 pip of endurance.

Fourthly, bombs are your friends. For each prologue episode, you get 5 stun bombs. Use them. They even do damage sometimes.

Fifthly, Axii sign rocks. It makes your enemies fight each other. In Witcher 1, you started each fight with Aard or Igni. In Witcher 2, you always lead with Axii.

Sixly, forget Igni until you upgrade it; it sucks and is only good for doing a little additional damage to heavily armored guys. Don't overuse Aard early on. Aard isn't an autostun like it used to be. In most cases it just knocks one guy away, and you actually spend MORE TIME getting to him to beat him.

Sevenly (is that a word?) don't get frustrated and remember that Witcher fights work a lot like real world fights. In real world if someone hacks you with a big fuck-off sword, you will be very very hurt. If you run into a pack of enemies head-on, they'll just curb-stomp you. If you are fighting a guy with a shield, hitting the shield won't do jack shit, even if the guy is kneeling on the ground; circle him and hit him in his sword arm.

Finally, all DLC was included in the latest patch. This means that you get a very decent starting armor, pants that give you bonus to magic and gloves that give you bonus to herbing. Not to mention whetstones and oils, which make your swords a lot better.
    "The Patient? Well... maybe... the mental kind..."

Few tips:

- the Prologue has actually some of the toughest fights in the game, it'll get easier and more fun later
    - Quen is overpowered as hell, makes you near invulnerable if you keep it up
    - You can only parry with vigor (the same thing you use for your signs)
    - Bombs are extremely useful against groups of enemys
    - Don't get hit from behind, you'll take 200% (i think) more damage
    - Enemys are stupid as hell, you can roll around them all day and they won't be able to hit you