Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I saw a documentary ages ago about the Mayan calender - when it ended it just basically meant they moved from one age to the next. Also, over time their calender's got out of whack with the dates, so they 'reset' it at the end of the age. There's just not another calender for them after this one because they aren't around anymore. Which seems more realistic, to me anywho.

People just assumed that meant we'd all be dying from some major earthshattering event by then.

My partner is really into this kind of stuff, and watches a lot of 'documentaries' about the Mayans and Nibiru and all these things that are apparently going to wipe us all out in the next 100 years.

Deleted
    this reminds me of a joke board in a belgian comic from about 2 decades back.. the jehova witnesses come by holding a sign with "the world will end in 1967 1977 1987 1988 1989 1990. repent now!". i'll see if i can find it again.

edit: i can't find it right away, but if someone owns "Urbanus tegen de dikkenekken", he'll know what i'm talking about.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Who cares? humanity will have killed itself long before the "end of the world" anyway

10+ Year Old Account
    Our sun is supposed to implode on us in a few billion years or so...so there's that but if we are still around in a few billion years I'm pretty sure we'd be able to handle it rofl

If you look into it, you are going to get countless texts on that matter.

However, those things are aimed at believers. Since I am not, it is all a whole lot of lies from people who were just trying to to be some sort of existentialists.

My friend went to Mexico and visited the Mayan places and had a tour, They said once 12/21/2012 comes. The calender starts over. Just like December to January.....

Quote Originally Posted by Omoidaseba View Post
    Yes, the bible, but if we believe those texts is another story.
    I am no man of faith myself. But the bible actually can be useful. While not 100% accurate it has actually helped historians pinpoint dates of various events. They just have to treat a lot of things like a metaphor. Like they actually believe Sodom and Gamora were destroyed by an asteroid that blew up in the atmosphere and have pinpointed the time it happened.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by palpableimmunity View Post
    Doomsayers have predicted the end of all for years now, but are there any actually recorded dates as to when the world will go boom?
    Of course there is a date 12/21/2012, What do you live under a ROCK !!!!

Deleted
    Also: the bible doesn't predict the end of the world before 2018, unless someone's ruling the world alone atm. (which conspiracy theory ppl think will happen soon)

No. The mayans couldn't predict their own end. Why would anyone assume they could have predicted ours.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by astrochicken View Post
    No. The mayans couldn't predict their own end. Why would anyone assume they could have predicted ours.
    just because you can't find your cellphone doesn't mean that you can't find your car keys.

Quote Originally Posted by hayharut View Post
    "The sun has set on this mortal world. Make peace with your end, for the hour of Twilight falls!"
    -Deathwing
    I lol'd.

OT : I think that it was proven that when the sun will collapse there will be a massive black hole at it sucking us all in and we'll all die.
    unless ofc we won't live on earth anymore

Also, for those talking about the sun. In 5 billion years the sun is going to swell to a red giant as starts to burn helium, eventually the outer layers will drift off into space creating a nebula leaving behind a white dwarf that tries to burn carbon and eventually it will become, in theory, a black dwarf. Then roughly around 10 billion years after that is when the "big rip" is supposed to happen. Which is supposed to be how the universe is destroyed. So unless you are immortal and can survive the hazards of space, there is nothing to sorry about.

---------- Post added 2011-06-09 at 02:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by yigaltheking View Post
    I lol'd.

OT : I think that it was proven that when the sun will collapse there will be a massive black hole at it sucking us all in and we'll all die.
    unless ofc we won't live on earth anymore
    No, the sun is far too small to create a black hole. If our sun is one solar mass it takes a star with a solar mass of 10 to create a black hole. We will be swallowed up by the suns outer layers eventually though.

So far all doomsayers have been wrong...

Iirc, the Mayans said that we are, right now, in the 3rd or 4th "Earth-Cycle". [They didn't call it that, btw.]
    There have previously been 2 or 3 cycles, which "The Gods" used to test whether the Earth has developed satisfyingly.
    After those 5000-and-some years were over, "The Gods" decided whether the Earth was to their liking, or whether they would "reset" the whole thing and start anew.
    Previously, they always started again from scratch, each time after the exact same amount of years.

Thus, the Mayans said that the Earth would be tested again sometime in December 2012[it's not actually confirmed that it's 21st, btw.], at which point it would be decided whether the Earth continues or not.

BTW: Belief in 2012 stands in direct contrast to believing in what the Bible teaches. Just saying. :P

Well there's several sources that point to 2012 being the end. Not only the ancient Mayans but the Hindu, Chinese, Hopi and many more.
    There's also a prediction from Nostradamus that the third antichrist is amongst us now and will bring world wide destruction if not the end to humanity. The previous two have been deciphered as Napoleon being the first and Hitler being the second. This is also meant to come to light sometime during 2012.
    This coming from Nostradamus makes me believe it slightly more!
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Naytebeg View Post
    Well there's several sources that point to 2012 being the end. Not only the ancient Mayans but the Hindu, Chinese, Hopi and many more.
    There's also a prediction from Nostradamus that the third antichrist is amongst us now and will bring world wide destruction if not the end to humanity. The previous two have been deciphered as Napoleon being the first and Hitler being the second. This is also meant to come to light sometime during 2012.
    This coming from Nostradamus makes me believe it slightly more!
    That's not from Nostradamus, that's from interpretations of what Nostradamus said. Similar to how most of the stuff said to be in the Bible is bullocks. [Hi there, Rapture.]

Pretty sure it's similar for that whole Hindu, Chinese and Hopi stuff. At some point in some kind of religious book or the like, someone referenced something that could be interpreted as the year 2012.
    Suddenly, it marks the end of the world.

Goddamnit, you could almost think the stupidity of believing Scientologists suddenly started spreading over to other religions.

10+ Year Old Account
    A few billion years from now when the sun ends his business.

I'm about to rage so hard

Deleted
    recorded dates as to when the world will go boom
    <snark> Think about that clause for a second. </snark>