Page 1 of 2
LastLast

CPU Advice, Need Feedback

I currently have a Intel Pentium D 945 (4M Cache, 3.40 GHz, 800 MHz FSB) , and am thinking about upgrading to a Intel Duo 2 4700 (2.6 GHz, 2M L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB). Want to know if its a Noticeable upgrade.

Also side question, im about to upgrade my GPU 8500gt -> 9800gt (PCI Express). Also want to know if its a noticeable upgrade. Thx

15+ Year Old Account
    Caught by the moderation queue. Free bump!

10+ Year Old Account
    You're upgrading from out of date parts to more out of date parts. I'd consider saving up for a new system all together. You'll notice an increase in performance, but 10% at the most.

Its a backup computer, and the upgrades happen to be very cheap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sythir View Post
    Its a backup computer, and the upgrades happen to be very cheap.
    10% increase maximum. If you're okay spending the money, then go for it. I wouldn't, however.

10+ Year Old Account
    define cheap that video card starts at 55$ which is ok and the processor is around 100$ which does seem quite a bit for a proc that is 3 generations out of date
    (source pricewatch)
    Last edited by lockblock; 2011-06-10 at 01:31 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Noticeable upgrade for what? If you're using it for any kind of gaming then the performance upgrade will be pathetic.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Currently running at 60 FPS (On High settings, with shadows turned down) average with my current CPU/GPU (Running wow), Dont see hows that's pathetic. Figured that upgrades would atleast push it a bit, but far from pathetic.

Currently running at 60 FPS (On High settings, with shadows turned down) average with my current CPU/GPU (Running wow), Dont see hows that's pathetic. Figured that upgrades would atleast push it a bit, but far from pathetic.
    Running where at 60fps?... my old 8500gt could run at 60fps in the middle of no where also

On what resolution? Just saying that you run that you can get 60FPS steady is the same as me saying I have a steady 800FPS in CSS, while it's 290FPS @1920x1200

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I had that same cpu and a 9800gt and was lucky to see 60 in medium settings, where are you hitting 60 on high, facing a wall?

edit: lols
    Last edited by Sephiracle; 2011-06-10 at 06:51 PM. Reason: lulz from multiple posters
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Stormwind and Raid Idle im usually around 58-65 FPS, Raid Combat im around 25-30 FPS. I haven't upgraded anything yet, so im still with the 8500GT and the Pentium D 945. I also run with quite a bit of addons.

Deleted
    The GPU 8500 to 9800 is a massive upgrade - even if old and out of date as others have said, more than double the amount of shaders with higher clocks, DDR3 connected to a wider memory bus, it's win win.

In terms of cpu, not sure you will see much difference, it's a newer architecture, but lower clocks and cache on the same FSB - if I recall core2 was built to be 30% quicker than the outgoing P4, but your clocks negate that effect - but it will run cooler and use less power.

Stormwind and Raid Idle im usually around 58-65 FPS, Raid Combat im around 25-30 FPS. I haven't upgraded anything yet, so im still with the 8500GT and the Pentium D 945. I also run with quite a bit of addons.
    Do you actually have any idea of how much resolution matters in terms of FPS?
    1024x768=786,432
    1920x1080=2,073,600
    Which is 2.64x increase in the amount of pixels that need to be drawn on screen.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mal'ganis Stormwind? Because if so there's no one there. And what is it running during combat, idle doesn't mean anything.

Resolution?
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Quote Originally Posted by Korchinks View Post
    The GPU 8500 to 9800 is a massive upgrade - even if old and out of date as others have said, more than double the amount of shaders with higher clocks, DDR3 connected to a wider memory bus, it's win win.

In terms of cpu, not sure you will see much difference, it's a newer architecture, but lower clocks and cache on the same FSB - if I recall core2 was built to be 30% quicker than the outgoing P4, but your clocks negate that effect - but it will run cooler and use less power.
    Thank you very much

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    10% increase maximum. If you're okay spending the money, then go for it. I wouldn't, however.
    Going from Pentium D (netburst whatever) to a C2D could hardly translate to just a 10% increase.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you very much
    Way to pick out the single person that says do it, and ignore everyone that says don't.

As i said before its a backup computer, i don't use it often.

Resolution is 1920x1080, last time i hooked it up.

(Its the monitor i use for my main pc)

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you want a good and cheap processor I'd honestly go with the Intel core duo E8400. With a stock cooler it can easily be overclocked to 3.6 without having to need a better fan to compensate for the heat.