Deleted

Will a better graphicscard make Fraps run smoother?

Hey I plan on recording wow boss fights (25man) and use Fraps for nice quality.
    Atm I can run at about 30 fps on Good (shadows on low) settnings in raids.
    If I want smoother gameplay should I get a better processor (Using AMDII X4 atm) or a new graphics card (using ATI HD5850 1gb atm)?

Also I have 8gb RAM (@ 1333).

Ty alot for help!<3

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want smoother recording, get another hard drive and record to that HDD.
    You're probably saturating your R/W of your HDD by recording, and losing quality.
    You could probably use a new graphics card though.
    If you have a phenom II x4, you're fine on processor power. And RAM won't make a difference.

Edit: Woosh, beat everyone. x3

There's quite a few x4 processors, which do you have?

Id suggest testing a few other recording programs before u invest in replacing something in your computer first when it could be un-needed, try search for a few free recording programs such as camtasia and hypercam, i also found recording using Xfire was really really nice quality for what is it, and could simply open in the video directory and have my videos on max settings with no lagg at all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyx View Post
    There's quite a few x4 processors, which do you have?
    955 black edition

---------- Post added 2011-06-10 at 04:01 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    If you want smoother recording, get another hard drive and record to that HDD.
    You're probably saturating your R/W of your HDD by recording, and losing quality.
    You could probably use a new graphics card though.
    If you have a phenom II x4, you're fine on processor power. And RAM won't make a difference.

Edit: Woosh, beat everyone. x3
    I have another harddrive to record to , a 2TB (5400 rpm D: ) one that I use only for fraps and downloads!

---------- Post added 2011-06-10 at 04:02 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Laid eh View Post
    Id suggest testing a few other recording programs before u invest in replacing something in your computer first when it could be un-needed, try search for a few free recording programs such as camtasia and hypercam, i also found recording using Xfire was really really nice quality for what is it, and could simply open in the video directory and have my videos on max settings with no lagg at all.
    Yeah but Fraps has such awesome quality to it so I want to stick to that really!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by baounii View Post
    955 black edition

---------- Post added 2011-06-10 at 04:01 AM ----------

I have another harddrive to record to , a 2TB (5400 rpm D: ) one that I use only for fraps and downloads!
    You should be okay. 7,200 would be ideal, but the Black Edition PII x4 processor means you'll be okay, and just recording to another HDD alleviates a lot of the load. You should be fine to record right now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    You should be okay. 7,200 would be ideal, but the Black Edition PII x4 processor means you'll be okay, and just recording to another HDD alleviates a lot of the load. You should be fine to record right now.
    But if I am not getting 60fps with fraps in25 man raids, what is the bottleneck in the system? I tried my 5400 drive earlier today in stormwind and it recorded the same as on my 7200 disc,, the good thing with my 5400 one is that it's 2TB so I can fraps alot!

10+ Year Old Account
    CPU raises your minimum framerate, GPU raises your maximum.

CPU is likely your bottleneck in wow (although maybe not on max settings, you're getting frame lag on lower settings though which I'm pretty certain isn't your graphics card). Your graphics card is superior to your CPU. Of course getting a good processor means ditching AMD completely, so you may be SOL on that end unless you feel like replacing your mother board as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by graagh View Post
    CPU is likely your bottleneck in wow (although maybe not on max settings, you're getting frame lag on lower settings though which I'm pretty certain isn't your graphics card). Your graphics card is superior to your CPU. Of course getting a good processor means ditching AMD completely, so you may be SOL on that end unless you feel like replacing your mother board as well.
    I've heard the i7's are great for wow, but yeah if that involves changing motherboard it might become awfully expensive.. how much would a motherboard cost you reckon? (ask for what info you need to determine that cause I'm very bad at technical computer stuff)

10+ Year Old Account
    But if I am not getting 60fps with fraps in25 man raids, what is the bottleneck in the system? I tried my 5400 drive earlier today in stormwind and it recorded the same as on my 7200 disc,, the good thing with my 5400 one is that it's 2TB so I can fraps alot!
    HD5850 is more than good enough, your CPU is easily your bottleneck there as far as raid FPS goes. An i5 2500k + P67/Z68 mobo will fix that :P

I've heard the i7's are great for wow, but yeah if that involves changing motherboard it might become awfully expensive.. how much would a motherboard cost you reckon? (ask for what info you need to determine that cause I'm very bad at technical computer stuff)
    Where'd you hear that? i7's provide Hyperthreading over i5's and WoW makes zero use of that. An i5 2500k is essentially the best (and cost-effective) gaming CPU available in the market today.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-06-10 at 03:30 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    Okay.. one thing I've understood is that peices just don't fit just like that in computers so.. if I got a new motherboard and an INTEL processor.. would it be compatible with my other parts? (4x2gb RAM,,,, ATI hd 5850 card)?
    Again I don't know jack, ty for all help!

---------- Post added 2011-06-10 at 06:51 AM ----------

Where'd you hear that? i7's provide Hyperthreading over i5's and WoW makes zero use of that. An i5 2500k is essentially the best (and cost-effective) gaming CPU available in the market today.[/QUOTE]

Someone from ensidia wrote it a while ago.

Okay.. one thing I've understood is that peices just don't fit just like that in computers so.. if I got a new motherboard and an INTEL processor.. would it be compatible with my other parts? (4x2gb RAM,,,, ATI hd 5850 card)?
    Again I don't know jack, ty for all help![COLOR="red"]

---------- Post added 2011-06-10 at 06:51 AM ----------

Your existing parts should work just fine assuming you have DDR3 RAM. An i5-2500K, a decent motherboard, and a heat sink to overclock it will run you ~$400, maybe a bit less, but I overbudget slightly on stuff like that.

5400RPM hard drive for recording? What resolution are you recording on, and is it full or half size? I have a dedicated freshly formatted 7200RPM WD Caviar Black I use for recording, might add a second in RAID 0 soon because 1920x1200 absolutely eats hard drive write speeds.
    Super casual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Again I don't know jack, ty for all help![COLOR="red"]
    Hehe that's a common misconception, it's nothing like that. The only thing that needs to match is the Motherboard and CPU since the socket-type needs to match. The graphics card, RAM, etc can be whatever brand you want it to be and it will work fine. AMD and nVidia's cards will work on any motherboard that supports a graphics card
    But obviously you don't want to be plugging DDR2 ram into DDR3 slots >_>

Well believe us over Ensidia :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Hehe that's a common misconception, it's nothing like that. The only thing that needs to match is the Motherboard and CPU since the socket-type needs to match. The graphics card, RAM, etc can be whatever brand you want it to be and it will work fine. AMD and nVidia's cards will work on any motherboard that supports a graphics card
    But obviously you don't want to be plugging DDR2 ram into DDR3 slots >_>

Well believe us over Ensidia :P
    Cool, might very well look into one of those i5 2500k .. I saw you have one and I wonder; are fans for the processor included, and are they loud? My current fan for processor is VERY loud!
    Last edited by mmocc070457d24; 2011-06-10 at 06:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cool, might very well look into one of those i5 2500k .. I saw you have one and I wonder; are fans for the processor included, and are they loud? My current fan for processor is VERY loud!
    Yes the stock heatsink+fan is included. AMD heatsinks (especially the older ones) are known to get notoriously loud under stress so I know what you mean but the i5 2500k's heatsink should be quiet...enough.

Here's the thing - the i5 comes in a 2500 "normal" version and a 2500K "unlocked" version, which is aimed at overclocking. So if you want to stay away from OC'ing, might as well save a few bucks and get the non-K version and stick with the included heatsink.
    If you ARE oc'ing (and they OC so damn easily) then grab a 2500K + a $30 aftermarket heatsink like Hyper 212+ or Arctic Freezer series.

You made a good investment with the HD5850, it will last you a quite while longer for WoW/MMORPG purposes and even some heavier gaming
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-06-10 at 06:57 AM.

I have another harddrive to record to , a 2TB (5400 rpm D: ) one that I use only for fraps and downloads! [COLOR="red"]
    If you're trying to record 1920x1080 at 30+ fps the HDD is definitely one of the limiting factors, it's just too slow to write at the speed required.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    If you're trying to record 1920x1080 at 30+ fps the HDD is definitely one of the limiting factors, it's just too slow to write at the speed required.
    1680x1050 And it worked out licely earlier today when I frapsed some random stuff in Stormwind!