Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

New high end system

Hello everyone,

I'm putting together my first desktop computer since 2007, I've been a laptop user ever since then but now finally have the opportunity to have a stationary rig once again (as I'm not moving around anymore).

I realize I'm not as savvy on parts as I once were, but after some research and review reading I've put together a setup I think should do nicely. My budget is quite high, althought I don't really have an upper limit right now I do try to not go overboard. I won't write what the parts will cost me, just which parts I think are most reasonable.
    My requirements for the system is it should be able to run the latest games at max settings and be good for video/photo editing and rendering (Adobe, 3dsmax).
    For the record, my display is a 24" monitor running at 1920x1200@60hz. Possibly looking to extend this to a dual monitor setup.

Any feedback is appreciated, I'm very open to suggestions on how to improve my setup before I order it. Thank you for your time.

Graphics card
    ASUS GeForce GTX 580 1536MB PhysX CUDA PCI-Express 2.0, "DirectCU II", GDDR5, 2xDVI, native-HDMI, DisplayPort
    Link: http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/N...II2DIS1536MD5/

Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe B3, Socket-1155 ATX, P67, DDR3, 3xPCIe(2.0)x16, CFX& SLI, SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3.0, FW, BT, EFI
    Link: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Int.../P8P67_DELUXE/

Powersupply
    Corsair AX 850W PSU ATX 12V V2.31, 80 Plus Gold, Modular, 4x 6+2-pin PCIe, 12x SATA
    Link: http://www.corsair.com/power-supplie...d-2/ax850.html
    Comment: I've always believed that having enough headroom for future upgrades is a good thing, but an 850w PSU is perhaps overkill for a single GPU setup?

Memory
    Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600MHz 8GB CL8 Kit w/4x 2GB XMS3 modules, CL8-8-8-24, 1.5V, support for AMD Phenom II memory profiles, 240pin
    Link: http://www.corsair.com/dominator-wit...m2b1600c8.html
    Comment: The "support for AMD Phenom II memory profiles" bugs me, but I see no reason these modules should not be compatible with an Intel platform..? Also I've chosen 1600 MHz CL8 modules instead of 1866 MHz CL9 modules because they are cheaper and performs at about the same level (Source).

Case
    Fractal Design Define XL Black Pearl Fans: 1x 140mm Front, 1x 180mm Top, 1x 140mm Rear, Noiseabsorbant isolation, mATX, ATX
    Link: http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=...gory=2&prod=54

CPU
    Intel Core™ i7 Quad Processor i7-2600K 3,4GHz, Socket LGA1155, 8MB, Boxed
    Link: http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=52214

CPU Cooler
    Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler Socket 775/1155/1156/1366, AM2/AM2+/AM3, 1300 RPM, 110,3 m³/h, 19,8 dBA
    Link: http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=p...products_id=34
    Comment: I'm aware this cooler is very large, and might provide problems with fitting the Dominator memory modules. However, the heatsinks on these can be removed to accomodate the CPU cooler. Question is, will the memory modules still be healthy without their heatsinks? (Not planning to overcock the memory).

Storage Disk
    Western Digital Caviar® Green™ 2TB SATA 3Gb/sec, RPM = IntelliPower, 64MB
    Link: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=120

OS Disk
    Kingston SSDNow V+100 256GB
    Link: http://www.kingston.com/ukroot/ssd/vplus100.asp
    (note; this one I'm scavenging from my current laptop, so it's not changeable).

I've not included mundane things such as DVD/BluRay-ROM drive, Card Readers, etc.

Again, thanks for reading

Impetus Norvegicus
    Norwegian Empire Community
    Søker etter flere norsktalende spillere
    Guild forum | Guild HQ

Deleted
    I just saw your comment about 3DS Max, so go for the i7 2600k. I should l2read ^^

Oh, and those RAM modules will only fit if you remove the upper part of the HS: http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=f...d=34&lng=en#14

And if you got the cash, go for 2x 1TB disks instead of 1x 2TB. And really, go for the black edition(s).
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-06-10 at 11:23 AM.

It looks like a pretty solid build. The GTX 580 should be able to handle two screens without any trouble. Regarding your CPU cooler though. How much are you planning on overclocking? Because the DH14 seems like abit of overkill if you're not planning to do extremely high overclocking. If you're just planning to go with a 4.0 - 4.3 GHz clock, then a Coolermaster Hyper 121+ should be able to handle perfectly fine, and it'll save you a couple of bucks.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    As I recall, there is almost no difference between the i7 2600k and the i5 2500k in terms of gaming. Unless you are planning to do heavy 3D or video editing, go for the i5 2500k.

Oh, and those RAM modules will only fit if you remove the upper part of the HS: http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=f...d=34&lng=en#14

And if you got the cash, go for 2x 1TB disks instead of 1x 2TB. And really, go for the black edition(s).
    OP said he would be doing video/photo editing and rendering, so the i7-2600K is a solid choice. The four extra HT cores speeds everything up when it comes to rendering. You're right when you say that there's no noticeable difference in gaming performance though, but considering that the OPs last computer was built in 2007, I s'pose that this build will also be used for a long time, which leaves the i7-2600K as a perfect choice for his needs.

Also, opting for two 1 TB caviar black for storage would be a tad silly. Specially if you are reccommending him to put them in RAID 0. That would imo be plain out stupid, considering that if one HDD breaks, all the data is lost. Going with two 1 TB HDDs in a RAID 5 could be an option though(iirc, that's when the two drives are mirrored. You'll get like 1½ TB storage, but if one breaks, you can just replace that one and all your data will remain intact. I'm not 100% sure though, so if someone knows more, please correct me), but a single Caviar Green 2 TB would be the cheapest solution without doing any overkill. You don't need a superfast HDD for storage, specially when you have an SSD for your main programs like OS, WoW and Photoshop.
    Last edited by Mestofiles; 2011-06-10 at 10:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kickass setup!
    Ok a few things, it's advisable not to get 4x2gb sticks and fill up all your slots. It's better to get 2x4gb so you have more breathing room around the sticks (and maybe expansion to 16gb, who knows).
    Also, you'll have to confirm with someone else here whether D14 can fit that Dominator sticks underneath it...removing the RAM heatsinks is not advisable even if you're not OC'ing. Have you tried looking into some shorter RAM like Kingston, G.Skill or Patriot? All on par with Corsair.
    Another option is to just ditch the D14 because it's monstrous triple-push-pull mechanics are simply not needed to cool a Sandy Bridge, it was made popular by people who were overclocking their first generation i7 900-series (or i5 700) CPU's.
    $30-50 coolers like Scythe Mugen 2 Rev.B and Hyper212+ are excellent coolers that give plenty of overclocking headroom while letting you use whatever RAM you like.

PSU is good enough to run two GTX580's so you're pretty well covered there but keep in mind that the particular GTX580 you're buying is will eat up THREE expansion slots, so SLI may not be an option later...or it could be, just a very tight fit (if you even plan on going there).

No more suggestions from me, you did your homework
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-06-10 at 10:26 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    I just saw your comment about 3DS Max, so go for the i7 2600k. I should l2read ^^

Well, looking at the MoBo it seems he is aiming for some serious OC. If not, you can definitely cut the bill by stepping down a notch on both the HS and the MoBo.

Looks like a nice setup take the advice some ppl told you up here.

Get 2x4Gb ram
    Get the dominator and if they don't fit just turn the nh-d14 . So the fans face down (Idk if that wil fit into a fractal design)
    Case: Well its oke but i rather spend abit more on a 600t or 932 for more space and airflow
    GPU: Well idk if you get problems with 2x3slot cards so rather get a msi twin frozr ii (which is a beast if it comes to cooling)
    The black blood of Yogg'saron causes through me! I AM UNSTOPPALBLE!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aminozuur View Post
    if they don't fit just turn the nh-d14 . So the fans face down (Idk if that wil fit into a fractal design)
    I've turned my Hyper212 to blow air upwards, but I don't think a D14 can be turned...it's just extends out way too long, it would touch the GPU (or it would be so close to the GPU backplate the D14 would suffocate).

edit: hmm, this guy's managed to do it:

but in this scenario it would never turn:
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-06-10 at 10:38 AM.

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's a solid build for your needs. I agree with what the others have said.

4gb sticks instead of 2gb. I'd go straight to 16gb personally. can multitask everything you need without worry.
    Go with black edition hard drives, sata 6gb/s as they have updated hardware and greatly improved seek times over the sata 3gb/s version.

Enjoy your beast!

Deleted
    Get the dominator and if they don't fit just turn the nh-d14 . So the fans face down (Idk if that wil fit into a fractal design)
    Im fairly certain that won't work. ppl With micro atx has to do that... yeah

http://www.corsair.com/cmx8gx3m4a1600c9.html/ I would say take these ram sticks. More room to improve in the future and those will fit for sure under the noctua.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mestofiles View Post
    Also, opting for two 1 TB caviar black for storage would be a tad silly. Specially if you are reccommending him to put them in RAID 0. That would imo be plain out stupid, considering that if one HDD breaks, all the data is lost. Going with two 1 TB HDDs in a RAID 5 could be an option though(iirc, that's when the two drives are mirrored. You'll get like 1½ TB storage, but if one breaks, you can just replace that one and all your data will remain intact. I'm not 100% sure though, so if someone knows more, please correct me), but a single Caviar Green 2 TB would be the cheapest solution without doing any overkill. You don't need a superfast HDD for storage, specially when you have an SSD for your main programs like OS, WoW and Photoshop.
    So if the one 2TB HDD breaks he will what..? Have his data secured?

The WD Black drives are faster and more reliable than the green ones. There really isn't an excuse to not go for those over the green ones, unless money is a factor (which doesn't seem to be the case for the OP).

And again:
    http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=f...d=34&lng=en#14

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Maybe I should edit my original post.

15+ Year Old Account
    Regarding the PSU:

The AX 750/850 will run under 20db at about 500W useage. So while it may be a bit overkill, its a good silent PSU if you are not using allot of power.

*Source: Corsair.com*

So if the rest of your system is somewhat silent, or if you are looking to find some quiet options for your system. Then an AX850/750 is worth it. Plus having a fully modular PSU helps on look and air flow. Wich again helps on cooling and noise levels.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

15+ Year Old Account
    Wow!! Amazing response, thank you so much

I have swapped the CPU cooler with a Noctua NH-C14 to allow for more room for the RAM modules so I do not have to remove the heatsinks.

The reason I have chose the memory I have is that I've read that Sandy Bridge is designed for 1.5v memory modules, although 1.65v modules should in most cases work fine, I have seen reports on burned out chipsets because of this. I might be a bit paranoid here though. To find 1600 MHz CL8 modules at 1.5v with higher capacity than 2 Gb has proven difficult in the webshop I have to use, but if it's no problem to use 1.65v modules I can perhaps use something like these 2000 MHz CL9-CL10 Corsair modules.
    However, regarding the motherboard supporting these, I might not be reading the product description right. Their site says it got support for "DDR3 2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.) [...]", which should cover it?

Impetus Norvegicus
    Guild forum | Guild HQ

Skip the motherboard stressing CPU heat sink... Unless you're overclocking, the heat sink that comes with the CPU is just fine. Even if you do overclock, the stock heatsink is overbuilt quite a bit (mine is on an auto setting and never goes above the lowest speed unless it's during boot (normal and goes full speed) or I'm maxing out the CPU and it goes a bit higher).

Also:
    -I tend to favor EVGA for nvidia products as they make nvidia's reference boards.
    -The Caviar Green drives are made for energy conservation, not performance.
    -Case is your preferance, but having a door over your front fans is really dumb to me...

15+ Year Old Account
    Looks like a nice setup take the advice some ppl told you up here.

Get 2x4Gb ram
    Case: Well its oke but i rather spend abit more on a 600t or 932 for more space and airflow
    GPU: Well idk if you get problems with 2x3slot cards so rather get a msi twin frozr ii (which is a beast if it comes to cooling)
    Will follow up on the 4 GB RAM modules, good point by everyone.

Switched the CPU cooler as stated in my post above, Dominator modules will fit now.

I really like the design of the Case, so will keep it!

Got no problems with the GPU taking 3x slots, I will not go for a multi GPU setup at any point. The reviews of the ASUS GTX 580 Directcu II has proven that it runs very cool and will allow for overclocking, so I don't see any reason to change it for the MSi solution.

Thanks for your response

---------- Post added 2011-06-10 at 11:47 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
    Skip the motherboard stressing CPU heat sink... Unless you're overclocking, the heat sink that comes with the CPU is just fine. Even if you do overclock, the stock heatsink is overbuilt quite a bit (mine is on an auto setting and never goes above the lowest speed unless it's during boot (normal and goes full speed) or I'm maxing out the CPU and it goes a bit higher).

Also:
    -I tend to favor EVGA for nvidia products as they make nvidia's reference boards.
    -The Caviar Green drives are made for energy conservation, not performance.
    -Case is your preferance, but having a door over your front fans is really dumb to me...
    I won't got with Intel's stock cooler, almost everyone who is into these things recommends a third party CPU cooler, even if it's just for reducing noise levels. I do plan to overclock the CPU somewhat, that's the fun part about getting a high end system!

I am also fond of the EVGA products, but right now I think the ASUS card I've picked out provides the best option for a GTX 580 choice.

The 2 TB drive is just for temporary storage, I have a fileserver (in my closet ^^) with redundant drives for storage of the important stuff.

Impetus Norvegicus
    Guild forum | Guild HQ

I honestly can't recommend those huge third party coolers, simply because of the failures I've seen from the stress they put on the motherboard. If the motherboard lays flat they're fine, but no way in hell I'd ever use one on my personal computer. I'd go water cooling first, and I REALLY dislike water cooling because of it's added complexity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mestofiles View Post
    It looks like a pretty solid build. The GTX 580 should be able to handle two screens without any trouble. Regarding your CPU cooler though. How much are you planning on overclocking? Because the DH14 seems like abit of overkill if you're not planning to do extremely high overclocking. If you're just planning to go with a 4.0 - 4.3 GHz clock, then a Coolermaster Hyper 121+ should be able to handle perfectly fine, and it'll save you a couple of bucks.

Edit:

OP said he would be doing video/photo editing and rendering, so the i7-2600K is a solid choice. The four extra HT cores speeds everything up when it comes to rendering. You're right when you say that there's no noticeable difference in gaming performance though, but considering that the OPs last computer was built in 2007, I s'pose that this build will also be used for a long time, which leaves the i7-2600K as a perfect choice for his needs.

RAID5 requires 3 drives minimum. You lose the capacity of one drive, whether you use 3 drives or 30. You can suffer one drive failure at a time. If a second drive fails before you rebuild the first failed one, you will have data loss.

RAID1 is mirroring. Two drives, you have the capacity of one. One fails, the other has a full copy of the data.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

10+ Year Old Account
    if you really need redundant mass storage get a drobo

http://www.drobo.com/

Deleted
    Modern MoBo's and cases are built to support third-party heatsinks. Settling with the stock cooler is just plain stupid if you plan to OC an i7 2600k. At least, that's my opinion and I think many will agree with me.

10+ Year Old Account
    There should be atleast 9 screws fastening the mobo to the case, and if you've done a good job of it all the mobo should feel almost as if it's part of the case.