win7 repair question

Hi,

today I cant boot my PC because something has been corrupted in the windows installation, so it BSODs everytime it gets to the screen with the windows logo (right after the BIOS screen).

I wanted to run a windows repair from the original disc, but unfortunately I lost my win7 home 64bit cd, but my friend has a wni7 pro 64bit cd.

So my question is:

Can i run a windows repair on a win7 HOME 64bit system with a win7 PRO 64bit disc?

Cheers in advance for any advice
    Omegasupreme - Memento Mori - Frostmane-EU wowprogress

Windows Pro and Ultimate are supersets of Home, so yes, they should be able to repair a Home install. Hopefully you kept your product key somewhere safe though, because it may ask for that info.

Quote Originally Posted by Squishy Tia View Post
    Windows Pro and Ultimate are supersets of Home, so yes, they should be able to repair a Home install. Hopefully you kept your product key somewhere safe though, because it may ask for that info.
    Hi, thanks for the reply, and yes I have my key still.

I have "win 7 home premium 64bit" installed (which i need to repair) but Ive got both an Ultimate and a Professional disc available to me. Should i prefer one over the other?

Deleted
    Yes, it's the same thing, basically. The Windows 7 repair CDs are useless anyway. The only thing you can on it is system restore, and if you don't have any restore points, you're out of luck.

I hope you have a restore point or 2, good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Exileos View Post
    Yes, it's the same thing, basically. The Windows 7 repair CDs are useless anyway. The only thing you can on it is system restore, and if you don't have any restore points, you're out of luck.

I hope you have a restore point or 2, good luck
    I dont have a restore point as the system is quite new (but still /palm), but since its just a part of the installation thats corrupted, shouldnt the repair function work?

Otherwise, when you do a new installation, what data does it store in the windows.old file? And does a fresh installation "only" clear desktop/my documents/pics etc. or do I lose everything on my HDD (one partition)