Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

ArenaNet (GW2) states WoW is not a very good story

article:
    http://www.incgamers.com/News/22873/...ow-not-a-story

From Ree Soesbee, game writer for GW2:

======
    "I don't consider doing those raids and instances the same thing as telling a story. It's not. You're getting to see awesome stuff, but you're not really experiencing a story," she said.

Reiterating the point, Soesbee added "The story in WoW is that you run into a guy's home / lair / castle and you beat him up. It's cool ... but not a story."

She seems to have played enough of the game to make a fair judgement, stating "I have played WoW for a long time and have a stupid amount of 80s."

Soesbee has also detailed how Guild Wars 2 will try to approach narrative a bit differently. "Like a play, I think the story has to unfold in acts ... in segments" she said, "Those segments can be different as long as they're both telling the same story. While two people may want to destroy the great dragon, one may want to kill the dragon because he's threatening his home, while the other is because of the threat to her mother."

"There's a whole world out there, and you're actually a piece of that grander story that's going on with every character in the game. The story has meaning all the way through, from beginning to end."
    ======

This was before before Cataclysm .. wonder what she thinks now? :P .. She is a hostile player, but some of us are with the way things have been going. Honestly I think WotLK was pretty good compared to Cataclysm .. How do you other players feel?

So killing a guy that has been plaguing the world for 10years and had a sad death is not enough?

Deleted
    Well it's true to an extent, as in, you don't really progress on the story inside raid instances. It's basically that the story is told through quests, then ends with bad guys going into their castle/lair, where you go to beat them up. The raids themselves don't continue on this story really. Well I guess some do, like KJ or Sinestra, but most don't.

Raids are closure to a story as quests start and create them :P.

Also 300 posts WOOT!

We don't need a new thread any time anyone from any other games company mentions World of Warcraft.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well you can't have a storyline to go with every single dungeon.
    So far from what I've seen the only dungeon that we really have no purpose in visiting is Blackwing's Descent, most if not all of the dungeons have a questline that eventually lead us players to confront the final boss in the dungeon.

Seriously like how the fuck did we find out that Nef is alive & kicking after we TOOK his head off during Blackwing's Lair?
    Did Deathwing just went around bragging that he lolressed his son?
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...trife/advanced
    WoW: Winterstrife, Level 120 Human Paladin | ESO: Strife Valor, CP 610 Dunmer Magblade | GW2: Inquisitor Strife, Level 80 Human Renegede.

I think that absolutely wrong and I think the only problem that the person is describing is a problem with how people play wow not how the game is constructed. Saying that you may have different reasons to kill a boss does not negate the fact that the ENTIRE leveling and questing process through each new expansion tends to tell the massive lead up story as to why you are killing these bosses.
    As someone already pointed out earlier the fact that it said this during wrath when we were killing Arthas for chris sake makes them seem like they have even less of a clue. Yep sure no back story on that guy.

So this is the second thread youv started in an attempt to get a flame war going with people on a WoW forum? Nice job, could we get a lock before it turns into that?

Deleted
    How many game companies can bash wow in a single day?..
    I think the lore/story of the warcraft universe is awesome, although not easily accessible and sometimes not very well told in wow.
    Last edited by mmoca172a76622; 2011-06-10 at 07:33 PM.

She's right - WoW has failed at incorporating the rich Warcraft-lore, fanboys will disagree, but it's true.

When I played this game actively I never realized how boring it really was, then I just thought "This is so pointless", unsubscribed and logged out. Damn, it feels good.

The majority of raid bosses have exactly 0 backstory attached to them. I find it boggling to think that anybody would disagree with her point.
    White Knights on mmo-champion.com forums: Able to troll with no repercussions!

Quote Originally Posted by Senaelanna View Post
    The majority of raid bosses have exactly 0 backstory attached to them. I find it boggling to think that anybody would disagree with her point.
    That's a nice thing about the dungeon journal actually, it provides backstory to the bosses you are encountering.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Deleted
    They're right: they aren't. And they don't need to be.

Deleted
    So you made another thread similar to nearly every other thread you have started about WoW and how other games will be better, said by other people / companies..
    Do you not get bored of this?
    It's very annoying and getting very old very fast. Does it matter what other people / companies say? Do you really have to post a new thread about it every time?
    Last edited by mmocf454e514c6; 2011-06-10 at 07:42 PM.

Women writing articles about video games are srs bidness.

Simca Edit: This post was infracted.
    Last edited by Simca; 2011-06-15 at 04:39 AM.

Nice, taking an interview over a year old to start a topic? OP seems to have an axe to grind with all of these topics he has started.

I don't know anybody that plays this games for the story anyway. I could care less about the story, I know nothing about it and have no interest in it. The only thing I care about in this game is pvp.

The story has never been more epic than it is now, sorry.

Warcraft has awesome lore, it just wasn't put into WoW very well. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodejjj View Post
    Women writing articles about video games are srs bidness.
    So, it'd have more of an impact if it were a man? No, no, it wouldn't.

is OP trying to start a flamewar? GW2 community has been golden, they keep to their thread and dont start other except in this last outburst the last few days. So i'm assuming OP is a troll.(even though his facts are valid, there is no need to start a new thread aside from getting a flamewar going)

On the matter - World of warcraft has very generic story, but that's because it was on of the first universes that has expanded so much and while that is true there is nothing ingame aside from cinematics and quest text that 97% of people dont read to get people into the lore. What i'm saying is that despite the rich warcraft setting, WoW fails to make use of proper storytelling mechanics to get the player to feel as a part of an epic world, belittling it even more by the addition of flying mounts. There's still some zones that feel epic, dont get me wrong, but a good 90% of the game is just killing stuff and not caring about the story. Guild wars 2 will 'probably' focus on it's storytelling mechanics, I'd also expect them to even add a personalized cinematic to player's journals.
    Last edited by Keller; 2011-06-10 at 07:45 PM.