Thread: Mage AoE

Mage AoE

there's probably other posts about this but i just need help. i'm a fire mage in full 359 and two pieces of 372 and i always look stupid in raids because i'm always low in damage done even though i do the whole burn phase and everything. i have like 14%haste. 14.something master. and 15% crit. and 6500 spellpower. but most fights i have to move around and of course, if i'm moving, i'm not doing any dps becuase i have no dots. and especially on AoE fights, i use flamestrike and blizzard but...it's not that effective, i just get DESTROYED in damage done. i can't see how improved arcane explosion would help, most situations, such as Hmagmaw, and Hmaloriak - using arcane blast can either kill a raid or in the maloriak case i can't stack in melee cuz i'll be getting slammed by blast stuff. any suggestions. i think maybe if i just stack full intellect then master i might do better but.... plz help

Well about the moving thing. You can always Scorch and Living Bomb on the move. Thats about it, but scorch still does some nice damage on the go. Better than nothing. And when you need to AoE on the go you just DoT one target with LB and maybe Pyroblast and anything else and then use fire blast and spread it to the nearby enemies. Al instant cast spells so it shouldn't be an issue.

I would suggest going to the fire mage sticky in these mage forums, and reading everything, because you're saying your fire yet describing how an arcane mage works (or doesn't work).

I think he may have meant to say he is an arcane mage (judging from his signature) >_>

Quote Originally Posted by Puffman View Post
    I think he may have meant to say he is an arcane mage (judging from his signature) >_>
    Yeah that honestly makes more sense. Hopefully we get some clarification though. ^_^'

lol fail. hahahahah i'm an arcane mage guys. Noob >.>

10+ Year Old Account
    Well Arcane mage is the best at single target dps. As for the moving part use AB PoM (whenever off cooldown), ArBarrage, Fire Blast and Ice Lance in that order.
    As for the aoe arcane is at the bottom. But only thing I can suggest is to use PoM Flamestrike and then get some AB off with an Arc Explosion for the +%. This is only when AoE is absolutely needed otherwise just ignore it and keep with your normal mana phase/burn phase rotation so that you keep your dps relatively high.

Edit: Oh ya. Forgot to say that you can use Arcane Power for the dmg increase..
    Last edited by Pandorox; 2011-06-11 at 03:46 AM.

For moving, use this priority;

1) Arcane Barrage on CD (unless you will be able to cast another AB before the stack runs off)
    2) Fire Blast on CD
    3) Ice Lance

arcane aoe isn't that bad, for example in maloriak its not that hard to aoe, just do it like a demon warlock aoing while moving, while making sure that you got 4 stacks AB an ofc you need to have IMP AP. and for maloriak you threat is really low since you using IMP Arcane explosion 80% reduce threat so probably the other classes will hold the aggro over you so its ok with aoing em while youre near them,