Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Yeah, that's Iced Earth's style. I dunno, when I was learning I found repeated gallops to be more taxing than lots of downstrokes, mainly because of precision issues that came with endurance.

No doubt that Creeping Death and Disposable Heroes requires some serious wrist action, though.
    What kind of axe you got?

I recommend this youtube channel to evryone who's interested in learning the most known rifs out there. He breaks it down very simple so it gets easy to learn
    http://www.youtube.com/user/martyzsongs

hope you enjoy !

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha thanks, but that'l be tough. I like heavy/hard to play music.
    "Hard" doesn't mean impossible. You're not trying to learn how to play without effort, are you? =P

Yeah, that's Iced Earth's style. I dunno, when I was learning I found repeated gallops to be more taxing than lots of downstrokes, mainly because of precision issues that came with endurance.

No doubt that Creeping Death and Disposable Heroes requires some serious wrist action, though.
    Depends on the person I guess. I used to be almost exclusively a downstroke guy, my alternate/triple picking was sloppy at times to say the least. But I'd been practising downpicking so much so that even a friend of mine could not match my speed and stamina with downpicking even though he was a far better and experienced player otherwise. In retrospect having build up that stamina and speed through downpicking alone made it easier for me to expand into other fast picking styles once I was really arsed to eventuallly. Once I got the picking style/timing down I didn't have to worry about the stamina because I already had it.

So what I'm saying is that if you want the fastest way to "cheat" your way into endurance, then downpick. Another option would be to use wrist weights if you want endurance in a fast way while alternate picking. But the downpick guy could still top you by putting on weights aswell.
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2011-06-15 at 02:16 PM.

Master of puppets, really badly, really loudly in your local guitar store. Make sure to take some mates with you to do hilarious wacky original unique headbanging, all while some poor bastard is trying to demo a £2000 amp

In all seriousness, Symphony of Destruction (Megadave) is fairly straightforwards, or Shinobi vs Dragon ninja (lost prophets) is also fairly easy.

Deleted
    I'm new to this forum. Personally i've been playing guitar for over 4 years, just started playing on 7-string. I've started learning to play the guitar with Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit, Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water and Metallica - Enter Sandman (you can forget about the solo for now). Later you can play some of the other Metallica songs e.g. One, Unforgiven or if you get your picking technique and endurance good then play Master of Puppets. After about 1 year you may try playing some of Dream Theater e.g. Root of all Evil or Pull me Under.

15+ Year Old Account
    absolutely great for wrist-speed-training: B.Y.O.B.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kashydan View Post
    absolutely great for wrist-speed-training: B.Y.O.B.
    Totally agree, used this one along with Master of Puppets using only downstroke picking

Quote Originally Posted by Mustakrakish View Post
    What kind of axe you got?
    Fender Strat American Series. I used to play on a Gibson, but that belonged to a friend who gave up guitar playing until he saw me starting to learn his favorite songs. Although to be fair, I don't play it much anymore. I've come to love learning classical guitar so much that 9 times out of 10 I'm playing my acoustic.
    Last edited by Badpaladin; 2011-06-15 at 05:36 PM.

Fender Strat American Series. I used to play on a Gibson, but that belonged to a friend who gave up guitar playing until he saw me starting to learn his favorite songs. Although to be fair, I don't play it much anymore. I've come to love learning classical guitar so much that 9 times out of 10 I'm playing my acoustic.
    I lurv acoustic. Love Gypsy Kings and that kind of hard strumming style. And, yeah, it does depend on the individual. My right wrist was already strong from ... yeah, so, tremolo picking or fast down picking was never 'that' hard but it did take a while to build up endurance, whereas my fretting fingers where absolutely hopeless at trying to learn some shredding. My friend was the complete opposite, lol >_>
    I have an ESP M-II myself, but my playing style has changed from heavy metal to shit like CCR, so it kinda doesn't sound right >_>

the best way to learn guitar is find a song that have 2 or 4 chords.

Don't make the same mistake as I did. Don't start with learning Power Chords and then just playing Metallica songs (and Metal rhytm in general). Yes, you develop a fantastic right hand FOR METAL, but that's about the only thing you will learn.

Start with Chords, and expand upon that, unless you wanna be the Rhythm guitarist that can cover pretty much any song, but doesn't know jack shit about playing Solo leads and can't improvise for shit. (and you won't be able to play anything else than Metal)

As for songs that requires picking endurance, Creeping Death? Really? That was the 2nd song I player. Master of Puppets and Disposable Heroes are soooooooooooooooo much harder than Creeping Death that it's not even funny. Also, I found Stormrider to be waaaay harder than any Metallica song when it comes to right-hand endurance.

Exhorder - Exhorder is also very brutal on your right hand.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

Quote Originally Posted by Sanctioned View Post
    If you can watch Trace Bundy and say he doesn't blow your mind I don't know what will.
    It's OK, it's probably because I just don't understand what he's doing that makes it difficult

*That's not me playing the arrogance card, I can't play, I genuinely don't know.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh