Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhixion View Post
    I heard Witcher 2 is the new game to benchmark GPUs with because it's so intense, it truly shows how good the GFX are when it brings SLI 580s to 30-40 FPS :O But I think I'll go with the single 580 and maybe with a twist of the arm I might get a second if I feel it necessary when the new games are out. Out of curiosity, since this'll be my first PC build, how difficult is it to build and install SLI GPUs?
    Nothing more than an extra 5mins of work, the bridge is somewhat easy to plug in and then there's ofc only the extra powercables for the extra card.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronius View Post
    Nothing more than an extra 5mins of work, the bridge is somewhat easy to plug in and then there's ofc only the extra powercables for the extra card.
    Ah okay, I should manage that. What PSU are you using?

Ah okay, I should manage that. What PSU are you using?
    Corsair 1000watts. My system peaks at around 850watts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Corsair 1000watts. My system peaks at around 850watts.
    Unless you're using 3way SLi/Xfire, it actually doesn't...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    What sort of PSU should I be looking at for a dual SLI 580 setup? I'm confused with all this modular and non-modular malarkey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    this is exactly why brand loyalty is discouraged, as somebody always has to hate on the brand you love, or love the brand you hate
    It's why logical people weigh the actual specs of stuff.

I heard Witcher 2 is the new game to benchmark GPUs with because it's so intense
    ...or badly optimized.

*cough Crysis*
    *cough Metro 2033*

Ex: My EVGA Gtx 570 can handle pretty much anything that's optimized alright at full graphics. Crysis 2, BF:BC2, Black Ops, etc, and they all look incredible. White, say, Metro, does look amazing, for the incredibly little difference in the high-end graphics options, the FPS hit is HUGE.
    Last edited by Chickensoup23; 2011-06-13 at 05:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickensoup23 View Post
    ...or badly optimized.

*cough Crysis*
    *cough Metro 2033*
    Usually people who complain of Metro 2033 are just unable to run it at max.

...or badly optimized.

*cough Crysis*
    *cough Metro 2033*
    This is why its occasionally fun to play some console games towards the EOL, where the developer uses every trick they learned over the years to make something that looks like its beyond the system's capabilities.

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/ninte...ics-sound.html

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    It actually does, 835 watts is the highest I've observed. As i said that's a peak, when i combine different synthetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    Usually people who complain of Metro 2033 are just unable to run it at max.
    I'm pretty sure almost all of the people browsing these forums (including you) don't own a Gtx 580 or the equivalent. The 570 I have is the equiv to AMD's top card (6970) and can't go higher than ~30 FPS with EVERYTHING (including AAA & shit) maxed. I think here they just didn't bother optimizing the game. I can still run it on very high with 4x AA instead of 16x well.

Take for instance the first Gears of War. It looked AMAZING (for that time) on both PC & Xbox while being much less demanding. It's just that lately, for games ported to the Xbox, devs don't bother optimizing it for the PC, but do it for everything else. Frustrates me.

The game is simply really demanding for today's hardware, just like The Witcher, or like Crysis was when it came out. Required REALLY expensive systems to run at max resolution with EVERYTHING maxed, see near impossible for the mainstream gamer. Now, if you have a system like Synthaxxx's...but hey, how many of us do?
    Last edited by Chickensoup23; 2011-06-13 at 05:58 AM.

I'm pretty sure almost all of the people browsing these forums (including you) don't own a Gtx 580 or the equivalent. The 570 I have is the equiv to AMD's top card (6970) and can't go higher than ~30 FPS with EVERYTHING (including AAA & shit) maxed. I think here they just didn't bother optimizing the game. I can still run it on very high with 4x AA instead of 16x well.

Take for instance the first Gears of War. It looked AMAZING (for that time) on both PC & Xbox while being much less demanding. It's just that lately, for games ported to the Xbox, devs don't bother optimizing it for the PC, but do it for everything else. Frustrates me.

The game is simply really demanding for today's hardware, just like The Witcher, or like Crysis was when it came out. Required REALLY expensive systems to run at max resolution with EVERYTHING maxed, see near impossible for the mainstream gamer. Now, if you have a system like Synthaxxx's...but hey, how many of us do?
    You say that you don't have a topend rig, yet you expect to run the games with all the bells and whistles cranked to the max or?

Deleted
    It's just that lately, for games ported to the Xbox, devs don't bother optimizing it for the PC, but do it for everything else. Frustrates me.
    This was exactly my initial worry when BF3 and Skyrim was announced. Stupid consoles taking precedence in having their GFX optimized, then all the developers do is shift that over to PC, where the system can easily handle greater settings than the consoles. Luckily, both developers behind BF3 and Skyrim have said this won't be the case, I can't wait to see BF3 on max settings!

10+ Year Old Account

I get 35+ fps on 1920x1080 with my 6970 Lightning and max settings in Metro 2033. The first gears of war had too much motion blur and bloom effect lol.. Made everything look so washed out like garbage.

This was exactly my initial worry when BF3 and Skyrim was announced. Stupid consoles taking precedence in having their GFX optimized, then all the developers do is shift that over to PC, where the system can easily handle greater settings than the consoles. Luckily, both developers behind BF3 and Skyrim have said this won't be the case, I can't wait to see BF3 on max settings!
    I'm just waiting for some sweet death from above, as nice as bad company 2 was I really missed the air battles.

Deleted
    I'm just waiting for some sweet death from above, as nice as bad company 2 was I really missed the air battles.
    Yeeeah, that'd be great! I'm sure you've already seen it but check this game-play video out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UwOrl036_A

Looks amazing, can't wait.

Exactly. In a way I'm really happy to see games such as Metro, Skyrim & Witcher II that can play with much greater graphics on the PC than on consoles, but in a way, SOME (not all) of them are optimized to take more power than they should, thus leaving you with...well...yea.

Also, even thought my rig is not the best, I'm pretty sure that it's better than 95% of the consumer computers out there, hence why when I can't run a game at comfortable frames, it means that it takes some serious power.

---------- Post added 2011-06-13 at 02:52 AM ----------

Yeeeah, that'd be great! I'm sure you've already seen it but check this game-play video out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UwOrl036_A

Looks amazing, can't wait.
    Jesus christ this looks amazing.