Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't touch any sandforce 2200 based SSD with a thirty-foot pole tbh Add ten feet when it comes to OCZ because they seem to genuinely not care when people bring these issues up. Only when corsair admitted there were problems, then things started to happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    Wouldn't touch any sandforce 2200 based SSD with a thirty-foot pole tbh Add ten feet when it comes to OCZ because they seem to genuinely not care when people bring these issues up. Only when corsair admitted there were problems, then things started to happen.
    Yet another reason not to bother with SSD's yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    lol... well check the second thread I linked: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...lding-PC-ideas
    and give me some suggestions? :P
    Not too easy to drop £150 for SSD, but...

- PSU for Corsair TX650 (saves £27) if you're fairly sure you won't be doing SLI.
    - keyboard for Logitech G110 (saves £20) unless you really like the Razer thingy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    Yeah, OCZ is not really quality manufacturer, but it's decent choice if you're willing to take the risk of a DOA part to save money.

Best disc from the store OP will be using would be Intel's 510 for £180 (128GB), which is going to be quite pricy addition, but worth the £20 step-up from the OCZ.

---------- Post added 2011-06-14 at 12:49 AM ----------

OCZ has got whole lot of bad rep for being low budget manufacturer. They also single-handedly managed to destroy the reputation of all first generation SSD discs as being unreliable and breaking early while the SSDs manufactured by Kingston were totally fine and problem-free.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Controller/firmware issues hit all drives, whether they be SSDs or HDDs.

I could go into detail about all the frustrations I've had with mechanical drives and all the work needed to either rebuild or restore the data the drives lost. Do that 5 times in a single year (past 12 months for me) and you get annoyed; fast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Yeah, OCZ is not really quality manufacturer, but it's decent choice if you're willing to take the risk of a DOA part to save money....
    OCZ has got whole lot of bad rep for being low budget manufacturer. They also single-handedly managed to destroy the reputation of all first generation SSD discs as being unreliable and breaking early while the SSDs manufactured by Kingston were totally fine and problem-free.
    Only reason I picked an OCZ was becuase it seems to be the most commonly used/advocated one on these forums.

Although i've never had a DOA part from Novatech yet..

---------- Post added 2011-06-13 at 10:59 PM ----------

Not too easy to drop £150 for SSD, but...

- PSU for Corsair TX650 (saves £27) if you're fairly sure you won't be doing SLI.
    - keyboard for Logitech G110 (saves £20) unless you really like the Razer thingy.
    I'm not particularly cirtain that I won't, SLI makes for a good resale point. So I think it's more likely that I will SLI even if its just a selling point.
    As for the Logitech G110 I don't really like it at all... doesn't offer anything I would use that a cheap £10 microsoft keyboard doesn't do.

Only reason I picked an OCZ was becuase it seems to be the most commonly used/advocated one on these forums.

OCZ is popular because those have the best $/GB with Sandforce controller making it really good performing disc for it's price.

The problem with those is maybe around 5% DOA rate while most other computer part manufacturers are somewhere in 1-2% range. First SSDs from OCZ had over 10% fail rate which caused all the stories of "SSDs break easy" while Kingston at the same time sold slightly slower and more expensive SSDs with under 2% fail rate.

Depending on how easy or hard the store you're buying from is to deal with when it comes to DOA parts you might get really fast SSD for really cheap price with OCZ, but for paranoid people those are no recommended for peace of mind.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account

I'm not particularly cirtain that I won't, SLI makes for a good resale point. So I think it's more likely that I will SLI even if its just a selling point.
    Intel SSD. Can't go wrong.

Since you mentioned 3d vision in another thread I'd say SLI might very well become a reality. 3D nomnoms on hardware.

[QUOTE=

OCZ has got whole lot of bad rep for being low budget manufacturer. They also single-handedly managed to destroy the reputation of all first generation SSD discs as being unreliable and breaking early while the SSDs manufactured by Kingston were totally fine and problem-free.[/QUOTE]

i built my rig in 09 using ocz vertex, win7 boots fast but no real noticeable differences on program loads
    $/GB it was good for ssd but i prob gotten better performance off using 10k rpm raptor.

Not surprising since Kingston SSDs were, and likely still are, rebadged Intel SSDs.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Deleted
    A thread about 2500k and 2600k and you are talking SSD?

OT: as far as I've heard 2500k is for gaming and 2600k is for gaming and video/3D editing.

Don't get a Coolermaster Storm Scout Gaming Case, i have one and we had to remove lots of parts to even fit in my 6970 so get a larger one.

i7 2600k just so you can say you have an i7, isn't that why everyone buys one? =P

Seriously: According to this benchmark, the i7 just BARELY edges out the i5, probably not enough to spend the extra money. As for how far you can OC without altering the voltage: you should be able to push 4GHz with adequate cooling.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2011-06-14 at 07:48 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    i7 2600k just so you can say you have an i7, isn't that why everyone buys one? =P

Seriously: According to this benchmark, the i7 just BARELY edges out the i5, probably not enough to spend the extra money. As for how far you can OC without altering the voltage: you should be able to push 4GHz with adequate cooling.
    http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/c...ridge_review/3

i5 actually beats the i7 on one of the OC tests, and is competitive with the others... but yeah, OC benchmark there if you're interested.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    A thread about 2500k and 2600k and you are talking SSD?

OT: as far as I've heard 2500k is for gaming and 2600k is for gaming and video/3D editing.
    I'm not too big on Video editing, more for virtulisation, as I need to experiment with lots of different OS's

---------- Post added 2011-06-14 at 09:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaith View Post
    Don't get a Coolermaster Storm Scout Gaming Case, i have one and we had to remove lots of parts to even fit in my 6970 so get a larger one.
    cool thanks for that :P although yeah I was pretty set on the CM HAF 932 already.

---------- Post added 2011-06-14 at 09:17 PM ----------

From the benchmarks I saw the i5 actually performed better on a purely gaming point of view.

---------- Post added 2011-06-14 at 09:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by crazypearce View Post
    http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/c...ridge_review/3

i5 actually beats the i7 on one of the OC tests, and is competitive with the others... but yeah, OC benchmark there if you're interested.
    Dont suppose you've found one comparing OC benchmarks with different forms of cooling? IE, Air, Water, Closed loop etc...

10+ Year Old Account

Well that's a single page with two benchmarks. Next page showed some H.264 encoding in the i7-2600K's favour. If it's worth the money to get up performance of 2-pass H.264 encodes, Cinema 4D renders or the like, perhaps only by a weeny little bit, that's up to the buyer to decide.

The use of HT is undoubtedly niche, though.
    Last edited by Wries; 2011-06-14 at 09:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Word of advice, don't go with the 212+.

I tried it and the setup was horrible. Spend the extra bit of money and get something with an easier mounting system that's less painful to deal with. I upgraded to the Noctua NH-D14 and the difference is amazing. It idles at 6-7 degress C cooler and sits at about 67 degrees C under a full heat/power consumption stress test OC'd at 4.7.

I couldn't even run the stress tests with the 212+ despite trying to reseat it twice after the original install. It would hit 78-85 degrees within seconds of starting the stress tests. And that was only OC'd at 4.5.

Quote Originally Posted by Muya View Post
    Word of advice, don't go with the 212+.

I tried it and the setup was horrible. Spend the extra bit of money and get something with an easier mounting system that's less painful to deal with. I upgraded to the Noctua NH-D14 and the difference is amazing. It idles at 6-7 degress C cooler and sits at about 67 degrees C under a full heat/power consumption stress test OC'd at 4.7.

I couldn't even run the stress tests with the 212+ despite trying to reseat it twice after the original install. It would hit 78-85 degrees within seconds of starting the stress tests. And that was only OC'd at 4.5.
    Sounds like your problem was in failing to install the cooler, not in the cooler itself. Hyper212+ is recommended because it costs one third of NH-D14 and will be only some 3-4C above it in temperatures. It's good value for money, but not the best cooler around.

Watched an installation video of it and can believe people have problems with it and wont get it right easily.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Dont suppose you've found one comparing OC benchmarks with different forms of cooling? IE, Air, Water, Closed loop etc...
    not specifically, but for the stable 5ghz on the 2500k he is using a Noctua NH-D14 with maximum load temps at around 70 degrees. with 2600k at a stable 5ghz he is also using the Noctua NH-D14 with 70-80 degrees.

i doubt you'd ever need to go to 5ghz, so i can't see much benefit of using any advanced cooling. the d14 isn't too pricey and can easily cope with extreme oc with this cpu.

just to give you an idea of load temps with air cooling.

Deleted
    2500k is a lot cheaper and the only difference is that 2600k has hyperthreading which is very situational, but even for HT enabled apps, it's only the equivalent of overclocking an extra 100mhz on 2500k.

I am running my 2500k with a triple 120mm rad and heatkiller 3 waterblock - 4.8ghz stable at 1.37v

But even with stock cooler, standard turbo boost will take you up beyond 3.8ghz, with a decent aftermarket cooler and some overclocking knowledge 4.6ghz on air is easily achieved.

2600k runs hotter and uses more power becuase of HT.

Quote Originally Posted by Korchinks View Post
    2500k is a lot cheaper and the only difference is that 2600k has hyperthreading which is very situational, but even for HT enabled apps, it's only the equivalent of overclocking an extra 100mhz on 2500k.
    HT shows as 5-20% speed increase depending on program, so maybe closer to 2-400MHz bump. On games it's usually below that 5% but some exceptions with lots of AI stuff behind the scenes (like CiV5) will be about 20% faster with HT.

5% does not really warrant extra $100 in pricetag, but 20% might already be good enough reason for the people who are doing 3D rendering that takes several hours. There the time savings could be quite significant.
    Trolling should be.