Thread: Razer Megalodon

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Razer Megalodon

Hey guys, Im thinking of buying a new headset, and ive been looking at the Razer Megalodon, and I think it looks awsome.
    So, what im wondering is if this is a good headset for wow? does wow like....support 7.1 speakers/headset ?

Thanks,
    Warexx

Deleted
    Meh, if you want 7.1 surround, get a Logitec G35. It is cheaper and has a better microphone imho.

Razer is know for their general crappy quality of headset, not to mention it is fairly overpriced

From what i read, the logitech g35 is waay better in terms of virtual surround sound(they both use it). However all review say stereo sound is fantastic on both and mic good on both. I recently ordered the g35 because of reviews of the megalodon being bad when it comes to surround.

Deleted
    No, i'm all for supporting Razer products, I have a shedload of them, but I really have to advise you to stay away from their headset range.
    They are the definition of overpriced low quality crap.(their mice and keyboards are amazing however).

If you want a 'proper' headset, I recommend a Sennheiser model, you will never ever look back. I promise you that.

However if you are dead set on the megalodon, yes it supports 7.1, it has a built in microphone, and a panel you can place on your desk to adjust the volume and mute/unmute the microphone.
    Last edited by mmoce7a0623b54; 2011-06-14 at 12:12 AM.

ive been reading some reviews of the Logitec G35, and ppl say its awsome sound, but breaks easy :/

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketbear View Post
    Razer is know for their general crappy quality of headset, not to mention it is fairly overpriced
    Known by whom? I personally think the quality of all the Razer products I've owned to be very well built but will admit they have a cheap feel to them. Feel to actual quality is very different though.

I have owned both the G35 and now the Magalodons and they both have upsides and downsides. In virtual 7.1, neither perform very well when it comes to things like Youtube or general music but when it comes to movies, the G35 do have the edge when it comes to bass. As for actually hearing all the directions, since more sounds fall into the mid to high range, the Razers were a little better even without a booming bass sounds from explosions, but if your watching some sort of action movie, you want to hear the explosions. The bass from the G35s got the overall 1-up when it came to movies IMO.

When it comes to normal mode operations, the G35 did sound better, but this again was due to the bass, but overall the sounds are slightly better across the mid to high sound bands on the Razers. So really it was a wash though personally, I enjoy hearing as many of the sounds that I can, so bass being able to overpower just isn't my deal.

For raiding, my setup is to use the Razer in normal mode for Mumble (ventrilo) and game sounds through my computers 5.1 speakers. In this setup, the Razers are far and above better then the G35. The G35 are an enclosed headset and you can not hear much of the world outside whats playing in the headset whilst the Razer are much more open and do not stop all to much of the ambient sounds. I can easily separate voice from game sounds, and I still hear game sounds (or music if I choose).

For random playing, I will often have the game through the headset in the virtual 7.1 and its wonderful, actually enjoy it better then the Bose speakers, but then again, its more from ease of use to turn up and down specific sound channels. To compare, the G35 sounded just as nice but didn't have the ease of use with controls on the side of your head.

For the mic, I didn't go about recorded my voice to see how it sounds back to me, but people said that I didn't sound just right on the G35. I personally was surprised by this since all my previous cheap Logitec mics sounded perfect, could have just been something with my own settings.

One of the biggest differences between the 2, the Razer are beyond comfortable especially when comparing to the G35. I found myself adjusting the G35 nonstop and could never sit for more then 20 minutes. They felt very heavy after only a short time. I can wear my Razers for a night of raiding and be perfectly fine to toss them back on for a late night movie if I wanted.

I have no experience with Heiser models, hit the Magaldons and haven't looked back, so no luck in a real comparison from me on these.

Quote Originally Posted by warex00 View Post
    ive been reading some reviews of the Logitec G35, and ppl say its awsome sound, but breaks easy :/

I wouldn't worry about that unless you frequently throw things when you go into fits of rage. Just like anything if you take care of it and should work fine. Logitech has never let me down.

This headset: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826265064 used to cost $100 or so. I had the one with the USB plug in adapter whichI think they dont sell anymore in this headset model. It is however extremly comfortable for me. Completely and comfortably covers my ears. mic/sound quality are great for wow. This isnt saying it's your best choice for music, but it would still be decent. Be careful with the boom. a little fragile to in/out bending/breaking. Always just put it back up into the headset and you're fine.

After breaking the boom on my 1st one I bought a 2nd and love it. I use it for group seminars I give at times over skype, and of course for vent and arena/rbg stuff constantly and the occasional pve hero raid.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    My Logitecs have wonderful sound quality, but I'll echo what others have already stated: They become uncomfortable very quickly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by warex00 View Post
    Basically the same as a razer product, they also tend to break very easily.

The product is usually 1% the problem and 99% the consumer when it comes to quality.

Thanks for all the comments, I think ill go for the Razer one

I have a razer barracuda hp-1, replaced twice when it broke. One side of it does not work sometimes unless I play with the wire, also the mic picks up poorly.
    I would not recommend their headsets, I like the Razer mouse I have though

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayko View Post
    Known by whom? I personally think the quality of all the Razer products I've owned to be very well built but will admit they have a cheap feel to them. Feel to actual quality is very different though.
    Note why I mentioned their headsets only. I have a naga and am in love with it. However, their headset range is overpriced for the quality they deliver compared to what you can get on the market for a cheaper or the same price.
    As you said, I prefer the enclosed G35 over Razer megalodon. When I'm gaming, I don't want any ambient sounds interrupting my immersion and found the G35 to be more comfortable than the Cacharias (which are basically a non-surround version of the megalodon).
    On microphone quality, G35 is infinitely better than a Megalodon, I know a few people who use it for podcast purposes and from my experience with Razer headsets, their microphone quality is usually on the level of that of some integrated laptop mics.

Comfort is a personal thing, some people might consider a Razer Piranha to be comfortable, but I think they are a torture to wear.

Razer has fantastic Mice, but their headsets are lacking and their keyboards also have some issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    I currently use the Razer Megalodon, and while it is quite expensive the sound quality is superb in stereo. I personally don't use the 7.1 for gaming but i use it on movies etc and it seems ok. I have not tried a G35 so i can't compare there.

From what I've been told on vent the mic is very clear and is on par with my last headset which was a $150 creative one.

The only negative thing i can say about this is if you are into music with heavy bass ie. DnB or Dubstep, it doesn't seem to handle the bass as well as my old headset.

All in all, a very good headset, but probably not quite worth the pricetag.

I had been using a Trion headset for a while, but it ended up breaking and so I got a replacement for free... unfortunately those broke too which basically convinced me to get a refund.

I then got the G35's to replace them, it's anything but fragile, I've had them drop more than a few times do to my stupidity, I've had the cord get stuck on my char and tugged out and the headset get flinged to the ground and the headset itself as well as the cord are all still in relatively perfect condition.

The sound quality for the price is the best I've ever experienced and the headset itself is extremely comfortable (At least the way my head is shaped/when I got adjusted to it.) I very much enjoy having the ease of access controls on the side of my headset and the fact that the end of the mic lights up when you mute it or put it up is helpful as well. Not saying other headsets don't have similar features, but these are all things to keep in mind.

For the price I got it for I couldn't be more happy with them.

Edit: It sounds like you are convinced already, but don't let people sway you simply over the issue of it potentially being easily breakable, because they aren't, I assure you. That or mine are a special titanium version, or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol they named that headset after the megaloden ancient shark with the jaws big enough to swallow a bus whole...

Oh crap, now im not sure......

Another thing, I found this g35 for a really decent price compared to most other sites,
    http://www.spaceworld.no/product-res...g-headset-usb/ I know this is norwegian, so most of u dont understand it, but that price just seems so cheap, not sure if its the same headset...

the price on that site is about 109 USD

TBH, get headphones and not a headset.
    If you have to get a headset, don't get one from Razer.

I've only heard bad things about the Megalodon from reliable sources (ie, audiophiles), and what in fact was what started my dislike toward Razer to begin with.

If you have to get a headset, I advice you to take a look at Sennheiser PC360 or the likes.

Deleted
    I'm sitting with a Megalodon and no, it's not worth the money. I don't hate it and it got good sound and a fine microphone (Mine started to bug though - I think it's due to the fact that I dropped it alot of times ><) but it's not worth such a high amount of money.

If you mainly sit at home and play and are willing to offer some money then you should go for Sennheiser PC360. (350 if you attend huge lans.)