holy learning disc

I'm a pretty damn good holy priest. Despite some strange ideas I have about crit healing and chakra dancing, I generally stick to the accepted itemizations / spell priorities. On fights that favor my mechanics I manage to parse 12-14k without really breaking a sweat. I really like the flexibility I get from holy priest mechanics, allowing me to crank up my throughput into overdrive by abusing procs and cooldowns without wasting mana. 'Dumping mana efficiently'.

Now my guild has finished recruiting for 25 man and we're pushing into heroic modes.. It's undeniable that PW:B is indispensable for some bossfight mechanics (chogall, maybe chim). So this week I've put on an A/A spec as my secondary and started playing around in troll heroics. After two nights of this, I'm utterly frustrated because I'm huffing and puffing, ultimately failing to keep tanks up that I'd have no trouble with in holy spec. I'm sure this is some understanding issue on my part. The issue is that I simply have no way to massively amp up my throughput for short bursts when I need it.

In holy if I'm in a bind and need healing FAST on single target or raid I can trigger serendipity.

In disc if I need a burst I AA PW:S IF Gheal Penance
    ^^^ but the above can't be spammed, whereas the serendipity chain can be spammed as much as you like.
    If I need more than that! It's renew -> Gheal spam until PW:S Penance and IF are back up. This just doesn't cut it

Flash tbh seems even worse for disc than it is for holy. At least in holy i get serendipity

For this reason, when I need to spike I just can't keep up! In troll heroics healing tanks I've been parsing 12-14k. As holy I could spike to 20k for short bursts when I needed to (if there is some aoe going out).

Is there something I'm missing here? Do I need to experiment with SoS?

I feel I can't raid effectively in this spec until I figure out my problem.

Armory - I'm itemized for holy (stacking spirit > haste). Some may disagree with my use of Heartsong and Darkglow, but I'm not interested in discussing that here.
    Last edited by zakaluka; 2011-06-14 at 01:20 AM.

Flash Heal is worse than Serenity->Flash Heal-> Greater, yes. That synergy present in Holy has to play out differently in Discipline.

But you replace two Flash Heals with a single Shield, and you pump Penance, the target's going to live long enough that your Greater Heals will keep them up. You shouldn't be using Renew. It's just Greater Heal spam until Penance comes back.

And yes, Strength of Soul will help your situation greatly here. I'd recommend dropping two points out of Mental Agility to give it a go. As long as you're not trying to be a bubble-bot in your 25s, you won't really miss the points with how much Spirit you have.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by zakaluka View Post
    In disc if I need a burst I AA PW:S IF Gheal Penance
    ^^^
    I think the biggest difference between that playing style, is that you are wasting the 14% haste gained from borrowed time. Because Casting PW:S gains you BT, Then you need to IF and GH.

With the AA spec i think its got great utility for raid healing. The ToT (Train of thought) and SoS (Strength of soul) Is an amazing spec for Tank healing.
    Last edited by Pheerme; 2011-06-14 at 09:58 AM. Reason: typo :P