Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    3 Things i was told by someone!

Dont fuck with /b
    Dont fuck with Anonymous
    Dont fuck with /b & Anonymous
    Australian Oceanic Multi Class Veteran of the Burning Crusade Wars!
    Twitter: @Romiretv
    Youtube: RomireTv
    Twitchy: My Twitch

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    Of course. But the fact that some people do things for no profit at all, is an indication that they believe in the cause to begin with. To have to be paid to do it. Well. You can believe in it too; but I don't think your belief is as strong.

It's probably more like 99%. That said, I feel my 'true believers' vs 'hired goons' analogy remains true.
    Oh, most definitely. 100%. Now anon just needs to find some true believers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rec View Post
    Everyone has a price.
    This statement as true as it may be does not only refer to monetary value. To some their only price is to reach their goal or death.

I am not speaking out in favor of Anon or NATO I am just stating that the statement can refer to more than just money.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    Has anyone been following Anonymous' latest affairs? I started paying closer attention after the Barr incident (which colbert covered and is friggin hilarious, e http://comedy.videosift.com/video/Co...aks?loadcomm=1 )

And now Anonymous has put out a statement toward NATO in response to a document that was written up, listing them as a prime example of cyber attacks

http://anonnews.org/?p=press&a=item&i=1001

I find myself fascinated by all of this. Do you? Do you care at all?
    Anonymous is not a group, or a person. Its a collective term for people who think the same way, the 'Real' Anonymous no longer exists, fell apart after they got bored with Scientology. What you are seeing is different 'hackers' using the collective term.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    What a joke. Anonymous has no idea who its talking to, does it?
    They claim that they intend to take on an entity which, in a single day, spends more money than all of them combined will ever earn in their lifetimes?
    Sorry, anonymous, you guys aren't the best hackers in the world. Not even slightly close. The best hackers in the world work for the military, the guys you are talking shit to.
    Why? Because unlike anonymous, the military has a structured hierarchy that gives all of its members a comfortable salary. The military has millions of men and women who believe that what they are doing is right. Anonymous has a handful of people who think what they are doing is right, and a few thousand kids who occasionally follow you because they think hacking makes you cool.

Good luck in your war on the most powerful organization on Earth!
    The best hacker in the world could be a worker for the military by day and be part of anonymous at night. That's what Anonymous is. It's not an established group of activists. Hell, I'm sure there are employees of NATO who are Anonymous too. That's the beauty of it all.

Also, you mad?

As long as there is a place for corruption in the world, there is a place for hackers, whistle-blowers and the 'true' press.

"Do not attempt to repair your two faces by concealing one of them. Instead, try having only one face - an honest, open and democratic one." - My thoughts exactly.

And the idea of hackers being cowards is laughable. Can you even see what they are pointing out the government is doing? The Government is the coward here.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the problem is, due to the eponymous nature of 'Anonymous' (say that three times fast!), every teenager who has managed to stumble through a Linux installation thinks they are a hacker. Or their friends, who have been given access to an old DoS tool, such as vadim or smurf.

It is almost entirely these individuals - I like to refer to them as ./kiddiots - who make the bulk of the noise.

They can't do anything of note-worth; but they're vocal, and since they may have heard from a guy who knows a guy who was once friends with someone who actually knew something, they are connected - however weakly - and that is enough for the news media.

That's not to say that there aren't some brilliant individuals also flying the 'Anonymous' banner, hiding in plain sight, so to speak.

10+ Year Old Account
    <3 Inuyasha. You should be my internet gurlfriend.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    You're comparing 'true believers' to 'hired goons', and you're picking the goons?
    Anonymous is (my estimate) 90% fair weather volunteers.
    Quite the slippery slope with these estimates and assumptions. Both assume intimate knowledge of both parties' intentions and actions, which are essentially unknown in a realistic sense. You've got a group of hacktivists full of members either doing what they do for fun or for a cause, and a group of government funded and completely voluntarily enrolled infosec guys that are either doing what they do for money or for a patriotic cause. Again, neither party can be lumped into a pile describing their intentions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Quite the slippery slope with these estimates and assumptions. Both assume intimate knowledge of both parties' intentions and actions, which are essentially unknown in a realistic sense. You've got a group of hacktivists full of members either doing what they do for fun or for a cause, and a group of government funded and completely voluntarily enrolled infosec guys that are either doing what they do for money or for a patriotic cause. Again, neither party can be lumped into a pile describing their intentions.
    Very true, and a very wise observation.
    Still, I think anonymous would be hard pressed to rally an army against NATO. Likely this letter was written by one egomaniac with a god complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Kulthor View Post
    <3 Inuyasha. You should be my internet gurlfriend.
    O.o eep

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxycotten View Post
    Anonymous is not a group, or a person. Its a collective term for people who think the same way, the 'Real' Anonymous no longer exists, fell apart after they got bored with Scientology. What you are seeing is different 'hackers' using the collective term.
    You are right here... the good exemple here is the CIA, they used the Anonymous tag to do their attack outside the USA and inside of it....because everyones is Anonymous and can be Anonymous...event some NATO member can be part of its :P

Oh and the best Hackers of the world are in the Ex USSR states ((including Russia)) and its well know among the Hacker community.....and dont ask me how these serial vodka drunkers and old computer users can kick the ass of the Internet without effort is a one of my great mystery of mankind.
    Last edited by Zanardam; 2011-06-14 at 06:02 AM.
    If you fishing for hours at the same place and you become confident that everything is fine and safe, its will mean one thing; You are wrong. Because i was actually sitting near of you for hours, cloaked in the shadow with a smile on my face and my daggers ready to strike. I did it many time before. I will do it again.....and again......

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't comprehend how people can call anonymous cowards for well... being anonymous. The very essence of anonymous(which mind you is NOT an established organization just people with a cause) is that anyone can become one of them, regardless of where they come from who they are or why. If these people came into the open (the balls deep ones that actually do anything) make no mistake they would be arrested and imprisoned before you could even say lol.
    Edit: I see nothing cowardly in avoiding unjust persecution is what I'm saying here

Now let's look at governments. They lie to the citizens who elected them, mostly for personal gain(read political party's gain) hell... why am I even explaining this when this part is all inside the letter you were supposed to have read before you posted.
    Last edited by DismalNether; 2011-06-14 at 06:03 AM.

We elect our government officials in a republican manner. We have the right to know every thing they do. If you pick someone to represent you, wouldn't you want someone who doesn't do something behind your back? Everything Anon said is true. If a government or corporation is doing something illegal, or thinks they are above the law. Then they SHOULD by all means be brought to light an shown what the truly are. There will be no progress of the human species until we unite and try to achieve a common goal. Shady governments and corporations are the antithesis to our species progress.

It's lovely to see the people of MMO champion just suck up whatever anon spits out as the truth. Yes, they believe in this vigilante style "justice"...but they seem to leave out the fact that they are hurting innocent people by doing what they do. Most of anon is a bunch of kids who think fighting the power will make them awesome and rebellious. Can't wait for the veil to come down and they are exposed for the idiotic, albeit talented, hackers they are. They have plenty of skills, but they are using them in the wrong ways.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't buy the 'patriotic cause' line, personally.
    People do the job because it pays well - there's nothing wrong with that, of course.
    It isn't done out of some glorious sense of duty, however. You'll never sell me on that one.

Deleted
    While you're right about the former, the latter is laughable.

Also, your bit about salaries being a motivator:
    How can you compare a group of individuals who do something for no monetary gain whatsoever, to a group who are only doing a job because they're paid for it?

You're comparing 'true believers' to 'hired goons', and you're picking the goons?
    There is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer.
    You do realise you're talking about some silly teenagers who watched The Matrix a few times too many, right? And not actual revolutionaries?

Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    It's lovely to see the people of MMO champion just suck up whatever anon spits out as the truth. Yes, they believe in this vigilante style "justice"...but they seem to leave out the fact that they are hurting innocent people by doing what they do. Most of anon is a bunch of kids who think fighting the power will make them awesome and rebellious. Can't wait for the veil to come down and they are exposed for the idiotic, albeit talented, hackers they are. They have plenty of skills, but they are using them in the wrong ways.
    Say your government was secretly taking millions and giving it to a terrorist organization. And that organization happened to be waging a war against your nation. Would you not find that corrupt, and wouldn't you like to know [Totally Hypothetical]

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    The government is wrong.

The corporations are wrong.

Anon are wrong.

Humanity is wrong.

I am wrong.

The end. :P
    If you fishing for hours at the same place and you become confident that everything is fine and safe, its will mean one thing; You are wrong. Because i was actually sitting near of you for hours, cloaked in the shadow with a smile on my face and my daggers ready to strike. I did it many time before. I will do it again.....and again......

"Life, which you so nobly serve, comes from destruction, disorder and chaos. Now take this empty glass. Here it is: peaceful, serene, boring. But if it is destroyed...

Look at all these little things! So busy now! Notice how each one is useful. A lovely ballet ensues, so full of form and color. Now, think about all those people that created them. Technicians, engineers, hundreds of people, who will be able to feed their children tonight, so those children can grow up big and strong and have little teeny children of their own, and so on and so forth. Thus, adding to the great chain of life. You see, father, by causing a little destruction, I am in fact encouraging life. In reality, you and I are in the same business. "
    woohoo 5th element!

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Say your government was secretly taking millions and giving it to a terrorist organization. And that organization happened to be waging a war against your nation. Would you not find that corrupt, and wouldn't you like to know [Totally Hypothetical]
    Yes I would, but that's not how anon works. They attack people, expose weaknesses and problems, then go out of their way to ruin the entire situation and hurt innocent people.