Thread: Gtx 570

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Gtx 570

So I got this bad boy about a week ago, as some of you may have noticed from several posts in the forums. When I'm done with all the cable management in my build I'll post a full picture in the "Post your setup" thread. Anyway, on topic:

I've read several benchmarks, and all of them put this pretty much right against the 6970, and the 1GB doesn't really do a difference as I play on a 32" 1920 x 1200 screen. I'd need like an Apple screen to go higher. My question is...

Any of you have a similar card and could tell me how well it handles very high end options such as AA (x8, x16), AF, graphics in really demanding games, and such? I want personal experience.

As soon as my rig is fully up & running, I want to start with The Witcher 2 & Metro 2033, and I'm not sure how high I could crank the graphics with it. I know I can take the slider to ultra, but I'm not sure how, again, Anti-Aliasing & such bring the card down to its knees. I know it's usually the killer options.

Any input would be well appreciated

-Chicken

PS - I forgot. Here.

Last edited by Chickensoup23; 2011-06-14 at 05:42 AM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Grats on the new hardware man!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Grats on the new hardware man!
    Thx, but I still don't know 'bout my topic :P

Anybody have any idea how well those kind of cards handle high end settings?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have no personal experience with the 570, however I've heard a lot of great stuff about it and a quick look at youtube shows several videos where it is powering some beefy stuff. Very good card, just not sure about how it would handle AA. I'm sure Fuzzy, Synthaxx, or one of those guys should know better though.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Only downside with the GTX 570 is the reference designs can sometimes catch on fire when the power draw goes too high lol

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I have no personal experience with the 570, however I've heard a lot of great stuff about it and a quick look at youtube shows several videos where it is powering some beefy stuff. Very good card, just not sure about how it would handle AA. I'm sure Fuzzy, Synthaxx, or one of those guys should know better though.
    From all the benchmarks and reviews I've seen, almost any card that's mid range + (such as the 560Ti) can handle any game on ultra, but once you start tweaking with AA & AF, you see your frames drop like there's no tomorrow.

---------- Post added 2011-06-14 at 01:45 AM ----------

Fire extinguisher ready

/videocardbenchmark[dot]net/high_end_gpus.html

GTX 570 is the second best card on the market in high end video, only behind the GTX580.

I use a superclocked 570, and run Witcher 2 on ultra with 0 lag. In fact the blurring effect when changing your camera is so good it gives me a headache and I can't play the game.

But I also run 8g of ram and an overclock quad phenom 2.

Ok, so I have a ASUS GeForce GTX 570 DirectCU II which replaced my Radeon 4870 1GB. I play at 1920x1080, usually with VSync on. Rig:

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
    AMD Phenom 2 x4 @ 3.4GHz
    ASUS GeForce GTX 570 DirectCU II
    2x2GB DDR1333
    SSD For games

Far Cry 2: All maxed settings(2x AA 16xAF): 60FPS in most areas, lower around 50fps in other areas. Seems to be a cpu limitation though as a few cores are maxed and my gpu isn't at 99%

Crysis: Second to highest settings(can't remember what it's called): Anywhere from 30 to 60 fps depending on what's going on and where I am. Mostly around 40fps.

Crysis 2: Max settings with SSAO off is a solid 60fps all the way through.

Metro2033: Second to highest settings: 30-40fps mostly.

WoW: Ultra with shadows turned down, 16xaf 2xaa, 60fps everywhere except SW which is 50-60, sometimes 40 when flying overhead, around 45 in raid.

Starcraft 2: Mostly maxed settings, maybe shadows turned down: 60fps to start but down around 40-45fps during heavy fighting.

Team Fortress 2: Pretty solid 60fps on 32 player maps, dropping slightly with extremely heavy action.

Counter-Strike: Source: All maxed, solid 60fps.

Portal 2: Solid 60FPS Maxed 16xaf 4xaa

Oblivion: This game is funky, and can slow down over time. After a quick test of a new install with my card, it's a solid 60fps with the occasional stuttering due to loading new cells. After high-res texture packs and enemy/environment mods, the stutters increase and the FPS can drop slightly if to many enemies are on the screen.

Sims 3: Max settings solid 60 with some HD stuttering.

Edit: Also, be careful when overclocking your card. The stock design for the GTX 570 uses a 4+2 VRM design and its been causing a lot of cards to die with even a small overclock and no voltage change. The Asus one I listed and at least 3 others use a non-reference 6+2 VRM design which is much safer for overclocking, so I'd check around to see what yours is before you overclock it, if you ever decide to do it.
    Last edited by Knightsun; 2011-06-14 at 06:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickensoup23 View Post
    From all the benchmarks and reviews I've seen, almost any card that's mid range + (such as the 560Ti) can handle any game on ultra, but once you start tweaking with AA & AF, you see your frames drop like there's no tomorrow.

---------- Post added 2011-06-14 at 01:45 AM ----------

Fire extinguisher ready
    My 6970 2GB runs >full ultra< at 1080p @ 20fps~ in 25 raids with an e8500 @base 3.16, to clarify the settings:

(Clicky!)

I've yet to get Witcher 2, and I probably won't get Metro... Seems a little like DeadSpace 2 which was a disappointment
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

Quote Originally Posted by Jadesaturn View Post

GTX 570 is the second best card on the market in high end video, only behind the GTX580.

I use a superclocked 570, and run Witcher 2 on ultra with 0 lag. In fact the blurring effect when changing your camera is so good it gives me a headache and I can't play the game.

I heard that on Witcher II, all you need is to disable Ubersampling & you can max out the rest (EVERYTHING else). As for Metro, still a demanding game.

Any tips on high how I should put Multisampling/Anti-Aliasing/Anisotropic Filtering in games? I know AA smoothens edges, but I'm not sure what everything else does and how high I should go to not lose too much performance/nice graphics.
    Last edited by Chickensoup23; 2011-06-14 at 06:18 AM.

I have that exact card (EVGA GTX570) and one of my guildies does too, and both of us after a while of use experienced major, MAJOR (like, unplayable major) graphical artifacting and graphics card drivers going corrupt. I will be RMA'ing it soon. Hope you have better luck in this department.

As far as the graphical power of it goes, it's great when it works properly. Played Crysis 2 full everything including AA. Played Crysis Warhead full graphics and x2 AA at around 40 FPS. MY CPU is an old Wolfdale dual core E8600 (maybe 8500, can't remember), so I think there's bottlenecking going on though.

Quote Originally Posted by Farahawnee View Post
    Not having an authenticator on your account is like not locking your windows because your front door is locked, and then wondering how a burglar got in.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot1291 View Post
    I have that exact card (EVGA GTX570) and one of my guildies does too, and both of us after a while of use experienced major, MAJOR (like, unplayable major) graphical artifacting and graphics card drivers going corrupt. I will be RMA'ing it soon. Hope you have better luck in this department.

As far as the graphical power of it goes, it's great when it works properly. Played Crysis 2 full everything including AA. Played Crysis Warhead full graphics and x2 AA at around 40 FPS. MY CPU is an old Wolfdale dual core E8600 (maybe 8500, can't remember), so I think there's bottlenecking going on though.
    Curious, as EVGA offers lifetime warranty and are one of the most reputable brands out there along MSi & Asus. I'm running a 2600k @ 4.7 GHz, so there shouldn't be any bottlenecking going on.

I guess I'll tweak with AA & MSampling to see what makes the biggest difference. Is Fraps (not recording, but running) still accurate to measure frames?
    Last edited by Chickensoup23; 2011-06-14 at 06:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickensoup23 View Post
    I heard that on Witcher II, all you need is to disable Ubersampling & you can max out the rest (EVERYTHING else). As for Metro, still a demanding game.

Any tips on high how I should put Multisampling/Anti-Aliasing/Anisotropic Filtering in games? I know AA smoothens edges, but I'm not sure what everything else does and how high I should go to not lose too much performance/nice graphics.

I guess I'll tweak with AA & MSampling to see what makes the biggest difference. Is Fraps (not recording, but running) still accurate to measure frames?
    AA - Enhances quality of textures by using Mipmaps (use google map and zoom in/out, that's a simple and noticeable example)
    MSAA (less intensive) / FSAA = Super Sampling (more intensive, "ubersampling" from Witcher 2) - Decreases jagged and pixelated edges.

There's almost no real visual difference between MSAA x8 and x16 to most people, and again with FSAA the difference between it and MSAA x16 is negligible to most.

Yes, Fraps running but not recording still shows the correct (approximate) FPS value, as you can see in my screenshot above, WoW shows 46.7 and Fraps shows 46.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

I am about to buy a computer that has this graphics card (it's a pre-built pc, was gonna build by my self but this one was slightly cheaper than buying the individual components).

It has the GTX570 (1.28Gb) and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it powering 2 displays or a 3D display? I am buying the latter and was wondering how it would fare. I don't thing the motherboard/case could fit a second one if I wanted to put them in SLI so that isn't really an option (Asus P67 Sabertooth, case Corsair Graphite 600T).

If it is going to be hugely detrimental to my performance... i might go with 2x GTX560Ti in SLI and build a PC myself - what do you guys think?

EDIT: person who advised me obviously wasn't well enough informed... it seems that 2x gtx 570 could fit if that were necessary (same company sells a pc with identical case and mobo with sli 570s) ... although to me that seems like it might just be unnecessary.
    Last edited by Ledzee; 2011-06-14 at 11:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadesaturn View Post

Obvious lack of computer knowledge is obvious.
    I hear the 580 still has issues with The Witcher 2.
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/292?vs=306
    Also, 6970 begs to differ with your "Second" GPU claim.

Congrats on the 570, I'm still sitting on a pair of 460's, sigh. SLI and WOW don't mix to well

Deleted
    i was actually thinking of getting this card (a MSI GeForce GTX 570 OC Twin FrozR III Power Edition), but after reading comments on here i'm not so sure. paying that kind of money for a card that cannot run with completely maxed settings seems like a waste.

been putting it off for so long, that at this rate, i may as well wait for the bloody 600 series and hope they perform better for the price tag...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crazypearce View Post
    been putting it off for so long, that at this rate, i may as well wait for the bloody 600 series and hope they perform better for the price tag...
    The jump from 500 to 600 series should be a lot better than 400 to 500. AMD and NVIDIA's current line-ups are the "tock" part of their productions. They're based off the same manufacturing processes as the last generation, just optimized for reduced energy consumption/heat/noise.
    Mind you, its going to be a while for the 600 series to hit shelved. My best suggestion would be to get a GTX580, and sell it once the 600 series hits to get a new card.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Quote Originally Posted by crazypearce View Post
    paying that kind of money for a card that cannot run with completely maxed settings seems like a waste..
    It can DEFINITELY run everything maxed, its just that here, we're just talking about extremely high-end options, that affect performance radically, such as 16x AA or such - options that brings ANY card (except extreme setups such as Synthaxxx's) to its knees on a recent game.

The 570 is still in the top 3 cards (single-GPU) in the market today, being REALLY close to the 6970. It's even better in some games. Overall, a very capable card.

Deleted
    so a 6970 is better than a 570? cause i can get an msi 6970 for around 30 or 40 quid cheaper than the 570. i'd be running on 1900 by 1080 if that makes any difference.

sorry to be a bit OT but it saves starting a whole new discussion.