Mumble... any help?

Problem:
    Need to download Mumble for raiding--don't know why we're not using vent or skype but w/e--however, the program isn't allowing me to connect to the guild's server.

Details:
    I'm using a Mac but my operating system is a little older (OS X Leopard) and isn't compatable with the latest version of Mumble (1.2.3). I had to download an older version that was compatable (1.1.8) so I could run the software. The problem is when I type in the IP address and port for the server I keep getting the same error message: You have been disconnected from the server. From what I know from using Ventrilo this error message usually occurs when I don't put in the right password or messed up the address in some way. However, there is no password and I've checked and retyped and double checked that I have the correct information multiple times. Because I'm running an older version, there is no option to run a certificate wizard--which is how Mumble's FAQ section says to create an account. If I go under "Server Browser" I can look up random servers and connect to them, but for some reason this software will not allow me to connect to my guild's server (Every other guild member can connect, even ones using Mac). Anyone help?

Side Notes (Read before posting unhelpful comments):
    1. The trouble-shooting technicians for Mumble are not helpful... When I first downloaded the software, I tried three versions that were incompatible with my operating system before I asked for help. The solution? Try another version, which left me going through about 8 more before I finally found one that worked. When I couldn't connect to the server, I again went to the trouble-shooting technicians. This one said "Sorry, we only offer help to those running the latest version, download 1.2.3 then we can help". I went back a day later after getting even more frustraited and saying that I was told to download an older version... the SAME technician says, "As I told you before we only troubleshoot the latest version" and cut me off. I've tried to request help two more times getting the same technician... and I don't want to talk to this guy anymore because he's being a dick as I was told to download an older "compatible" version but I can't get it working on my own, and now have this customer service rep. who refuses to look at the situation with some level of understanding.

2. Yes, I know its Mumble and not Vent, Team-Speak, Skype, or whatever the hell voice chat you think is best... I don't care. My guild is using this now, and I have to use it or I don't raid. Telling me to get something else or telling my guild to use something else isn't constructive.

2b. Telling me to get a new guild also isn't helpful.

3. Yes, I'm using a Mac not PC, which I'll agree is no where near the quality of a PC for certain things... like gaming. However, my job involves a lot of graphic design and quite frankly Mac is way better for design software, such as Adobe among other things, than a PC. I'm also not going to buy another computer just so I can play a game. If I had the expendable income to pay for two $2000 computers I would... but I don't.

4. Using another computer to run Mumble isn't exactly an option. I have a home desktop, but there is no real way for me to run the desktop so I can use Mumble and sit anywhere and have my other computer running WoW.

4b. Also WoW will not be installed on my desktop because I'm not going to use this for gaming...If I was lucky I would be running about 1 fps trying to do 25 mans.

Anyone know what the problem might be or have any useful suggestions?
    Last edited by Traduce; 2011-06-14 at 01:39 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Traduce View Post
    such as Adobe among other things, than a PC.
    This has been false for the last few versions. Significantly inferior acceleration capabilities, and inferior memory management on the OS-X versions has made the Windows versions superior. This obviously ignoring the hardware range available to the common Windows system.

Anyway, moving on. I'll have to ask if theres a particular reason for not upgrading to 10.6 ($30) - which should solve the problem you're having.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-06-14 at 01:46 PM.

Deleted
    well, my guild uses mumble and i know that the server the officer set up was only compatible with the latest mumble (1.2.3). if you didn't download that version, you just simply couldn't connect. i don't know if it's possible for the admin to change this at all?

and when i first installed it there was two mumble applications. one was the version number and the other was backwards compatible client. the backwards compatible version would not connect to the server, but the regular one does. make sure you open the right client also.

aside from that i'm not sure what else you can do apart from upgrade your OS as mumble 1.2.3 is supported there.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    This has been false for the last few versions. Significantly inferior acceleration capabilities, and inferior memory management on the OS-X versions has made the Windows versions superior. This obviously ignoring the hardware range available to the common Windows system.
    I'm still running CS4 and believe me Mac is superior. Considering this operating system (Lepard/Snow Leopard) is comparable to Windows XP/Vista... but then again I'm a few years behind and I haven't been able to touch CS5 on Mac or PC you could be correct on this.

Anyway, moving on. I'll have to ask if theres a particular reason for not upgrading to 10.6 ($30) - which should solve the problem you're having.
    Actually that's not a bad idea. Hopefully I should be able to get a new computer in 3-4 months, but that doesn't fix my short term goal of raiding this week. Upgrading might be something I'm able to do in the next day or so.

---------- Post added 2011-06-14 at 06:59 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by crazypearce View Post
    and when i first installed it there was two mumble applications. one was the version number and the other was backwards compatible client. the backwards compatible version would not connect to the server, but the regular one does. make sure you open the right client also.
    Did that still doesn't work... considering how soon I can make it to the Apple store to upgrade.

Well, have I got some good news for you!

Your Mac is a PC.

Bet you didn't see that one coming, did you?

Seriously though, stop confusing the term 'PC', thinking it's the opposite of a Mac.

OT: As for your Mumble problems, there isn't much you can do without a newer version of Mumble.

Quoting their own site, "This release uses a new protocol between the client and server, which means a 1.2.0 client is only compatible with 1.2.0 or newer servers, and a 1.1.8 client can't connect to a 1.2.0 server.

http://mumble.sourceforge.net/1.2.0

10+ Year Old Account
    Snow Leopard and Lion are very cheap.

Just upgrade. The difference between Leopard and Snow Leopard is great, the difference between Leopard and Lion is even better.

Install the latest version of Mumble. (1.2.3.)

Restart your computer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps OP has a G4/G5 processor or something similar?

I'm in that club. Can't upgrade my PowerMac G5 to snow leopard

It's officially my garageband/Final Cut 6 computerthingie.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowt View Post
    Well, have I got some good news for you!

Your Mac is a PC.

Bet you didn't see that one coming, did you?

Seriously though, stop confusing the term 'PC', thinking it's the opposite of a Mac.
    OMG F U, Windows vs. Apple vs. Linux. I know PC means personal computer, you knew what I was referring to, the semantics thread is >>>>>>>>> not here.

OT: I've tried to download 1.2.0 already its incompatible with my operating system. Only 1.1.4 and 1.1.8 work with what I'm using. But thanks for trying to help.

---------- Post added 2011-06-14 at 07:52 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Halym View Post
    Just upgrade. The difference between Leopard and Snow Leopard is great, the difference between Leopard and Lion is even better.
    Lion comes out in July, not quite helpful to raiding this week, but I'm going to upgrade to Snow Leopard as soon as I can.

---------- Post added 2011-06-14 at 07:53 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfonia View Post
    Install the latest version of Mumble. (1.2.3.)

Restart your computer.
    Read the post... 1.2.3 is incompatible with this version of OS X. Thank you, for being so helpful in pointing out a criteria for ojection I've already ruled out.

---------- Post added 2011-06-14 at 07:55 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    Perhaps OP has a G4/G5 processor or something similar?
    I'm in that club. Can't upgrade my PowerMac G5 to snow leopard
    It's officially my garageband/Final Cut 6 computerthingie.
    I really don't know if it is or isn't I'm reading through the specs for Snow Leopard on Apple's website right now... and garage band... yea.
    Last edited by Traduce; 2011-06-14 at 03:56 PM.

Deleted
    I really don't know if it is or isn't I'm reading through the specs for Snow Leopard on Apple's website right now... and garage band... yea.
    It would really help if you could identify which Macintosh model & year edition it is you're using; its trivial for us to figure out compatibility after that.

I'm still running CS4 and believe me Mac is superior
    CS4 is the version where its particularly noticable. The Mac OS version is incompatible with 64-bit registers and the additional registers present on 64-bit processors, which considerably slows it down on complex projects. Its also incapable of using more than 4gb of RAM, which makes the Windows version far faster on heavy jobs. Mac CS 5.0 fixes the lack of 64-bit.

Also as said before, its also far slower for all projects which use your graphics card to assist with some of the workload; due to the extremely poorly optimized Mac OS GPU drivers. 10.6 has some improvements on this - but unfortunately Mac OS is still half a decade behind when it comes to offloading graphics and other tasks to the GPU.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know garageband is king :P

Easy way to check if you got a powerpc-cpu in there is just by clicking the apple logo on the far upper left corner and then click "about this mac". But the last powerpc-mac released must've been in 2005 or something.

I don't know anything about Mac so I can't help you with your problem..but on your first post you said why not us vent or skype..

Well I use vent all the time. I used mumble briefly.

Mumble blew me away. The latency was amazing, nobody ever lagged and it just all around felt superior to vent.

It would really help if you could identify which Macintosh model & year edition it is you're using; its trivial for us to figure out compatibility after that.
    2007 MacBook Pro 15"
    Mac OS X version 10.4.11
    2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB (2 x 2GB) of 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    500GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm

System Requirements for Snow Leopard:
    Mac computer with an Intel processor
    1GB of memory
    5GB of available disk space
    DVD drive for installation

Yes, it will work, just need to buy the discs.

---------- Post added 2011-06-14 at 08:32 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Trippny View Post
    I don't know anything about Mac so I can't help you with your problem..but on your first post you said why not us vent or skype..

Well I use vent all the time. I used mumble briefly.

Mumble blew me away. The latency was amazing, nobody ever lagged and it just all around felt superior to vent.
    At the end of the post I said this guild is using Mumble and I can't force 24 other people to switch because of me... its easier to replace me. Every guild I've been in has used Ventrilo but this one is using Mumble, probably because its better.