Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

ArenaNet: No box expansions for GW2 - new quests/content bought via in game store

No Standalone Expansions for Guild Wars 2
    13 June 2011
    http://www.gamerzines.com/mmo/news/g...xpansions.html

"At this time we don't plan to continue with the standalone expansion model," revealed Guild Wars 2's lead designer (ArenaNet's Eric Flannum).
    Rrather than putting out fully fledged expansions to explore new classes, skills and cultural flavours ArenaNet will simply add new regions, via the in-game store.

So now we having B2P not total free after 1 time buy of game
    Last edited by Xema-Do; 2011-06-14 at 05:01 PM.

It was always B2P.............

Also your post is extremely misleading, they said they're planning on having expansions (like Eye of the North) NOT stand-alone campaigns (like Factions/Nightfall). There will still probably be box expansions for GW2.

Edit: Wow, so I was sure that didn't sound right and checked the article. Not only are you taking it out of context but that second quotation is a complete guess by the writer who misinterpreted what they were saying.

Double Edit: Oh, just noticed you're that extremely obnoxious blizz-hating SWTOR fanboi that everyone has been hating on recently.
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2011-06-14 at 04:04 PM.

Yeah, it has always been B2P.

It seems who-ever-is-making-Guild-Wars-2 is a business too!

Who would've known, really!

Quote Originally Posted by Xema-Do View Post
    No Standalone Expansions for Guild Wars 2
    13 June 2011
    http://www.gamerzines.com/mmo/news/g...xpansions.html

"At this time we don't plan to continue with the standalone expansion model," revealed Guild Wars 2's lead designer (ArenaNet's Eric Flannum).
    Rrather than putting out fully fledged expansions to explore new classes, skills and cultural flavours ArenaNet will simply add new regions, via the in-game store.

So now we having B2P not total free after 1 time buy of game
    You're really annoying.

If a game doesn't charge subscriptions, it needs a way to maintain income. So rather than release expansions, you purchase the content you want through microtransactions (and every MMO has microtransactions at this point). You can still buy the game and play it for free forever, you just can't experience all the new content they come out with (I'm sure there will be free updates), just like you can't do Cata content in WoW without actually owning the expansion.

What's your complaint again? Oh yeah, you're an idiot (I'm basing this off the dozen or so posts of yours I have read).

Quote Originally Posted by Rivehn View Post
    Hm i don't like this one bit. I mean for the people who can't pay online this is pretty much a ball buster.
    Or at least put out some type of Card that allows you to put in a code to get the content from the store.
    Ignore anyting this guy posts. All Eric Flannum said is that there won't be standalone campaigns, it doesn't confirm or deny anything about expansions/new content. The part about content via microtransaction is pulled out of the author of the article's ass.

Is it going to be like GW1? That's what I'm interested in, if it's going to be like LOTRO where every bit of content is released into the ingame-shop and purchased for absurd prices then no, that sucks.

I'd rather they released a full expansion/campaign in the ingame shop, like Factions/Nightfall, instead of releasing every region as a standalone like LOTRO.
    I.M.F - Imposing Misery Forever.

Q: What's the difference between fascism and libertarianism?
    A: Under fascism, you are starved of your freedom. Under libertarianism, you are free to starve.

As we suspect that rather than putting out fully fledged expansions to explore new classes, skills and cultural flavours ArenaNet will simply add new regions, via the in-game store
    There assuming it will be in the store, its not confirmed in any way

We did ask Eric what exactly would be sold in-game and even though he wasn't able to give specifics, he did point out that items will be similar to "the kinds of things" included in the first game.
    I didnt play the first Guild Wars but i dont believe they had expansion like content in the cash shop

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    (I'm sure there will be free updates)
    Provide website to finding this information. I give good quote dev's make, you give 2 cent prediction without base.

Provide website to finding this information. I give good quote dev's make, you give 2 cent prediction without base.
    It's not a quote from the dev, it's a quote from the author of the article who is taking shots in the dark. No one has any confirmation about anything, but it's more likely that there WILL be free updates than not since they did with GW1.

Im curious when did a random author from a random webiste become a dev for the game there reporting on?

Aye, it's just they won't be making standalone campaigns. The expansions will be like EotN.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Like others have said, this post is misleading. ArenaNet is saying they won't have standalone campaigns like GW1 had. I am sure they will have expansions for big content releases.

15+ Year Old Account
    It reads as though they won't be releasing any expansions and instead all expansions will be done through the in-game (or website) store as "micro"-transactions
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by georgevonfranken View Post
    Im curious when did a random author from a random webiste become a dev for the game there reporting on?
    article quote:
    In an exclusive interview with GamerZines, ArenaNet's Eric Flannum has revealed that Guild Wars 2 will not get the standalone expansion treatment.

For the original, ArenaNet released two standalone expansions - Factions and Nightfall - which offered two completely new continents, professions and campaigns to play through, but for the sequel there will be a new strategy.

"At this time we don't plan to continue with the standalone expansion model," revealed Guild Wars 2's lead designer.

read article in future next time then post

Yeah this is all tosh.

And by doing a quick search of the OP's posts, everything he says is nonsense.
    Lolinternet.

How many useless threads full of misinformation is this guy going to post, and under how many different names?
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

i'm not sure i understood this... does that mean that one needs to buy content from a game shop?
    Gamers are too obsessed with the death of games. Imagine if all that energy was channeled into the LIFE of games.

article quote:
    In an exclusive interview with GamerZines, ArenaNet's Eric Flannum has revealed that Guild Wars 2 will not get the standalone expansion treatment.

For the original, ArenaNet released two standalone expansions - Factions and Nightfall - which offered two completely new continents, professions and campaigns to play through, but for the sequel there will be a new strategy.

"At this time we don't plan to continue with the standalone expansion model," revealed Guild Wars 2's lead designer.

read article in future next time then post
    I did read the article and your quote about the content being in the in game store is just from the author the dev said nothing regarding that at all