Tank worst to best

like the title says based on heroics old and Zan which tanks are do you find to be the easiest to heal and can hold threat the best: (Healers only)

things to include- your healing class and your opinion on tanks from best to worst and why that order

ill go first.

Holy paladin

1.Druid - never squishy, and are able to hold the most threat while maintaining good damage
    2.Warrior - losts of CD's and good AE threat/stuns to make healing them slightly easier
    3.Deathknight - good AE threat but at times feel squishy. most tend to have waiting on mana issues and pulling while your afk
    4.Paladin - the worst tanks imo, most tend to have low mitigation so they take many big hits, they tank to have a hard time holding threat and half the time forget rightous fury.

Remember this is solely opinion based and i know that there are people that are good at each tank that defy what i have pointed out
    Now what our your opinions.

Sounds like you ran with some craptastic paladin tanks. As a paladin tank, I apologize for them.

I mostly heal on my Priest or Druid, not that it matters. I'm not going to generalize tanks by the people that play them, but by their capabilities if played correctly.

1. Warrior (lots of tools)
    2. Paladin (same as above)
    3. Death Knight (good magic avoidance, and good aoe threat, but after that meh)
    4. Druid (lacks the tools that warriors and paladins have, but has a nice health pool)
    Last edited by muto; 2011-06-14 at 10:44 PM.

Warriors are and always will be the best ones

well some tank classes require more skill that others (E.g. a terrible druid tank is easily the worst, whereas a bad pally still does alright), assuming a high level of skill
    Disc priest healing

1: Druid
    2:Warrior
    3:Pally
    4: DK

oh and nothing shits me more than pallys poping LOH when they have a pain supp + shield on or guardian spirit if im holy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloSoldier View Post
    oh and nothing shits me more than pallys poping LOH when they have a pain supp + shield on or guardian spirit if im holy
    It's not like you're gonna yell out milliseconds before you pop your CDs on the Paladin tank.
    I don't take chances when I'm tanking, if I had that ominous feeling of death's ringtone, I pop my cooldowns immediately, no point in saving a cooldown & dying. (I assume we're talking about LFD, not major raids where cooldowns have to be saved for certain boss abilities)
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...trife/advanced
    WoW: Winterstrife, Level 120 Human Paladin | ESO: Strife Valor, CP 610 Dunmer Magblade | GW2: Inquisitor Strife, Level 80 Human Renegede.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    I mostly heal on my Priest or Druid, not that it matters. I'm not going to generalize tanks by the people that play them, but by their capabilities if played correctly.

3. Death Knight (good magic avoidance, and good aoe threat, but after that meh)
    4. Druid (lacks the tools that warriors and paladins have, but has a nice health pool)
    and dk's dont have lots of tools......LOL?

Hard to say. But I think now its more about player not about class. If played properly then Paladin=Druid=DK=Warrior.

My healer is a disc priest.

My honest opinion is that it is totally related to the person behind the keyboard. In my opinion though, the worst tank is a poorly played DK. If a druid, warrior or pally fails to use defensive cooldowns ( ie is a facebreathing tank who just runs in and spams AOE), they can still survive. A DK who does the same thing gets toasted fast.

That said, a well-played DK is probably one of the easiest to heal (for a disc priest) if they are good at rotating their defensive cooldowns. I healed heroic SFK last night and the tank was the DK alt of a warrior tank. I almost dropped group when I saw his gear. Probably about ilvl 318 equipped with a 316 weapon. The DK was probably the easiest tank I ever healed in a full pug heroic. Perfect with defensive cooldowns, interrupts and always having stuff in front of him. Probably 95% of my healing was bubble, renew and smiting. Entire run, nobody died.

Conversely, I did a HOO with a tank with 200k hps who stacked stamina, never interrupted anything and constantly was in the middle of mobs (ie, half of them were behind him). It was a nightmare where I thought I was dpsing...I was spamming big heals every cd and always felt like I was 3 seconds away from the tank dying.

I have two tanks, a Pally and a Bear. The bear is about 6 ilvls higher, but I think the Pally is better. Avenger´s shield with interrupt is just very very useful when pugging, otherwise they feel the same to me. I also like the pally more because holy word (even at 20secs) is a nice cushion against a bad healer.

15+ Year Old Account
    Holy priest

1. Appropriately geared druid
    2. Appropriately geared paladin
    3. Appropriately geared warrior
    4. Approprately geared DK
    5. Poorly geared paladin
    6. Poorly geared warrior
    7. Poorly geared DK
    8. Poorly geared druid

And by poorly geared, I don't just mean Ilvl. Appropriate reforging, gemming, and enchanting.

Deleted
    Priest

1. Paladin (Raids), Warrior (dungeons)
    2. Warrior (Raids), Paladins (dungeons)
    3. Feral Druids
    4. Death Knights

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Yeah, we can fix your garbage disposal in no time folks.

Call a shield tank whenever a household item needs fixing.

On topic:

Haven't healed myself, but discussed the question with my former guild healers a lot.

Good paladins pre-WoG nerf were imba, I can tell you that from both the feedback of a healer and my own position as a protadin. In 344 ilvl gear, we were able to 2-man the dragon boss in VP with a resto shaman. He never went below 60-70% mana.

After the nerf we are pretty meh, lagging behind most tanks in heroics in terms of mitigation, if we are not overgearing the content ofc.

DKs and bears are very gear dependent and DKs are very skill dependent on top of that. Badly skilled/geared ones can be the biggest pain imaginable to heal, while those that are not can basically solo instances with a couple of hots/absorbs from the healer. Similar situation with bears.

Warrs are pretty solid, though skill cap is an issue also. If a warr knows to keep his debuffs up, rotate cooldowns and spell reflect stuff, he's very easy to heal. Otherwise, all you have is a tank with a lower than paladin's block chance.
    - Looks like they took him to some bolt hole in the Wounded Coast.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post
    My healer is a disc priest.

My honest opinion is that it is totally related to the person behind the keyboard. In my opinion though, the worst tank is a poorly played DK. If a druid, warrior or pally fails to use defensive cooldowns ( ie is a facebreathing tank who just runs in and spams AOE), they can still survive. A DK who does the same thing gets toasted fast.

That said, a well-played DK is probably one of the easiest to heal (for a disc priest) if they are good at rotating their defensive cooldowns. I healed heroic SFK last night and the tank was the DK alt of a warrior tank. I almost dropped group when I saw his gear. Probably about ilvl 318 equipped with a 316 weapon. The DK was probably the easiest tank I ever healed in a full pug heroic. Perfect with defensive cooldowns, interrupts and always having stuff in front of him. Probably 95% of my healing was bubble, renew and smiting. Entire run, nobody died.

Conversely, I did a HOO with a tank with 200k hps who stacked stamina, never interrupted anything and constantly was in the middle of mobs (ie, half of them were behind him). It was a nightmare where I thought I was dpsing...I was spamming big heals every cd and always felt like I was 3 seconds away from the tank dying.

I have two tanks, a Pally and a Bear. The bear is about 6 ilvls higher, but I think the Pally is better. Avenger´s shield with interrupt is just very very useful when pugging, otherwise they feel the same to me. I also like the pally more because holy word (even at 20secs) is a nice cushion against a bad healer.
    You sir Win !!! This Exactly, DKs have alot of CDs and they must use it!!! Not only for boss!! When you heal a DK that know how to use his CDs, interupt and does nice aoe threat!! Omg they are the best tank ever!!

For me its a little different

1.DK
    2.WARRIOR
    3.PALLY
    4.DRUID.
    [img][/img]

Holy Priest + Resto Shammy

1.Druid - Able to maintain aggro on large mobs.
    2.Paladin - Great defense and barely have to heal.
    3.Warrior - Overall good tank nothing special.
    4.Deathknight - Tend to pull slowly and generally lower on health.

I can't answer this from a healing standpoint, but as DPS, the tanks that I think do the best in holding aggro:

1) Pally
    2) DK (really, these two are tied)
    3) Bear
    4) Warrior

I've yet to find a warrior that can hold threat when I'm beating on a mob. I have Tricks of the Trade on a macro and I rarely have to use it on Paladins or DKs, but I find myself hitting it often with bears and spamming the hell out of it with Warriors.