Interwebz speeeed

I'll get right to it..
    I'm moving out soon and I will need some new interwebz.. The thing is though.. I have no clue about what to get speedwise or whatever it is :s
    I'll be the only one using it though, so there wont be any trouble with roomies overloading it with their dodgy downloads..
    I live in denmark and will be moving to copenhagen and I've been told to get 10mbit something something..
    Right.. as I said and as you might have noticed.. I'm 100% clueless, so please flame me there, but afterwards leave a small little piece of advice, pwrease?

10+ Year Old Account
    10Mbit is pretty low. MB is not Mb.
    One megabyte per second is eight megabits per second.

10+ Year Old Account
    What do you plan to use your internet connection for?
    a standard 2mb broadband sustains most individuals for all their gaming and browsing needs. and usually streaming needs too as long as you're not doing that while gaming.

10+ Year Old Account
    For the record, most internet companies broadcast speed as Megabits per seconds, not megabytes.
    So if your internet company says "60 mbits download", you'll only get 8 MB/s.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    However, in the world of home connections, 8MB/s would be massive download speeds. Even 10Mb would work out at 1.25MB actual download speeds, which again, isn't all that terrible. Depends where the OP is as well.
    Meh, I'm not satisfied with 2MB/s, so I may have high expectations.

10mbps is plenty
    my service is 6-8mbps and I'm fine with it... heck I do all my downloads through a vpn (no more annoying internet interruptions >< due to mediadefender clowns) which gives roughly 1mbps tops and that's still plenty fast to download movies/shows/etc much faster than I can watch them.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Deleted
    I really depending on what you do online and how much stuff you stream and download.

For browsing the internet you really don't need much more than 1-2 Mbit bandwidth. Gaming too isn't very bandwidth heavy unless you start downloading patches etc. What matters more in those cases is having a reliable and low ping. So you definately want a cable or ADSL connection.

That said, less than 5 Mbit really limits you in terms of internet content consumption. If you want to watch videos in HD, download large files or participate in filesharing, then you'll want more badnwidth.

Personally I'd recommend anything between 3 and 10 Mbits. More than 10 is excessive 90% of the time but if it's cheap...why not.