Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Notch is on yet another vacation

Will this game ever get finished? Or released without being completely riddled with bugs?
    I know I'm not alone on the situation, but I think the money has gone to his head, especially with recent release of Minecraft coming to the 360 & Xpheria PLAY.

He posted something about it on his twitter if you're asking for a source.
    The only people you have control over is yourself. If you want to make a point, leave proper, factual replies.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Who cares? It's summer. I'd say he deserves a vacation.

15+ Year Old Account
    yeah it's getting kinda BS honestly he spends more time doing random shit then actually working, this is what he is getfting paid for after all. but then again when he releases the modding API he is legally allowed to take any mod of his choice and add it to his game, so modders will finish the game for him.
    Unfortunately, until the people at Blizzard take time to quit explaining why they are right and anyone who disagrees is wrong, they are not going to even hear everyone speaking out desperately trying to warn them the ship is sinking.
    the problems driving players from WoW aren't content or the age of the game, the problem is how the game experience and design philosophy are being undermined by Blizzard's hubris and greed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Who cares? It's summer. I'd say he deserves a vacation.
    He owns a company, he has a deadline to meet. With each twitter update I feel he loses more faith with the gaming community that he will ever finish Minecraft.

He has a real job, it's not like he's in school anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Baygon View Post
    yeah it's getting kinda BS honestly he spends more time doing random shit then actually working, this is what he is getfting paid for after all. but then again when he releases the modding API he is legally allowed to take any mod of his choice and add it to his game, so modders will finish the game for him.
    I can't remember the name of the game, but this happened somewhere else where the modding community basically finished the game for them.

If that does happen I hope the community optimizes his code... Such a terrible pile of shit imo
    The only people you have control over is yourself. If you want to make a point, leave proper, factual replies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doirdyn View Post
    Will this game ever get finished? Or released without being completely riddled with bugs?
    I know I'm not alone on the situation, but I think the money has gone to his head, especially with recent release of Minecraft coming to the 360 & Xpheria PLAY.

He posted something about it on his twitter if you're asking for a source.
    In a way the game is already released. The "official" release date changes absolutely.nothing. All he is really going to do is keep adding patches and fixing bugs. The thing is, he came out with the beta when it was first made, most games take years of development, he just made the outline and put it right out for people to test. So, technically, it is going really fast.

I wouldn't worry about it at all, because it means absolutely nothing. Zip. Zero.

Also: He owes you absolutely nothing. At all. You bought the game, you don't pay a subscription, he doesn't have to do shit. He does it because he wants to, he already has enough money to last a hundred lifetimes.
    Last edited by Zatheyll; 2011-06-15 at 05:28 AM.

I think the game will 'never' be done. Even after the release date I imagine we will see patches, and fixes, a long with the modding - its safe to say Minecraft won't end till people stop playing.

Isn't there more then just Notch working on the game now as well? I imagine, that development still continues with or without him, and that he can safely take a break. I'm no Minecraft fan though, and I don't the current state of the game.

Deleted
    Minecraft is long out beta if you ask me, you should just see the game as it is now with upcoming patches now and than with new content like other games. Beta is just his excuse for "this game can still get better"...and honestly I think that's a crap attitude towards the players who paid.

15+ Year Old Account
    the thing that confuses me is how Notch did MORE work and released MORE updates when he was alone coding by himself, but with 5 people in his team and 2 or 3 of them coding they seem to release less content then before? how does that make sense?
    Unfortunately, until the people at Blizzard take time to quit explaining why they are right and anyone who disagrees is wrong, they are not going to even hear everyone speaking out desperately trying to warn them the ship is sinking.
    the problems driving players from WoW aren't content or the age of the game, the problem is how the game experience and design philosophy are being undermined by Blizzard's hubris and greed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yooya View Post
    I think the game will 'never' be done. Even after the release date I imagine we will see patches, and fixes, a long with the modding - its safe to say Minecraft won't end till people stop playing.

Isn't there more then just Notch working on the game now as well? I imagine, that development still continues with or without him, and that he can safely take a break. I'm no Minecraft fan though, and I don't the current state of the game.
    Mojang has quite a team actually, all working on the game. Also, Notch isn't really working on the 360 version, he is just overseeing it. The 360 version isn't even a straight port from the computer version, but quite a bit different also. (Might even have a different name?)

The game definitely never will be "done", they will keep adding new content until they feel like they don't need to anymore or it has lost profit. Not sure when they will determine that though seeing as Minecraft is not a monthly game, so we basically get free content.

---------- Post added 2011-06-15 at 05:38 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Minecraft is long out beta if you ask me, you should just see the game as it is now with upcoming patches now and than with new content like other games. Beta is just his excuse for "this game can still get better"...and honestly I think that's a crap attitude towards the players who paid.
    How is it a crap attitude? If he believes the game can still get better, it can still get better. He will have that same attitude even when the game is "officially" released. All the beta is at this point is a tag on the game name. The game is already released really.

Quote Originally Posted by Doirdyn View Post
    I can't remember the name of the game, but this happened somewhere else where the modding community basically finished the game for them.
    I smirked thinking you were/are making a tongue-in-cheek reference to WoW, but maybe I'm giving you too much credit? I figured you might be thinking about Baldur's Gate, where huge sections of the game were omitted and modders added them back in. Honestly though, there are a lot of companies that have benefitted from modders without compensation.. after all, just think of Team Fortress Classic..

OT: It could be worse. As much fun as I've had screwing around with Dwarf Fortress, Tarn Adams has had that game in Alpha for years and years, and makes a few thousand a month in Paypal donations. For an alpha product.
    Last edited by sephrael; 2011-06-15 at 05:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Minecrafts "release" is nothing but a milestone, it's already released :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sephrael View Post
    I smirked thinking you were/are making a tongue-in-cheek reference to WoW, but maybe I'm giving you too much credit? I figured you might be thinking about Baldur's Gate, where huge sections of the game were omitted and modders added them back in. Honestly though, there are a lot of companies that have benefitted from modders without compensation.. after all, just think of Team Fortress Classic..
    No, I remember seeing a reference about the game in question in another thread, the modding community playing the beta basically finished the game for this team and turned out better than the company itself could've finished it probably.

The true longevity of Minecraft relies on the modding. Notches "updates" are too far and few between and when they do come out they are pretty disappointing. There are some amazing mods and adventure maps however.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorfie View Post
    The true longevity of Minecraft relies on the modding. Notches "updates" are too far and few between and when they do come out they are pretty disappointing. There are some amazing mods and adventure maps however.
    I love all the "hacks" personally. Some of the mods just feel really half-assed and don't add enough content to entertain me, or they add too much in one mod. With half-assed, I mean they lack multiplayer functionality

DOTA is another example where the mod/map may have actually been more popular then Warcraft 3 itself.

Wait, minecraft isn't already released? /sarcastic rhetoric question

I think it's really ridiculous for people to be so frigging bitchy about a game that's already worth the price-tag in what they so dubiously called "beta" stage -- it's long since been perfectly playable, and has a metric fuckton of mods to adjust those little things you don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Wait, minecraft isn't already released? /sarcastic rhetoric question

I think it's really ridiculous for people to be so frigging bitchy about a game that's already worth the price-tag in what they so dubiously called "beta" stage -- it's long since been perfectly playable, and has a metric fuckton of mods to adjust those little things you don't like.
    agree completely, ive got way more than my money's worth from that game already, i would love more to be added and it to actually be released but the game itself is fine how it is for the current price modders will do the rest

15+ Year Old Account
    This kind of amazes me that people would complain about a man going on vacation.. Minecraft is great.. and cheap.. and fun.. I get that more needs to be added to the game to make it worth it's final price of what I think is a whopping 30$, but come on.. Just because your not overseeing the work he does, doesn't mean he's not doing it and because Minecraft is a game it doesn't mean it's not stressful to work on.

Let's try and get out of this mentality that if someone isn't working on something 100% of the time for us then they're evil an lazy. He's human, he's allowed a vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by Elementium View Post
    This kind of amazes me that people would complain about a man going on vacation.. Minecraft is great.. and cheap.. and fun.. I get that more needs to be added to the game to make it worth it's final price of what I think is a whopping 30$, but come on.. Just because your not overseeing the work he does, doesn't mean he's not doing it and because Minecraft is a game it doesn't mean it's not stressful to work on.

Let's try and get out of this mentality that if someone isn't working on something 100% of the time for us then they're evil an lazy. He's human, he's allowed a vacation.
    Awesome post :P

Not to forget it's still in beta. Everything is subject to change. The game right now is perfectly playable even on Multiplayer. I have had hours and hours of fun out of it.

As long as it is an Indie (Independent Developer) game you can't really expect him to be there ALL the time 24/7.
    Synit 110 - Orc Elemental Shaman [Active]

The guy probably does tons of work every day trying to make it better, I'd want a break too :P