What should I do if my Apple laptop wont on battery power?

When it is plugged in to a power outlet, my 6 month old 13" Apple MacBook runs just fine. As soon as I unplug it from the outlet, it shuts down and wont turn on, unless it's plugged back in. When I look at the power level of the battery, it says, "Battery is not charging," even though it is plugged into external power; it also reads that the battery is charged at 85%. What is wrong, and what should I do?

Deleted
    Dead battery. The battery will need to be replaced.

check and see if it has bloated, like physically. mine did, was the first sign of a dead battery

Deleted
    Bad battery, get apple to replace it

Deleted
    Buy a PC? O.o

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    how is that possible i have a 6yr old hp notebook and the battery still works though not for more then 5-10 min under heavy load
    6 years arnt 6 months. he's battery is just bad and will get replaced.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, the battery will have to be replaced. ) Contact apple support.

Deleted
    as said, your battery is not working as it should, this is why your computer dies as soon as you take out the power cord, there is no power to the computer anymore.

to find an apple repair center, go to www.apple.xx, xx being your country code (such as .se if you're Swedish or .com for an international address), click on support in the top right corner and in the menu to the right there should be a link saying "find service place".

then I highly recommend that you call the number displayed and ask them about your issue.

either way in the end you need to take it (or send it in) to an apple repair center and they will replace it free of charge seeing as it's a production error.