Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    Last sentence. : P He's basically saying that 120 Hz = 3d or useless.
    Sure ok, so in his opinion an extra 60Hz isn't a big difference (especially for the price premium) 8-) And to be very honest, to alot of people it's not going to be... Sure we can all discuss the optimums, and don't get me wrong I really LOVE my 120Hz 3D screen (Samsung 2233RZ) and I do use it at 120Hz when not playing 3D. Doesn't mean I feel sick everytime I look at my 2nd screen or laptop running at 60Hz.....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wooshiewoo View Post
    edit - also forgot to say that i dont think there are many true 2 ms monitors in existence either. True 2 ms has to be measured BLACK to WHITE to BLACK, and not the GREY to GREY 2 ms that most companies are intent on advertising these days.
    This does need to be stressed. Just about all 2ms monitors, especially so in the cheaper $200/€200 and below range, have quite noticeable traces of ghosting. It is not uncommon for these 2ms monitors to be beaten by more expensive 5ms, and sometimes even 8ms monitors; which even includes several IPS based ones.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-06-18 at 12:53 PM.

edit - also forgot to say that i dont think there are many true 2 ms monitors in existence either. True 2 ms has to be measured BLACK to WHITE to BLACK, and not the GREY to GREY 2 ms that most companies are intent on advertising these days.

Grey to Grey measurements are rubbish and do not show repsonse time at all. Only Black to Black measurement wil show true ms.

Your 2 ms monitor (or TV) is likely to actually be 4 or 8 ms.
    While I disagree with a lot of your clumping Monitors and TVs together, this is spot on.
    And I agree with DarkXale, it cannot be stressed enough.

Deleted
    Could you explain the difference between modern day monitors and modern day Tv's?

I have a Samsung 32 inch advertised TV.
    I also own a Samsung 23 inch advertised monitor.

Both of them have their HDMI/USB/VGA/Component/Scart connections.

I can use my TV for my PC and there is no noticable difference between that and my monitor. The TV displays an excellent viewing experience as a PC monitor.

The only difference i can see between modern day TV's and modern day monitors is the resolution and refresh rates.

If you can explain why they differ any more than that, please feel free
    Modern day TV makes me scream 40"+, 32" is hardly bigger than my monitor.

Deleted
    The difference between TVs and Monitors are down to:
    1) The driving chip
    2) Presence of a TV Tuner

For the chip, TVs interpolate inputs and commonly saturate the signal in order to provide a more vivid visual experience. This is fine and arguably preferable for movies, and works fairly well with games - but suboptimal where accuracy is of concern. This processing takes time to do, and as such input lag is often significant. These functions can quite often be turned off however.
    The second should be fairly self explanatory.

Beyond that - it comes down to the traditional monitor comparisons of back-light tech and method, along with panel quality (typically much worse in TVs, though masked by saturation).

Deleted
    nice, I wish I had one of those too

Kinda off topic but I just bought an LG IPS 23" display and blows away my old Samsung by a ton!
    Krimson states...
    Clearly the correct play here is to drop acid everyday.
    Just because you can't easily overdose on acid doesn't mean that dropping 50 hits in a night won't turn you into a drooling retard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beeler77 View Post
    Kinda off topic but I just bought an LG IPS 23" display and blows away my old Samsung by a ton!
    Samsung what?

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    Samsung what?
    Samsung TN-panel, most likely.

Ok no bashing please but since movies are in 24 FPS (some 30 FPS) Why can't you have a 60Hz monitor displaying 30hz on each eye?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aswed View Post
    Ok no bashing please but since movies are in 24 FPS (some 30 FPS) Why can't you have a 60Hz monitor displaying 30hz on each eye?
    Becuase for Gaming, 30Hz isn't smooth enough.. People can still see the difference between each frame, It would also look much more like watching a flippad movie?
    (You ever seen those? takes up about 100 pages, and 10seconds.)

Basically you would be able to see and recognise the frame shutter everytime it "shut" just like on a flip pad you can see the page turn.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    Samsung TN-panel, most likely.
    Very old Syncmaster 21.3" from like 2004 or 5. Syncmaster 213t TFT
    Krimson states...
    Clearly the correct play here is to drop acid everyday.
    Just because you can't easily overdose on acid doesn't mean that dropping 50 hits in a night won't turn you into a drooling retard.

Quote Originally Posted by Aswed View Post
    Movies can get away with being 24 FPS because everything is already pre-recorded in sequence and they add in a motion blur to make it all look smooth. In games each frame is being created on the spot so if you are getting 24 FPS in a game, the computer is going to show you 24 frames each second no matter what you are doing. So if you move in between a frame being created and the next frame being created, some of the movement will be lost because it isn't creating enough frames to keep up with you moving in the game for it to appear fluid. It is like you recorded 100 frames of a movie and then you went back and deleted a chunk of 3 frames for every 10 frames.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by noremac View Post
    Movies can get away with being 24 FPS because everything is already pre-recorded in sequence and they add in a motion blur to make it all look smooth. In games each frame is being created on the spot so if you are getting 24 FPS in a game, the computer is going to show you 24 frames each second no matter what you are doing. So if you move in between a frame being created and the next frame being created, some of the movement will be lost because it isn't creating enough frames to keep up with you moving in the game for it to appear fluid. It is like you recorded 100 frames of a movie and then you went back and deleted a chunk of 3 frames for every 10 frames.
    I'd like to add to this that YOU are playing the game. Moving the character youself causes you to notice fps a lotmore than seeing someone move it while you're watching, or at least from my experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mercs213 View Post
    I wish I had the money for a 120Hz =(
    You do, the 2233RZ and Acer mentioned earlier cost around the same as a higher-end 60hz.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    You do, the 2233RZ and Acer mentioned earlier cost around the same as a higher-end 60hz.
    *higher end 60Hz with a TN-panel. :P

Thats good to know.

Something else worth knowing is that most decent TV's will have "gaming" mode which will turn off all the extra processing and nullify input lag.

This basically puts the differences between modern day TV's and modern day monitors to nothing more than -

1) TV Tuner
    2) Resolution

Other than that i guess we can say they are the same thing now.
    Also there are monitors that have a TV tuner, like mine
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824005142
    I think the differences between a TV and a monitor were hugely blurred with the switch from analog to digital maybe? I dunno...

PS: Just go to a store like best buy and check out their tv's. Even in movies there is a noticeable difference between 60hz and 120hz (less of a difference between 120 and 240 though... to me at least... though that does enable 120hz 3d).

120Hz (3D) monitors have all the things that we want. I used it before and yes it is quite good. we feel everything like live. everybody wants to use this kind of monitors but they are also very costly compared to the simple one.

So it is a TV (not a monitor)? Oh the resolution is probably 1920 x 1080 at 120 Hz. That's gotta be pretty awesome indeed (granted you have the PC to handle most games on ultra quality at 60 fps).

I curse my 22' monitor for not supporting anything higher than 1280 x 1024 for 75 Hz refresh rate. My head explodes when watching a monitor that has 60 Hz refresh rate (my eyesight is a bit weird, I know).