Thread: ATI Radeon 5830

Deleted

ATI Radeon 5830

Would like to know what your thoughts are on the 5830 as an option in a budget build as they are selling here in the UK only £71?

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Graphics+Cards/ATI/ATI+5800+Series/XFX+ATI+Radeon+HD+5830+1024MB+GDDR5+PCI-Express+Graphics+Card+?productId=45039

H
    ow does this card stack up against the GTX460 768mb? I cant seem to find too much information on it other than it slots in between the 5770 and 5850 for price and performance.

Edit: Well used to slot in between them the 5770 is actually £20 more expensive now :P

10+ Year Old Account
    The 30 series is AMD's "Low" or "HTPC" series graphics cards, AFAIK. I'd stick with the 460 768MB. (Or save up a little more and go for the 1GB to air on the safe side.)

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    The 30 series is AMD's "Low" or "HTPC" series graphics cards, AFAIK. I'd stick with the 460 768MB. (Or save up a little more and go for the 1GB to air on the safe side.)
    The 5830 is a high-end budget-gaming card, AFAIK.
    AMD uses the second number to denote gaming or media, like, a 5430 would be a HTPC-card (made the number up).

EDIT: Not a budget-gaming card, but a high-end budget.
    The 5650 was the budget-one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    58xx is high end. 30 is the "low" high end. It should perform similar to a sligthly OC'd GTX 460 1GB.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Almost all HDxx30 level cards are equivalent to something between the GTx40 and GTx20 cards (So 5830 would be equal to something between a a GT440 and GT420).
    There is no way

no way in the world

that theres even a slight chance

of a GT 440 outperforming the HD 5830.

or even the GT 450 for that matter

Really!

edit: here's an HWcompare automated jiggmatron. Really the Hd 5830 is a scaled down 5870 (more scaled down than the 5850 but it roots is from a high-end chip nevertheless). Meanwhile the GT 440 was designed for OEM's who just wants to advertise "dedicated gpu with lots of memory" and don't really want an expensive chip to put in there.
    Last edited by Wries; 2011-06-16 at 08:15 PM.

Deleted
    At £71 that is a lot of bang for your buck if it is anywhere near the performance of a GTX 460 A decent 460 will set me back Double the price of the 5830.

This card will be going in an old AM3 rig and used for 2-3 months while i wait on insurance money for my own PC which had a fight with alot of water(with maybe a fish or two added in for good measure!) and died.

When i get my own PC up and running again i will be kindly donating this to a kid i know who plays on a shitty Dell laptop so it would be nice if the 5830 was good enough to last him a wee bit of time with the Phenom II 955.

Oh poop nearly forgot to ask, Do you think a OCZ Stealth 500w PSU will be alright with this card? Think it has 2 12v rails @ 20 amps each. Thanks in advance