Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Sandy Bridge "cold boots"

So I still have the issue from before where the machine begins to boot, dies, then boots when fans have come to a halt. This usually only happens once before the computer proceeds to function like normal.

This is apparently a known issue with SandyBridge, but just how common? And should I return the mobo for a new one, or would that have the same issue? x_x;

What motherboard are you using, and have you tried updating your BIOS? My first P8P67 Pro did that all the time, but since I got the replacement board, I haven't had that happen.

Have you gone into your BIOS and turned on "power on by PCIe"? Got rid of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    So I still have the issue from before where the machine begins to boot, dies, then boots when fans have come to a halt. This usually only happens once before the computer proceeds to function like normal.

This is apparently a known issue with SandyBridge, but just how common? And should I return the mobo for a new one, or would that have the same issue? x_x;
    I think I have this aswell, you mean when you turn on the computer. It loads then at about 15 secs after you turned it on it re-boots itself but then it works fine?
    Playing since 2007.

Using the Asus P8P67 (no suffixes like PRO, LE or anything mentioned)

Got a few suggestions from customer support.
    a. Check if it's not a specific RAM stick causing the issue by testing one and one.
    b. Test if it's the powersupply by "forcibly powering it"
    c. Clear the CRAM again (only did this prior to flashing bios to new version)

How would I do the "power on PCIe" tho? Not seen any such thing.

@Nab: Yeah, that's about it.

It's in one of the BIOS menus, system devices or something like that (in the tab to the right of the overclocking menus in advanced mode... assuming your BIOS is the same as my BIOS)

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...-Cold-Boot-Fix

Good luck.

Using the Asus P8P67 (no suffixes like PRO, LE or anything mentioned)

Got a few suggestions from customer support.
    a. Check if it's not a specific RAM stick causing the issue by testing one and one.
    b. Test if it's the powersupply by "forcibly powering it"
    c. Clear the CRAM again (only did this prior to flashing bios to new version)

@Nab: Yeah, that's about it.

Nope, didn't fix it. :U Gonna try and check if it's either of the RAM sticks now.

Nope, didn't fix it. :U Gonna try and check if it's either of the RAM sticks now.
    Hm, that's unfortunate. Have you tried clearing the CMOS with the jumper on the board? http://forum.ncixus.com/forums/?mode...er=1&subpage=1

Already swapped the jumper. Gonna remove the battery next time.

It's accepted for RMA, so now I'm just waiting for them to ship me the anti-static bag I asked them to send, then ship it back to them.

More importantly, they no longer carry the P8P67 board (that is, the specific model), so I'll be refunded my investment if they cannot resolve the issue and the mobo's considered defect. Gonna order the Sabertooth P67 if I can if things go well.

Thoughts?

wait, so its not working as intended? D:
    my asus p8p67 pro + i5 2500k does the same. power up -> shut down after 3 sec, for 3 sec then it automatically powers up again and boots normally.
    should i worry?

ps: latest bios
    Last edited by Nebthet; 2011-07-14 at 09:20 AM.
    Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor, consulta el manual.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Drunken, I have the exact same mobo as you, Asus P8P67, nothing else, no M, no Pro, nothing.

Mine did this as well for awhile.... then at one point, it just stopped. /shrug
    My computer works perfectly. <3 I think it just has to do with newerish computers. It's something like a testing procedure, or something like that, from what I've read from people on these forums. Been awhile since anyone has talked about it though!

---------- Post added 2011-07-14 at 09:24 AM ----------

Also, just read some of your more recent replies, my motherboard was accepted for RMA for something completely un-related, a crashing problem that caused loud noises at random, that has since gone away since I installed Win7 onto an SSD, so I think they were going to accept RMA for a perfectly fine motherboard. Don't be too hasty in sending it back, I don't think you need to worry.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Drunken, I have the exact same mobo as you, Asus P8P67, nothing else, no M, no Pro, nothing.

Mine did this as well for awhile.... then at one point, it just stopped. /shrug
    My computer works perfectly. <3 I think it just has to do with newerish computers. It's something like a testing procedure, or something like that, from what I've read from people on these forums. Been awhile since anyone has talked about it though!

Im sorry, but if your computer restarts without reason, there is something wrong. The hell it is some kind of testing thing :P

I would just get a new mobo, or try to figure it out. But looking at it, you tried a lot already.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    Im sorry, but if your computer restarts without reason, there is something wrong. The hell it is some kind of testing thing :P

I would just get a new mobo, or try to figure it out. But looking at it, you tried a lot already.[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    I did a lot to try and fix the "problem".... however when it came down to it, these cold boots weren't affecting how the computer ran. I hear it was something normal with a lot of Asus Sandybridge motherboards, maybe it fixed when I flashed one of the newer BIOS editions, who knows. However, having it boot like that and then run perfectly is no reason to RMA imo.
    "A flower.

BIOS update fixes it at least for most if not all Asus boards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinaaja View Post
    BIOS update fixes it at least for most if not all Asus boards.
    KABOOM BABY. Thanks Hinaaja, you confirmed my above post. <3
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebthet View Post
    wait, so its not working as intended? D:
    my asus p8p67 pro + i5 2500k does the same. power up -> shut down after 3 sec, for 3 sec then it automatically powers up again and boots normally.
    should i worry?

ps: latest bios
    That's odd, at least for P8P67 deluxe and Sabertooth that was fixed with BIOS update ages ago. Oh yea and this is from personal experience, I have had these 2 myself

---------- Post added 2011-07-14 at 12:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    KABOOM BABY. Thanks Hinaaja, you confirmed my above post. <3
    Your welcome

It's a luxury problem by all means, but when neither bios flashing, several attempts to ascertain it's been reset properly, RAM repositioned to check all the slots, etc...

You know what, I'm too old for this shit. Particularly when this is an error appearing in 2% of the boards apparently. I want one of the 98% remaining. :U

And to be more clear again:
    Flashing bios to its newest version did not work.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    My old P67A-G43 did it. My P8Z68V Pro does not.

At work, my P8P67 LE doesn't, but it's not overclocked.
    red panda red panda red panda!