Deleted

Buying a new Sound Card

Im stuck on which card to get, some of them have been out for a while. I am a little out of the sound card loop, since iv been using on board sound for a long time now

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD Soundcard - PCI Express
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/234814

Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series Soundcard - PCI-Express
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/148375

Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro 7.1 Soundcard - PCI-Express
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/145851

Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Soundcard - Retail Boxed
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/127553
    Last edited by mmoc796e664f5d; 2011-06-17 at 03:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    unless there is something wrong with the your onboard I can't recommend buying one and definitely not a creative since you have to buy a special adapter just to get it to work with front panel connectors on your case and even with those adapters the mic still don't work for shit
    I retract the statement about the front panel connector apparently the xgamer one you linked has an Intel HD compatible front panel connector.
    didn't bother checking the rest since thats alot of money just for some extra crap that probably wont be used other then to pimp your pc
    Last edited by lockblock; 2011-06-17 at 03:58 PM.

While on-board cards aren't necessarily bad (in fact, they are a lot closer to the high-end than they were a few years ago), I've heard that Creative isn't that hot these days. They were in the good old days, thoguh.

I'd advocate for an Asus Xonar.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    While on-board cards aren't necessarily bad (in fact, they are a lot closer to the high-end than they were a few years ago), I've heard that Creative isn't that hot these days. They were in the good old days, thoguh.

I'd advocate for an Asus Xonar.
    Agreed, the only time i'd take the Creative over the Asus is if it was free, which mine was.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

If you are going to use normal speakers a dedicated soundcard won't help you much against a onboard one, maybe the dac is a bit better but.. the amplifier used will be on the speakers, and ultimately a system is just has good has it's weakest link, if you use mainly headphones, and I mean good headphones a soundcard will help a good bit.
    For more info you may want to read trough this thread.

Deleted
    So somthing like this then? There are lot of different Xonars there.
    #
    Asus Xonar D2X Soundcard - 7.1 PCI-Express

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/141346

Last edited by mmoc796e664f5d; 2011-06-17 at 04:46 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Onboard Audio
    Audio Chipset: VIA VT1708S
    Audio Channels: 8 Channels

You have onboard audio, you don't need a sound card unless you're doing professional work
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    While on-board cards aren't necessarily bad (in fact, they are a lot closer to the high-end than they were a few years ago), I've heard that Creative isn't that hot these days.
    The common Realtek audio chipset can't do frequencies above 20khz at all really, and struggles a bit with lows as well. But you'd need significantly above average speakers to hear it, or higher quality headphones. Not to mention your hearing will need to be near perfect.

The perhaps biggest reason in modern times is because its not uncommon that there are interference and noise issues however. Helicopter noises, especially on sound inputs, are still not uncommon on the latest Z68 boards.

Creative has suffered horribly really ever since the Vista audio revamp. It completely killed the EAX advantage they had previously relied on, and they have never been able to recover adequately since. Signal to Noise ratio is still good, and they do still do better when used for older EAX based titles, but the Xonars do a bit better otherwise.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-06-17 at 05:51 PM.

Deleted
    Apparetly my on board does

The onboard 8-channel HD audio (High Definition Audio, previously codenamed Azalia) CODEC enables high-quality 192KHz/24-bit audio output,

But how can i check it really does?

Deleted
    Does what?
    Keep in mind that its rarely meaningful / a good idea to run above 48KHz/24-bit.