Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I boot from a 50/60GB SSD, but I don't put my games on it.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    I'm guessing you don't have an SSD!
    http://i.imgur.com/FigVI.jpg
    Or he has a 120GB+ one.
    Still, 44.5 GB for 1 game....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    Absolutely, since the game would go to the cache (slow HDD) before the game MPQs (fast SSD).
    Perhaps the reverse might give slightly better performance then? Keep the Cache files on the SSD and let them get huge so the data files aren't accessed as often, but put the Data folder (or at least the large MPQ files) on the HDD and use the symbolic linkage.

In any case, there are other ways to free up space on a small SSD that don't sacrifice game performance: Disable hibernation, system restore, and drive indexing. Move the page file to the HDD or just keep a very small one on the SSD depending on RAM size. (some people roll without one entirely) Keep recycle bin size low, use symbolic links to put windows media folders (documents, pictures, etc) on the HDD, browser cache kept small or move to HDD and linked back, windows temp folders regularly deleted or moved to HDD and linked back, etc.

Also, some less important wow folders could be moved to the HDD and linked without impacting loading speeds, not that they take up a ton of space, but still maybe useful to some: Screenshots, Updates, Errors, Logs.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmon View Post
    Perhaps the reverse might give slightly better performance then? Keep the Cache files on the SSD and let them get huge so the data files aren't accessed as often, but put the Data folder (or at least the large MPQ files) on the HDD and use the symbolic linkage.

In any case, there are other ways to free up space on a small SSD that don't sacrifice game performance: Disable hibernation, system restore, and drive indexing. Move the page file to the HDD or just keep a very small one on the SSD depending on RAM size. (some people roll without one entirely) Keep recycle bin size low, use symbolic links to put windows media folders (documents, pictures, etc) on the HDD, browser cache kept small or move to HDD and linked back, windows temp folders regularly deleted or moved to HDD and linked back, etc.

Also, some less important wow folders could be moved to the HDD and linked without impacting loading speeds, not that they take up a ton of space, but still maybe useful to some: Screenshots, Updates, Errors, Logs.
    I do several of these things. I used to move the entire User directory(don't try this at home!) to another drive, but I only had access to non TRIM SSDs when I did that. Now I move both Temp folders and the cache folders for all the browsers I use. I have a 50GB partition I use just for these things. Also, you can change the location of the media folders without symlinking, iirc anyhow. Also, I don't use the recycle bin, I set it to just delete files.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2