Thread: 0x0000124 BSOD

0x0000124 BSOD

So i came to my computer the other day and found a very sad sad site. A 0x0000124 BSOD. My rig is running a i7 2600k Sandybridge currently, and I was told that a 124 BSOD is normally due to not enough/to much QPI/VTT voltage.

So i restarted the computer, it had been stable for weeks. But now we are getting weather that is quite a bit warmer. The computer was still maintaining 100 degrees farenheit ambient, and reached 130-140 degrees under load.

After restarting the computer It returned the same BSOD immediately. So i fiddled with QPI/VTT, and nothing worked. I lowered memory overclock, nothing worked. I lowered processor overclock, nothing. Currently I have worked for 1 day+ worth of time just trying to overclock the computer at all. The processor isn't budging. I can successfully boot with my memory overclocked to the normal levels, but I can no longer select anything but "Auto" for the processor, else it returns the 0x0000124 BSOD.

On a wierd note, the motherboard is an ASUS P8P67-PRO B3 Rev. This means that when I overclock and it doesn't work my BIOS wont even post. Everytime I enter my normal overclocking specifications my BIOS posts, but once i hit the welcome screen the BSOD re-appears. Please say there is some sort of fix 8(. This is very frustrating.

Currently I have my memory overclocked, but my 2600k is sitting at manufacturer specifications. I wouldn't have bought the K if i intended to use it this way. I am using a Corsair a70 processor cooler. It should be more than sufficient to run this processor at the 5Ghz i want to see.

Any help would be much appreciated, If you need any logs just ask.

10+ Year Old Account
    Try leaving your memory unoverclocked, and make sure you're not overclocking through your PCB. Leave that at 100.

Have you run any hardware diagnostic tools to check your memory/HDD?

I ran Memtest for 14 passes today, no errors whatsoever. Haven't ran any tests on the HDD's yet. Planning on leaving it on tonight to see if that could be the case.

I have been overclocking strictly with the multiplier. I have re-seated the processor and replaced coolant twice. Even reseated video card and memory, cleaned the entire case with canned air.

I have just tried playing with the Vcore voltage with no change to the processor speed. I cannot boot to the OS with any Vcore above 1.275. Does this point to the processor having some sort of fault? Prior to this my voltages hovered around 1.46-1.5 without any problems.

Does the overclocking I have done void a sandybridge warranty?

Thanks for the replies so far

15+ Year Old Account
    A 0x124 BSOD is usually a lack of vCore with Sandy Bridge chips, not VTT/QPI.

And any overclocking technically voids the warranty.